The type of floribunda "Leonardo da Vinci" got its name for a reason. The flower combines historical beauty and modern chic. With his presence, he is able to decorate any personal plot, and thanks to his unpretentious care, he became a favorite with many gardeners. Let us consider in more detail the features of growing and caring for flowers "Leonardo da Vinci."
The variety appeared in 1993 and quickly gained popularity flower growers from around the world. Bushes of this type are straight, densely growing, on average reach a height of 70-110 cm. Leaves are dark green in color, abundant, of a leathery structure. Flower buds thick, double, rich pink color, up to 10 cm in diameter.
In one brush can be 5-6 flowers. The aroma of flowers is light and persistent. "Leonardo da Vinci" blooms for quite a long time, until the first frost. The plant loves light, is not afraid of heavy rain and drought.
Also, the positive characteristics of floribunda include:
- resistant color of petals,
- unpretentious care,
- high resistance to major flower diseases and pests,
- frost resistance.
Features of growing
Rose "Leonardo da Vinci" can be grown both in open ground and at home. Open root roses are planted in March-April or August-November.
For a soil planting it is important to choose the right place and prepare the ground. To do this, the earth from the holes is mixed with peat, sand and humus (proportion 1: 2: 1) and bone meal with superphosphate is added. Thanks to this combination, seedlings root much faster, and the buds bloom earlier.
In the event that a heavy, dense ground is selected on the plot chosen for planting, drainage is done in it. It contributes to the removal of excess moisture, and also improves the oxygen supply. The pit is made deeper by 20 cm and a layer of expanded clay is poured at its bottom.
Next, landing takes place according to this scheme:
- Pruned seedlings (dead roots are removed, live shortened by 2-3 cm, the stems are cut to a length of 20 cm, while leaving 3-4 leaves).
- Seedlings immersed in water for half an hour before planting.
- Dig a hole with a diameter of 50 cm and a depth of 10 cm more than the root system.
- 12-15 liters of water are poured into the prepared well.
- The rose is lowered into the hole, covered with earth and well tamped (you need to follow the root node, which must be above the surface).
Near the planted bush is recommended to make an earth layer that will hold moisture. Also, the site should be closed from strong gusts of wind, especially on the north side, and surface water.
Video: features of planting roses
"Leonardo da Vinci" is great for breeding at home.
In order to get a good result, you should follow these landing rules:
- choose a bright place on the southern windowsill or on the terrace with good air circulation,
- to take into account the fact that roses need constant watering, and overflow is harmful,
- ensure proper drainage
- constantly loosen the ground around the seedling,
- regularly feed the plant once a week,
- periodically remove dried flowers and leaves.
In winter, after the active flowering is complete, it is enough to put the home rose away from the batteries. To ensure the plant sunlight in the winter using special fitolampy. If you follow these recommendations, the rose will survive the winter without any problems and quickly come to life in the spring.
Care for floribunda is simple, however, we will mention how to water and than to fertilize a plant, how to properly trim a bush and form a crown, as well as how to prepare a rose for wintering. In irrigation, you must adhere to the fact that the soil should always be wet. As soon as the soil dries up - this is a direct signal to watering.
If the rose is periodically fed with fertilizers, it will bloom faster, give more buds and have a richer color and aroma. It is best to use ready-made mixtures for roses with a high content of potassium, nitrate and urea for this purpose. From organic fertilizers, preference is given to compost and humus. To achieve a greater effect, it is recommended to alternate mineral fertilizers with organic matter. Top dressing should be carried out once a week before watering.
In order to form a beautiful crown, it must be cut off. This can be done in the spring, during the period of active growth. Circumcision is carried out moderately, leaving up to 6 buds, which is enough for the emergence of new shoots. With moderate pruning, the rose grows faster and blooms longer.
Despite the fact that “Leonardo da Vinci” is a fairly frost-resistant variety, it is better to prepare it for wintering, especially young cuttings. They warm the plants in the middle of autumn, when their activity decreases. All the leaves are removed from the roses, and the shoots are pruned to 35 cm.
Video: pruning and sheltering roses for the winter
The soil around seedlings abundantly sprinkled with tree bark, sawdust or dry peat. From above flowers are covered with plastic wrap. Thus, by the spring the plant will fully retain all its qualities.
This variety of floribunda is considered one of the most resistant to external pests. However, on his sheets may appear harmful bugs, so it is very important to periodically inspect the plant for extraneous fauna.
Among the main diseases and pests are the following:
- powdery mildew. It affects the leaves, shoots, flowers. The disease is activated in wet weather, after rains. White bloom covers the entire surface of the plant, after which the process of photosynthesis is disturbed and dying occurs. To get rid of this disease, remove all the affected parts from the bush and spray it with copper-soap solution or copper sulfate solution,
- black spot. This disease can manifest itself in the summer if the plant is deficient in potassium. Brown spots cover the outer surface of the leaves, after which they turn yellow and eventually fall off. Spraying Bordeaux liquid or solution "Fundazol" will help to cope with this problem.
To reduce the risk of infecting roses, they are recommended to be planted next to plants such as lavender, calendula, marigolds - they scare off parasites. And if you plant garlic near a rose, it will save it from fungal diseases.
Experienced gardeners believe that the best breeding option for Leonardo da Vinci roses is grafting, as a result of which the possibility of obtaining a high-quality healthy plant is much higher.
For planting bushes using cuttings should follow the following sequence of actions:
- Choose sprigs not less than 5 mm thick.
- The material is cut into pieces of 8-10 cm, each of which should contain 2-3 buds.
- Cuttings carefully inspect for the presence of disease.
- The prepared parts of the plant are filled for half an hour with a phytohormonal solution that protects against parasites.
- In the previously prepared pits with a depth of 12-14 cm, cuttings are planted.
- Cover the plants with a greenhouse (frame with plastic wrap).
- Future bushes provide timely watering, airing and loosening the land.
Video: rose reproduction using cuttings
With a proper cutting procedure and regular care, the plants form a powerful root system and beautiful, healthy flowers. Rose "Leonardo da Vinci" is a very successful universal variety, which requires a minimum of labor costs and time to care.
It is less sensitive to infestation by parasites, it quickly takes root in new places, it is highly frost resistant. Therefore, such floribunda would be an excellent option, both for novice gardeners and for professionals in their field.
There is one subsort - Red Leonardo da Vinci. She bred in 2005. The color is crimson (whereas the traditional Leonardo da Vinci rose is pink). The number of petals in one bud reaches 100 pieces.
We offer you to watch a video about Leonardo da Vinci Red's rose variety:
- In the spring held in late April or early May.
- In the autumn - from mid-September to mid-October.
For planting, a hole 60 cm long, 40 cm wide and 50 cm high is necessary. Seedlings must be healthy, have 3-4 shoots and a strong root system.
- Before planting, the stems are pruned, leaving about 20 cm. When pruning, you must also leave a few leaves.
- Then the seedling is placed in cold water for 30 minutes.
- When planting, a nutrient mixture consisting of sand, humus and peat (1: 1: 1) is used, after which superphosphate fertilizers and some bone meal are added.
- Fill the wells with the resulting mixture, add a little soil on top, and then place the plant, after straightening the roots.
- Landing ground mulch sawdust.
When planting the root knot should not be underground.
- regular watering
- and weed protection.
Conditions of detention: plant needs systematic pruning in the spring and autumn seasons.
If proper care is provided for the rose, it will delight you with its superb look and lush flowering. Several bushes of this rose will make your flower garden stunningly beautiful and will constantly attract the views of others.
- Protected from sudden gusts of wind and surface groundwater.
- The soil is black earth or loam.
Rose does not take root on the sandy soil.
Cold-resistant, good weathering resistance.
Rose does not like overmoistening or drought, moderate humidity is required.
Sunny plot or light penumbra.
- Drying harms the rose, so regular watering is necessary.
- Held about 6 times in the spring and summer.
- As a fertilizer is used:
- mineral compounds (urea, saltpeter, potash fertilizers).
- Organic and mineral fertilizers need to alternate.
- Also suitable complex ready mix for floriculture, which are sold in any store.
- In the spring after the cessation of frosts, it is necessary to slightly trim the crown to form a strong frame.
- Remove diseased, dry and weak branches.
- Dried flowers must be removed along with sepals.
- Gently dig a shrub from all sides, then pry the root ball with a shovel and turn the plant on its side.
- Remove the bush, put on a piece of cloth or film, wrap the roots so that the earth does not spill during transportation.
- At the new place dig a hole (60 cm long, 40 cm wide, 50 cm high).
- Prepare the same fertilizer as in the first planting:
- and peat.
Preparation of cuttings carried out in the fall. Use young twigs about 6 mm thick.
- Each branch is cut to a length of about 10 cm so that they have several buds (the outermost bud should be slightly below the upper edge of the cutting). Above the cuttings cut at a right angle, and below - at an angle of 45 °.
- The cuttings are planted in grooves with a depth of 15 cm (the distance between them is about the same), and the soil around them is warmed with materials at hand, such as sawdust or peat.
- Then put the frame on which the tension polyethylene.
- After this, the construction is additionally warmed.
- Two years seedlings are in greenhouse conditions, and in the third they can be transplanted into separate areas.
Diseases and pests
- In the spring, the rose is treated with blue vitriol to protect against fungus.
- Inadequate ventilation in the winter under cover can cause rose to be damaged by an infectious burn.
- If reddish spots appeared on the plant in the spring, they should be cut out. Then the remaining sections are cleaned and the wounds are covered with garden pitch.
- With a lack of nutrients chlorosis develops, the leaves begin to turn yellow and dry. To solve the problem you need to feed and acidify the soil.
- To protect against spider mites and rosan aphids (when they appear, shoots begin to dry, and a small spider web appears on the leaves) use special preparations:
- Commander and others
- Shchitovka: appears with excessive or insufficient moisture. Small scales appear on the plant. The insect is removed only mechanically, and then the bush is sprayed with Aktar.
- Thrips: settle in buds, prevent their disclosure. A sign of defeat - dark rims on the petals. To solve the problem, it is necessary to destroy the damaged buds, regularly loosen the soil and spray the plant with insecticides.
- Sibling: settles inside shoots, the plant in places of penetration of pests is covered with foam. Destroys bib mechanically by pressing on areas of foam. Then the bush is sprayed with Aktar.
Frequent gardeners mistakes
- When planting several bushes, you need to keep a distance to avoid the development of fungal infections and reduce the number of flowers.
- The ground should not be too wet, otherwise the roots of the flower may rot.
- Despite the resistance to frost, it is recommended to cover bushes for the winter, after cutting off all the inflorescences, foliage and shoots.
- If you do not regularly loosen the ground around the rose, then a lack of air will damage the root system.
Rosa Leonardo da Vinci will be a real find for any gardener. It is reliable and unpretentious, different lush and long flowering. Suitable for registration of flowerbeds, gardens, personal plots. Does not take much space.
Description of the rose by Leonardo da Vinci
Branched bush grows up to 1 m in height. Dark green dense leaves are covered with a wax raid. The edges of the sheet plates are jagged. Branched woody rhizome goes 80–120 cm deep into the soil.
The dense bud of the goblet form exudes a delicate aroma. Pink or white flowers with a diameter of 8–11 cm are mounted on strong petioles. The inflorescence consists of 75–85 smooth petals. On one plant dissolves up to 30 flowers. Each peduncle develops up to 5 buds.
Flowering continues from mid-July to September. In the southern regions of the rose blooms until frost.
The variety is resistant to fungal diseases and infections. Not affected by powdery mildew and cherries. On acidified soils, the leaves lighten and become covered with brown spots.
Flowers are transportable, do not lose their flavor and presentation. In special containers with low temperature stored up to 3-4 weeks.
Planting and caring for a rose by Leonardo da Vinci
The plant prefers moist fertile soil. It grows in open sunny places. In the shade the leaves darken, the number of buds and inflorescences decreases. Plant roses in mid-May or early September.
- Pour a layer of peat or humus into a hole 35–45 cm deep, pour 2 liters of warm water.
- Place the seedling in the pit so that the graft protrudes 5–7 cm above the soil surface.
- Cover the hole with fertile soil, tamp the basal layer of earth.
- Zamulchuyte plant dry sawdust or straw.
In dry weather, water the roses daily, spray the leaves and buds. Do not let the soil dry out. Every spring, remove old, diseased and deformed shoots to form a shrub.
Feed the plant with mineral and organic fertilizers. Loosen the root layer of soil, removing weeds.
Insulate the plant for the winter, covering the branches with rags, fir branches, or hay. In winter, throw a bush with a layer of snow. Under the influence of low temperatures, the young shoots of roses dry and die.
Rosa Leonardo da Vinci is a decorative variety grown in gardens and parks. Unpretentiousness and duration of flowering made it popular in the central and southern regions of Russia.
Description and characteristics
The description of the rose by Leonardo da Vinci is as follows: densely terry inflorescences of bright pink color, in the central part of the plant squared foliage, mainly abundant and leathery. The bush is upright, compact. Blossoming is plentiful, long. Not afraid of rain, burnout. The rose, named after the famous inventor, was bred in 2005. A variety of this flower is gaining popularity among gardeners. Plant selection patent owned by a french breeding companyAwarded for the environmental friendliness of the plant. 2011 has become rich in rewards.
Growth, development and reproduction are influenced by a number of factors. In this regard, the rose leonardo da vinci has its own characteristics.
Features of the plant
A variety of floribunda roses Leonardo da Vinci has earned its name is not so simple. The flower harmoniously combines historical beauty and chic of modernity. The presence of a flower on the garden plot is in itself, beautiful, and due to its unpretentiousness, the plant has become a favorite with a large number of gardeners and flower growers. The rose is characterized by abundant flowering. Ассортимент всевозможных разновидностей широк ввиду селекционных работ, направленных на выведение новых сортов розы.The main breeding material for the breeding of this rose are polyanthic and hybrid tea-flowers.
Bush plant, height parameters - 70 cm-1 m. Stems have glossy leaves dense in structure. They are dark green in color.
The advantage of the plant is the presence of a large number of flowers, as well as abundant flowering. Gentle double flowers have a pink color. From the multi-petal buds, resembling the shape of glasses, comes a delicate, refined fragrance. A feature is the fact that the flowers of the plant are collected in inflorescences. There are varieties of color inflorescences:
Flowers differ in bright and saturated color scale, and also distinguished aroma. The aesthetics of the appearance of the plant are not all the benefits of this group of roses. One inflorescence has about 8 dozen petals. Inflorescence durable. Within 14 days does not lose its attractiveness.
Rose leonardo de vinci is resistant to numerous diseases, unpretentious to the climatic conditions of cultivation, including frost-resistant. It is perfect for group landing, and for single. And in that, and in a different variation, the flower will look amazing: it will be the "highlight" of the flower bed. A significant advantage of the flower is abundant bloom throughout the warm period of the year.
Among the variations of the plant, a special place is occupied by floribunda red Leonardo da Vinci - a universal plant. This is not just a flower, it is a spray rose, which has up to 5 flowers of rosette shape, the diameter of which is 7 cm. Terry differs from its usual fullness and number of petals (up to 100 pieces). Such a rose can be decorated with a hedge - it is indescribably beautiful and creative. Plants can be grown in the garden, indoors. This variety has a raspberry color. The plant is resistant to winter frosts, but needs shelter in the cold season.
Growing a rose is not so difficult. It is important to make the right choice of place for planting, it is possible to grow a flower both outside and as an indoor plant. Planting of roses on the street is carried out in the periods March-April, August-November. Such a flower prefers sunny places, without drafts. The soil at the site of planting should be loose, fertile.
The flower grows well on black soil and loamy soils rich in humus. Before planting in the open ground, the rhizome of the seedling is treated with a weak solution of manganese-acid potassium. Pre-prepared soil. To prepare the soil under the rose, you need to mix the earth with peat, sand, humus (allowable ratio 1: 2: 1), add bone meal and superphosphate. If this recommendation is observed, the plant quickly takes root and blooms. The seedling falls into the hole, up to 50 cm deep.
If the plot of land is characterized by heavy and durable soil, drainage is necessary for planting roses. The presence of drainage makes it possible to improve the supply of oxygen and to ensure the utilization of excess moisture. The hole under the rose is deepened by 60 cm, the bottom is lined with expanded clay.
An important condition that affects the engraftment of the cutting is its correct location in the hole: the distance between the graft and the soil surface should not exceed 20 mm. The root of the plant should be evenly spaced, sprinkled with earth. After planting, the plant needs abundant watering, fertilizer with humus or peat.
After preliminary preparation of the place it is necessary to prepare saplings for planting. In this case, it is important to follow a strict sequence:
- Processing of seedlings: pruning (dead roots are removed, live ones are shortened by 3 cm, stem length is 20 cm, 4 leaves should be left),
- Before planting, seedlings are lowered into the water for 0.5 hours,
- Make a hole in diameter of 0.5 meters, and a depth of 10 cm more than the length of the roots,
- Liberally pour the hole - it will take up to 15 liters of water,
- A sapling falls into the ground, is being compacted. The root node should be above the ground.
A ground layer will be useful near the plant: it will protect the rose from drying out, protect it from gusts of wind and surface water. If the landing area is open to sunlight, the young plant will not be harmed by the reflective screen: it will create a shadow and diffuse light.
An important issue in the cultivation of roses is to care for her. Like any plant, the rose of this species requires care. In order for the plant to bloom profusely during a warm period, it is necessary:
- loosening the soil at the planting site,
- application of organic fertilizers. Feed the rose should be ready mixes for roses. Such mixtures contain potassium, nitrate and urea, which are necessary for the plant. Organic and mineral fertilizers alternate. Top dressing is carried out directly before watering,
- weed removal
- plentiful watering. The soil must be wet. It is necessary to refrain from watering during the heat in the daytime, water flows not onto the plant, but under the bush. Water from leaves and flowers should be avoided.
- pruning crown. To make the rose look beautiful, you need to cut it. This is done in spring, during a period of active growth and development. Pruning is moderate: you need to leave 6 buds - this amount is enough to form new shoots. Moderate circumcision allows the rose to grow faster, longer bloom,
- soil mulching.
Leonardo da Vinci's rose bushes are straight, thick, reaching a height of about 1 meter. Foliage is dark green, leathery.
Flowers are double, 10 cm in diameter, of a bokal form, with multiple petals, about 70-80 pieces in one bud. Color petals hot pink. Flowers are located on the branches in a group of 3-5 pieces or singly (see photo).
Flowering is almost constant, abundant, each flower is kept for 2 weeks without changing the shape and color. The aroma is thin, fruity.
There is a variation of this variety - Red Leonardo da Vinci rose. It differs from Leonardo da Vinci's roses in a bright crimson color, with a slightly smaller flower diameter and even greater double-edgedness - about 100 petals on one bud.
Roses Leonardo da Vinci planted in the garden and in closed ground, both singly and in groups. They look great as a hedge, framed gazebos, planted along the tracks, as a decoration of balconies and windows.
This rose is also successfully grown at home. Shrubs grown in pots are smaller, but this does not detract from their attractiveness.
Selection of landing site and conditions of detention
To plant a Leonardo da Vinci rose in the garden, you need to choose a well-lit, warm place with good air circulation, but without drafts. The flower does not like the cold northern winds. It is necessary to avoid areas with too high location of groundwater, otherwise the roots of the bush may rot. Otherwise, this variety is unpretentious.
When growing Leonardo da Vinci roses at home, the following features should be taken into account:
- Roses need good lighting, lots of fresh air. They are best placed on the south window. In the summer, it is advisable to take out flowerpots with roses on an open balcony or terrace, and in the winter it is good to ventilate the room where they are located.
- It is necessary to water the plants well, but not to flood them. Drainage in pots and vases should be required. To improve the permeability of the soil should be regularly loosened.
- During the flowering period, a rose in a flowerpot needs regular feeding, at least once a week.
- Since the roots of roses do not tolerate cramped pots, as they grow, they must be periodically transplanted into larger containers.
- Having watered with cold water and drafts have a detrimental effect on the rose, you should try to prevent this.
- Periodically it is necessary to remove the flowering buds and leaves, as well as pruning to form a beautiful crown of the bush.
- With the onset of the winter dormant period, watering must be reduced and feeding stopped.
- The ideal temperature for a rose in winter should be slightly lower than room temperature, so the pot should be placed away from heating appliances.
- Illumination in winter should be good, if there is not enough sunlight, you need to install special lamps that imitate sunlight.
Leonardo da Vinci Rose Care
Watering needs regular. It is necessary to monitor the drying out of the soil under the bushes and water it in a timely manner, especially during drought. Once a week it is necessary to pour 10-12 liters of distilled water at room temperature under a bush. Watering should be done either early in the morning or late in the evening, but not in the afternoon with bright sun. In the autumn, after the end of flowering, watering should stop.
For abundant and long-term flowering, the rose must be cut. In the spring, during the growing season, pruning is done to form a beautiful crown for 5-6 eyes. This contributes to the enhanced growth of new shoots and the renewal of old ones. It also happens that too much pruning delays the beginning of the flowering of the rose until August, and changes the varietal individuality.
For rapid growth and abundant flowering from the second year of the bush's life, it is recommended to make regular dressings with ready-made or self-prepared mixtures. Compost, humus, urea, saltpeter and potash fertilizers are well suited as fertilizers for roses. In the spring and summer, about 6 supplements are made, alternating between mineral fertilizers and organic fertilizers. At the beginning of autumn produce one dressing with potassium sulfate.
After each watering, the soil around the rose should be loosened, weeded away from the weeds and mulched for longer retention of moisture. This not only improves water permeability, but also contributes to a better flow of air to the roots of the plant.
Despite the high resistance of the roses of this variety to diseases with the wrong care or under adverse conditions can develop a fungus. For the prevention of the bush in the spring is better to handle copper sulphate.
If you do not loosen the soil in time and do not weed weeds, this can also bring on fungal diseases.
Improperly constructed shelter for the winter contributes to an infectious burn. If there is insufficient ventilation and excessive moisture in the shelter, the plant can infect the fungus. Red spots appear on the shoots, and they gradually die off. Therefore, after removing the shelter, it is necessary to check the bushes and remove the damaged shoots, and smear the cut areas with garden pitch.
If a rose lacks nutrients, then its leaves will wither and turn yellow - these are signs of chlorosis. You can cope with it by top dressing and acidification of the soil.
The main enemies of roses are aphid and spider mite. Aphids occur on shoots and in the bases of the leaves, which gradually deform and die.
If the leaves are entangled by a thin spider web - this is a sign of the appearance of the spider mite.
To get rid of these misfortunes, the bushes must first be well shed with a stream of water, and then sprayed with special preparations (Komandor, Alatar, Iskra, Aktellik) according to the instructions.
Rose bushes can be attacked by the following insect pests:
- Rosana moth You can find out about her presence by the leaves of a rose tucked into tubes. It is necessary to collect and burn them, wash the stems with soapy water and treat with Nitrofen and Spark with insecticides.
- Rosan sawfly. Signs of damage - small holes in the leaves, shoots wither. It is necessary to destroy the damaged parts of the plant, rinse it with a stream of water from a hose and apply the preparations Alatar and Intro-vir.
- Shchitovka. Appears when insufficient or excessive moisture. On the shoots and leaves, you can notice the scales. This insect can not be destroyed by poisons, it is collected mechanically and the bushes are treated with Aktar.
- Thrips. Settled inside the buds, not allowing them to open. Determination of the lesion is possible by light rims on the petals. Thrips get used to any poisons, so the struggle with them is complicated.
- Sibling - pennitsa. It settles inside the shoots and forms white foam lumps. To destroy the pest they press mechanically on the places of foam formation, thereby removing the pest. Then sprayed the plant with insecticides Aktellik, Aktara, Commander.
Shelter rose bushes for the winter
In late autumn, when the first frosts come, from the rose bushes it is necessary to remove all the remaining leaves, cut the shoots to 1/3. Under the base of the bush fall asleep dry ground with peat and humus. When the frosts begin below -10 degrees, the bushes are covered with straw or spruce branches. Above them, a framework is constructed and covered with non-woven material.
With the onset of spring, the shelter is gradually dismantled so that the roses are accustomed to the open air and not get burned in the sun. In the middle of the day, the shelter is opened for several hours, and in the evening they are closed again. So do before the onset of constant heat.
Dignity rose varieties Leonardo da Vinci
After analyzing the reviews of flower growers about this rose, you can make the following conclusion about its main advantages:
- Beautiful terry flowers of bright pink color.
- Pleasant fruity aroma.
- Long and abundant flowering.
- Unpretentious care.
- Frost resistance
- High degree of resistance to diseases.
- Good survival rate of cuttings.
- Great use in landscape design.
Among the shortcomings, it is possible to note only the need for shelter for the winter when grown in cold climatic zones.
Flower in honor of the great personality
The rose of Leonardo da Vinci, or the rose of the class Floribunda - this is the name of the bush plant, which appeared as a result of the crossing of the polyanthous and hybrid tea varieties of roses. Bred in France in 1994 due to its bright beauty and unpretentiousness, it quickly won universal love.
The variety of roses, named after the famous artist, grows in the form of compact erect bushes up to 1.5 meters high with dense glossy leaves and abundant, almost continuous flowering. The plant is characterized by round double flowers with a large number of petals - up to 50 in one bud, which usually has a diameter of about 10 cm. Bright flowers are not afraid of rain and do not lose their saturated pink color even under the scorching sun.
Another type of plant belonging to the Floribunda group, the Red Leonardo da Vinci rose, bears the name of the great artist. The variety obtained in 2003 in the course of breeding works, stands out against the other magnificent red flowers, gathered in a neat brush. Like the pink "da Vinci", Red can bloom almost all year round and withstands precipitation.
How to plant such flowers?
In order to grow a healthy and abundantly blooming Leonardo da Vinci rose variety, it is important to adhere to the following guidelines when planting a plant:
- to choose for landing a site protected from gusty cold winds and surface groundwater,
- plant pink seedlings in black soil or loam. The plant loves slightly acid loose soil and does not take root on the sandy,
- use when planting nutrient mixture. It is prepared from clay, peat and humus in equal parts, with the addition of superphosphate fertilizers and bone meal. The resulting mixture with a small amount of coarse sand and garden soil fill the wells,
- spread the roots well and deepen the grafting site of the seedling for at least 5 cm,
- mulch the shavings with chips or sawdust to preserve moisture and the quality of the soil.
Despite the resistance of the variety to atmospheric precipitation and low temperatures, shrubs are recommended to cover for the winter, after cutting off from them all the inflorescences, foliage and shoots. Spruce branches or dry foliage covered with nonwoven material on top can be an excellent protection option.
Before planting this beauty in their area, gardeners try to gather as much information about the plant as possible. After all, it is better to prepare in advance for the difficulties that may arise during the cultivation of Leonardo da Vinci's roses.
Reviews of this variety can be reduced to the fact that:
- the rose blooms throughout the season
- the buds are very bright, keep their shape well, the petals do not crumble and do not fade at all,
- shrub strong, almost not sick and tolerates winter,
- the plant does not immediately reveal its beauty: an abundant bright bloom can only begin in the second year after planting,
- This garden rose does not like side by side with daisies.
The high decorative value of the plant, long-term lush flowering and unpretentiousness in the care made this shrub a favorite culture of experienced flower growers and a real muse of landscape designers. Get to know her closer - and you will surely join her numerous army of admirers!
Read other interesting headings
The main feature of the variety is that it blooms continuously and always large inflorescences. The very shape of the inflorescences is compared with tea varieties of roses. Bushes can boast of their beauty thanks to these inflorescences, because they are able to have different shapes and sizes. There are many varieties that have terry, cupped or flat buds. Another feature is that the scent of roses is completely unobtrusive and pleasant.
First you need to prepare the ground. It must be nutritious, so the ground from the holes must be mixed with peat, sand and humus in the following proportions - 1/2/1. Then you should add superphosphates and a small amount of bone meal. Благодаря такому питательному грунту, розы хорошо приживутся и быстро начнут расти.
При плотном и тяжелом грунте делается дополнительный дренаж для отвода лишней влаги. Ямку для посадки нужно сделать глубже, а на дно уложить керамзит или измельченный красный кирпич. Затем посадка производится следующим образом:
- shoots are removed from the prepared seedlings and live roots are slightly trimmed, the stems must also be cut so that their length does not exceed 20 cm, and the leaves do not need to be touched,
- before planting seedlings you need to put them in cold water and stand for 30-40 minutes,
- for varieties of the Floribunda group, the hole should be made with a diameter of 50 cm, and the depth should be greater than the root itself by about 10 cm.
After preparation, the hole should be filled with water, about 15 liters, and when the ground is already shaken, then you can plant seedlings.
During landing the sapling should be kept upright and gently covered with prepared soil, slightly tamping. You should ensure that the radical knot does not go underground. It should be left slightly above the ground, otherwise the bush will not be able to settle down.
After planting the flower you need to make a roller around the bush from the ground, which will allow you to retain water during watering. Floribunda roses are light-loving plants, but for the first weeks after planting the lighting should be moderate, otherwise young sprouts can get burned. And it should also be noted that roses have large bushes, so if they are planted in groups, the distance between the bushes should be decent for them to develop freely.
To the bushes well developed and were able to show all their beauty, it is necessary to give them due attention and care, which included:
Regularly need to water the soil and it should be in a wet state, if the top layer dries out, then the bush is watered, but only it is impossible to flood the plant.
Cut the crown of the bush is necessary during the period of active growth, it is not only considered a sanitary measure, but also allows you to form the shape of the bush. Shrubs must be cut moderately, about 5-6 buds, this is enough for the formation of new shoots and the formation of a bush. And also thanks to a moderate pruning rose blooms.
With the help of top dressing the plant grows faster, and the flowers become bright and saturated color. Complex preparations are suitable for feeding, but you can make it yourself. The rose is not indifferent to humus and compost, and also prefers mineral compounds, for example, urea, potassium and nitrate.
Top-dressing is best done several times during the spring and summer period and at the same time with various fertilizers:
- twice with nitrogen fertilizers, and in the early spring add a mullein solution to the soil,
- 2 times during budding and then once during flowering,
- In early autumn, make the dressing with potassium sulfate once.
Fight against diseases and pests
The flower has excellent resistance to almost all known diseases. But in case of adverse conditions, all the same fungus may appeartherefore, in order to prevent spring, it is best to treat the plant with copper sulphate.
But besides this, diseases can seize the moment and overtake the plant, if the area around it is heavily polluted with weeds, and the roots get insufficient air. Therefore, the flower must be properly and promptly watered, and the soil to loosen and remove weeds.
If the rose is wrong to cover for the winterthen she can get an infectious burn. In the shelter there may be increased humidity or insufficient ventilation, and then the rose will strike the fungus. At this time, begin to die off shoots. If red spots appear on the shoots after the cover has been removed, it is best to cut them off. Wounds need to be lubricated with garden baking and when sunny days come, the disease will completely recede.
If the flower is not enough nutrientsThis can lead to chlorosis. This can be seen on the leaves, they begin to turn yellow and wilt. At the first signs of illness you need to feed and acidify the soil.
How to protect against pests?
The main pest of the rose is aphid and spider mite. Aphids may appear on the shoots or leaf bases. The leaves begin to take on a different look, become deformed and gradually dry out. If a small cobweb appeared on the leaves, it means that a tick settled there. For the destruction of the main pests are used drugs such as Commander, Alatar, Spark and Aktellik. Before processing the bush is best to pour water from a hose.
But other pests can also attack the rose:
- Rosana moth,
- Rosan sawfly,
To combat the above-mentioned pests, different preparations are used, but Aktara is used for any pests.
Rose da Vinci will decorate any areaIt looks beautiful and noble. The grade was highly appreciated for its unpretentiousness and the highest decorative effect. But besides this, the rose blooms profusely and for a long time, and is resistant to many diseases with proper care. By this she attracts the attention of many gardeners.