I was very lucky - I found my grandfather alive. When I was little, my grandfather was harvesting wheat near their home (he worked as a combiner), and my grandmother sometimes asked to take him lunch wrapped in a towel. And returning home, I managed to make for a grandmother a bouquet of ears of corn and simple field flowers plucked along the way.
I still like them. And today, having bought a cottage, I decided to arrange in the courtyard not a fashionable rose garden or an alpine slide, but a mini-field with spikelets (we later collect them and grow it into salads), cornflowers, daisies, and of course, poppies.
All the advantages of this culture
Although the flowers of the decorative poppy "live" only a couple of days, sowing the whole bag, you can get more than twenty bushes. Each gives several flowers ... In general, such a flower bed will be about a month.
Everyone knows that poppies are red. But they can also be white, and pink, and purple.
The process of blooming this flower is just fascinating, and everything happens very quickly:
One thing is bad: it is difficult to cut to put in the house. First, poppies do not stand for a long time. Secondly, the petals of this culture are so delicate that you touch a little and creases immediately appear on them. Therefore, I immediately mulch a flower bed, because getting rid of weeds and at the same time not injuring poppy flowers is very difficult.
But decorative poppy:
- not picky about the soil
- not afraid of a cold snap, and drought,
- can perfectly decorate an open flower bed without fear of light.
This unpretentious plant is afraid of only one - the marsh area. Therefore, it is better for him to choose a flower bed with loose earth. And if at the same time it is also nutritious, the flowers will bloom - to all the neighbors at the sight.
Is it legal to grow such flowers?
- Decorative poppy is not food (the so-called poppy soporific), it does not have narcotic properties, which means it can be planted. True, not all species: we are also recommended to give up on the eastern, bracts, and bristly-growing poppies.
- On your site for beauty you can plant up to 10 bushes. If there is more, the “organs” may get worried.
In any case, I would advise it this way: if you don’t have the calmest situation in the area (drug addicts are hunted down - this is easy to understand by frequent petty thefts), and you like poppy a lot, choose other decorative shades of the flower instead of red.
For example, you can sow purple or pink poppies (among the East Pikoti there are such). After all, you will not explain to various villains that “the wrong” poppy grows on a flowerbed - having seen simple red petals, they will still fit and only wipe the flowers for nothing.
Important: there is still a peony poppy (Papaver). It does not look like food, but it is also considered to be narcotic, and some bad people hunt it. Therefore, you can plant such beauty only if your fence is high and without tears.
The brightest species and varieties
Poppy can be different - one-year and long-term, with bare and fluffy leaves. The genus of poppies includes up to 100 different species (+ varieties).
In flower beds, we mainly grow perennials.
High (up to 80 cm) culture with large, densely pubescent leaves.
The flowers are scarlet, often have a black dot near the base. Their diameter is about 11 cm. They bloom from May to June.
This is a comfortable culture. Seeds can be sown both in spring and late autumn; they can be stored for up to 3 years. Poppy breeds well by dividing the bush.
If the flowers are cut at the stage of buds (bursting, with peeping petals), they can stand in a vase for several days.
The most interesting varieties:
- Perry white This high (up to 90 cm) poppy has standard for a kind of black dots near the base, but its petals are not red, but white.
- Pikoti. In the photo it is orange, but in nature it is milk flowers, bordered with bright red.
- Goliath. Standard red flowers.
- Salmon Glow. Semi-double variety. The middle of the flowers is dark, the base color of the petals is pink (salmon).
- Kleine Tanzerin. Pink corrugated variety, named after the ballerina's skirt, which he is very similar to.
In a cold climate, it is more often an annual, and in a warm one — a perennial (but it is not worth keeping such a poppy in a flower bed for more than three years without updating).
Despite the name, such poppy leaves can be not only bare, but also trimmed.
Flowers bloom small (up to a maximum of 5 cm), but on the bushes they grow a lot at once. Shades of petals: orange, yellow, white. In addition, starting in May, such a culture will bloom to the very frost. If desired, they can also be cut off, but you only need to choose half-budgets.
You will be interested in this sort:
- Atlanta. Low (up to 20 cm) perennial. It blooms yellow and white, the flower size is up to 5 cm. They begin to bloom in June and continue to bloom for up to 2 months.
Propagated by seeds. And they are so tenacious that falling into the ground on a bed, they can well winter, and in the spring you will notice that the poppy is trying to capture the entire yard.
The giant among domestic poppies grows up to 130 cm. Yes, and the rest of the plant fits: flowers 16 cm in diameter, leaves almost half a meter in length.
Unfortunately, these luxurious scarlet flowers with black dots in the cup bloom only in spring and bloom not for long.
Not only that the flowers of this poppy are simply “stuck” with petals, its leaves also do not look like poppy seeds - they are not dissected, smooth.
This type with all the decorative is considered unpretentious.
Most respectable varieties:
- Black cloud High (up to a meter) annual. Flowers solitary, up to 10 cm, bloom from July to August.
- Salmon cloud Annual of the same “height” and size of flowers. It blooms in July.
This poppy is also called Papaver. Although in reality this word is not a variety or a species, but the same poppy, but in Latin. Blossoms such a miracle up to a month.
And this is the one-year. Moreover, this type is the most interesting, because you can see everything in it: double and semi-double flowers, single and two-colored petals.
The most popular varieties of such poppy are recognized:
- Silk moire. This semi-double two-tone beauty with bright yellow middle centers grows quite noticeable - up to 80 cm.
- Morning song. The variety is similar to the previous one, but there are already pink and crimson and purple lush flowers. But in my opinion, the most interesting is the color on the photo: red petals, as if covered with frost.
- Order of the Crusaders. The red “standard” poppy, the middle of which is not black, but light, as if decorated with a miniature cross.
Reproduction of poppy seeds
Seeds sown in rassadochnye boxes.
When sprouts are decorated with 2 true leaves, they can dive into separate containers. Ideal to use for this peat pots - of which the plants do not even have to extract when planting in open ground, as with this "utensils" sprouts and dig in a flower bed.
If it is a perennial, it is worth sowing immediately after collecting the seeds. On a flower bed such poppies are planted even in the fall, and for the winter they are hidden under a ball of fallen leaves.
Subtleties of poppy care in the open field
- Occasionally a flower bed with flowering poppies needs to be watered. Just not too generous: if the poppy soil is not very afraid of poor (sandy, stony) soil, water stagnation is a serious problem for him.
- Soil should be occasionally fluff.
- Feed this culture can be humus. By the way, it is not necessary to dilute it and introduce it with the help of a watering can - one can mulch the bed once with humus. This will solve the problem with nutrition, and will create a barrier to weeds (I will not say that it’s impassable, but still tangible).
- Bushes need to be freed from dry leaves from time to time. Do not tear off, but cut them off, otherwise the plant may be injured.
- Perennial crops can grow in your flower bed up to 6 years. Further it is better to update them. It is not necessary to throw them out and sow new ones. You can simply transplant bushes from place to place. Do it in the late fall, in the "wet" season. And carefully with the roots - it is better to cross them, not shaking off the soil.
More about growing such a poppy will tell (along with showing everything by example) the grower in this video:
Poppy flower - natural beauty!
With more than one hundred species. Representatives of the family poppy tightly entered the life of man. I must say that for many gardeners this flower is associated with the cultivation of drugs or sleeping pills. Indeed, some varieties have such properties, in particular, poppy seeds or milk, having a white color. By the way, the flower has a Latin name meaning “milk”. Of course, the plant is diverse and can look completely different. Basically, The following types attract much attention:
- Decorative - used exclusively for decorating the dacha interior. It should be noted that this plant, which has a very bright color, is great for introducing an element of exclusivity into the backyard design.
- Garden - used exclusively for collecting seeds. They (and, to be more precise, their milk) possess those mystical properties about which so much has been written.
- Field - the plant is very unpretentious and can successfully multiply in vast territories.
Poppies can reach a height of up to one meter, they have a rather stiff stem and feathery leaves. There are some species that have dissected leaves. As a rule, the poppy begins to bloom in June, after which the peduncle and leaves with a stem die off. Many plant species can be divided into groups having some features of a bud:
- simple ones that are more common with wild plants
- terry, decorating ornamental and dwarf species.
The plant has only one flower. When the poppy begins to bloom, huge areas are covered with a scarlet "carpet", which makes an indelible impression.
Decorative poppy - features and nuances
Like every plant, ornamental poppies have some peculiarities, which should be respected, so that the dacha really amazed with its beauty. First of all, it is important to choose the right place for landing. Here there are such nuances:
- The soil may be the most common, but the landing site should be well lit.
- It is better if the soil is drained, which will ensure not only effective growth, but also the brightness of the flowers.
- Ideal for planting a flower would be a place that is periodically shaded.
Gardener or summer resident need to know that the flower is resistant to droughts and even small frosts. Starting in June, the poppy begins to bloom, which lasts no more than a month. There are some featuresIt is important to do a gardener, so that the flower looked great throughout the warm period:
- after the decorative poppy has finished to bloom, it is necessary to cut off the yellowed leaves in the ground part,
- even a small but systematic fertilization of the soil and its processing will allow the Maca to make the second flowering in early August, if the autumn is warm,
- Perennial poppies can be planted individually or in groups.
Possessing a very decent frost resistance, the plant can be covered with snow even with green leaves. Nothing wrong with that. With proper processing and planting, the summer resident can be sure that in April the leaves will begin to bloom again.
Types of poppy and their characteristics
Among the many varieties of poppies, consider the two main types of plants: oriental and bracts. Oriental poppy can be characterized by the following external features:
- leaves have pinnately structure:
- stem and leaves shaggy, lowered,
- All subspecies of the Oriental poppy are rather high, have a voluminous and bright bud. Belong to perennial plants.
Along with this, the qualitative characteristics of the bracts are somewhat different. Elements such as stem height and bud volume, which can reach 16 cm in diameter, remain similar. Distinctive features of such poppy are such factors:
- at the base of the petals there is a large black spot,
- volume buds, bright red. Sometimes the color of a flower can even be crimson,
- refers to perennial plants.
Not depending on the species, the poppy begins to bloom about the same - since the beginning of June, and the flowering period can last about a month. Under favorable conditions, the plant may bloom again in mid-August.
In principle, for a gardener it will be important that the difference in care between perennials and annuals does not actually exist. Both species are rather unpretentious, but in order for the flower buds to be distinguished by bright colors, and the stems are strong and tall, It is important to follow a few rules:
- Perennial plants can not cover in winter. Decorative poppy quietly tolerates small frosts and feels great under the snow cover.
- The only nuance of perennials can be considered as their intolerance to excessive moisture or stagnant water. If this happens, the root system of the plant quickly begins to rot, which leads to the rapid death of the poppy.
- Perennials grow well in one place for more than five years. If the soil is systematically processed and fertilized, this period may be even longer.
If we talk about annual plants, everything is much simpler here. These poppies do not require special attention of the summer resident, as they are accustomed to growing in the fields and independently fighting for survival. The most popular type of annual is the soils. In order to decorate a small area, it is enough to sow the seeds of a plant after the snow melts only once. This poppy brings abundant self-sowing, tightly covering the sown area with a color that can vary from crimson-red to white with red edges.
What are the most beautiful poppies?
This question often arises among summer residents who decide to use this plant. as one of the interior elements. When unleashing this problem, it is important to note the following factors:
- For beds where the decorative poppy is one of the elements, it is better to use a perennial with large buds of bright shades.
- Dwarf plants have become very popular. They are used in cases when “alpine slides” are created, which have become very fashionable among summer residents.
- In order to enjoy the bouquet in summer, it is better to use annuals that do not require careful supervision and perfectly adapt to virtually any soil.
It is important to say that the type of poppy should be selected on the basis of what the plot owner intended and what role the flowers should fulfill. If there are problems with the layout of the color composition, it is better to turn to professional designers, who not only have a lot of experience, but can also create great computer graphics of the future design.
Important is bouquet mastering. It is important not just to choose the right color scheme, but also to correctly cut flowers. Experts offer some tips to help increase the freshness of the bouquet:
- cut the buds must be in the morning. In this case, subject only those flowers whose buds have already burst,
- Immediately after the flowers are cut, it is important to hold these places over the fire for a few seconds. After such an operation, the flowers should be immediately placed in water,
- In the water, where there is a freshly cut bouquet, you must add a few crystals of potassium permanganate.
Thanks to such uncomplicated operations, the user can be sure that the bouquet will last much longer. Cultivation of poppy, whatever kind it is, - simple matter. It is only important to periodically give the plants some attention, and the flowers will surely thank the summer resident, presenting him with amazing beauty, which for many centuries has conquered human hearts!
How does a poppy bloom?
Poppy belongs to the poppy family. There are perennial or annual species that produce seeds in the current year. It has strong, tall (up to 1 m) stalks and beautiful pinnate leaves, bare or pubescent, decorative for a long time.
How does a poppy bloom and what is its beauty? The main beauty of the plant, of course, in flowers. They are large and very bright, various colors - from fiery red to milky white. At the base of the flower there is a dark, almost black spot.
The very process of blooming a poppy flower is unusual and interesting. At first, the bud cracks, the cup falls off and a flower crumpled up like a tissue paper appears to the admiring gaze. But instantly, in front of his eyes, the petals are straightened, turning into a gentle flying flower.
Look at the photo - the poppy flower in the center has a mass of stamens surrounding the future fruit-box, covered with a pistillate velvety disc-lid.
A flower on a long peduncle rises triumphantly over the dense green foliage and attracts with its brightness.
However, its flowering period is short - only 1-2 days. In its stead, new and new flowers appear, preserving the beauty and freshness of the blooming garden.
Poppy is a light-loving and unpretentious plant, it can tolerate both cold and drought, it grows on any soil, but prefers loose, nutritious, domesticated. В этом случае цветение мака обильно и роскошно. При уходе за маками помните, что это растение выносит застоя воды.
Виды многолетних маков
Из многолетних видов мака в культуре используются восточный, голостебельный, альпийский и прицветниковый:
Мак восточный — король многолетних маков. Известно много садовых форм и сортов этого вида. Растение высокое, до 60-80 см. The leaves are large, basal, pinnately dissected.
As seen in the photo, in this species of poppy, the flowers are bright red or pink, single, on elastic peduncles reach 10-12 cm in diameter.
Bright, as a rule, with a black base petals surround the black anthers. Leaves, stem, calyx densely pubescent. It blooms in May and June. Prefers bright, open places and fertile loamy soil.
Poppy is propagated by seed, dividing the bush. Seeds of ornamental poppy can be sown both in spring and autumn. They do not lose their germination for 2-3 years. Old bushes are divided at the end of summer.
This type of garden decorative poppy is used for group planting and cutting. Cut flowers should be at the beginning of blooming buds. Flowers stand in water for no longer than 2–3 days. This view in the background of flower beds as a bright background is very effective.
Poppy naked, or Siberian. This perennial is often grown as an alumni, because after 2-3 years it needs renewal. This species differs from others in the absence of leafy stems. Leaves only basal, dissected, pubescent, but may be bare.
Flowers on short stems - up to 20-30 cm, with a diameter of 2.5-5 cm. The color is white, yellow or orange. Blossoming is abundant due to numerous flower stalks, from May to frost, which is a great decorative value of this poppy. In culture, unpretentious, but prefers open sunny places and warm, permeable soils. Despite the fact that it is a perennial, it reproduces only by seeds that have good germination, both in spring and in autumn. Easily propagated by self seeding.
Used in flower beds and for cutting. The flowers are cut in the stage of a half tone.
Poppy bracts. This is the highest view of poppies. Its height is up to 130cm. The plant itself is powerful, with large dissected basal leaves, up to 45 cm long. The flowers are also large, up to 16 cm in diameter. They are crimson-red, with a black spot at the base of the petals. It blooms in spring. Flowering short.
Reproduction of ornamental poppy seeds
Both annual and perennial poppies are easily propagated by seed. For many, this is even the only way to reproduce.
Perennial poppies are propagated by dividing the bush after flowering and the daughter rosettes of leaves that appear at the end of summer on the mother bushes.
They are best seated in peat pots. They are allowed to take root and only next year they are planted in a permanent place.
Seed propagation in perennial poppies is somewhat different than in annuals.
Seeds should be sown immediately after they are collected in rassadochnye boxes. With the appearance of 1-2 true leaves, they are stripped out into peat pots, which are dug into the ground. At the permanent place they are planted in pots as needed. For winter, planting is covered with a dry leaf. This whole procedure can be done starting in early spring. But the seeds already have not such germination, as immediately after their collection.
Care for poppies is a rare watering, frequent loosening, fertilizing with humus, which is used as a mulch.
In hot, dry summers, the leaves of faded poppies quickly wither and dry, so their systematic removal is necessary. By the end of the summer, close-leaf leaves reappear, delighting us to frost with the freshness of green and its beauty.
Oriental Poppy Varieties
Of Oriental poppy varieties are more common:
Perry White. Old variety with white flowers. At the base of each petal is a black spot. Peduncle height 90 cm.
"Marcus Perry" - a classic variety with large orange-scarlet flowers and black markings at the base of each petal. Peduncle height 90 cm.
Salmon Glove - terry, salmon-orange.
"Goliat" - red.
Poppy in the garden creates spectacular vivid compositions. Oriental poppy with its open leaves and bright large flowers is good for single plantings. Cut poppies are able to give any bouquet attractiveness and brightness. Oriental poppy is a favorite poppy for cutting. Cut it in the phase of bursting colored bud. In addition, due to the small height of some varieties, they are decorated with stony hills.
Description and cultivation of decorative poppies
Decorative poppies can be:
- Annuals. These plants differ from ordinary poppies only in size and color of flowers. Propagated by their seeds.
- Two years old. In the first year of life, poppies do not bloom - during this period the root system is formed, the rosette of leaves grows. Propagated by seeds.
- Perennial. The largest and most spectacular poppies. In some varieties, the height reaches 1.3 m, the diameter of flowers is up to 16 cm. It is possible to propagate both by dividing the bush and by seeds.
The most popular varieties of perennial poppies - Pritkovy, Russian and Eastern.
- East will appreciate a variety of varieties. This is a medium-sized, up to 0.8 m plant. It blooms in May - June. Can be propagated by dividing the bush.
- Russian poppy lives only 3 years. Then the bushes need to be updated. The plant is not high, up to 30 cm. The flowers are small - up to 6 cm. It is an unpretentious plant, low in demand for soil and light. It blooms from May to autumn. Propagate the plant only seeds.
- Pritsvetkovy - the largest perennial poppy. The height of the peduncle is up to 120–130 cm, the flowers reach 14–16 cm. They keep on the stems longer than other varieties.
All poppies love the sun and do not tolerate shade. Prefer loamy fertile soil.
Planting and care for decorative poppies
The roots of the poppies are pivotal, deep-sitting, and it is very difficult to dig a plant without damaging it. That is why the division of the bush rarely brings good results. If the root is damaged, the plant will surely die.
It is much easier to grow poppy seeds.
- Choose a place in advance so as not to replant the seedlings. Poppies do not like to move from place to place.
- Prepare the primer. Loosen the earth, apply fertilizer: organic matter, wood ash, nitrogen mixture.
- Sow the seeds. Grooves should be shallow. Seeds are best mixed with sand in a ratio of 1: 5, so that the shoots are not too thick.
- Regularly water the flower bed. When seedlings appear, thin them, leaving 4–5 cm between plants. When the poppies grow, repeat the procedure. Between the bushes should be at least 20-30 cm.
You can grow poppies and seedling way. Sow the seeds in peat pots. When shoots seem, leave only 1 plant, the largest. Pry out the rest. When poppies grow up, plant them on a bed. But make sure that the root does not "pierce" the bottom of the pot - so it is easy to injure. And poppies with damaged roots can not settle down.
Eastern (Turkish) Poppy
Eastern (Turkish) Poppy
A shrub plant, perennial. Shrub in diameter of about 100 cm, the height of the stem reaches 90 cm. Leaves are root, pinnately dissected, flowers are colorful, double or semi-double. In the middle of the petals there are stamens or black spots. Root cuttings of the plant need to be planted on a permanent site, because they can not be transplanted.
Annual plant, bush branches, reaching a height of 60 cm. The flowers are semi-double or terry, up to 7 cm in diameter. The flower of this variety has a purple, white, pink or light orange shade. Sow this variety immediately to a permanent place. Blossoms 2 months.
Perennial early flowering plant, height up to 30 cm, diameter of flowers up to 5 cm, they are white, yellow, orange or pink. Does not tolerate transplants, resumes self-seeding. It grows well on drained, calcareous soil.
Planting and maintenance in the open field: basic principles
For sowing poppy flower, an open, well-lit, sun-enclosed area is closed from the wind, where the groundwater lies deep and does not stagnate. The reaction of the soil solution is neutral or slightly acid. The most optimal for planting will be light loamy or sandy soils.
Every 5-7 years, the plants are transplanted to a new site.
By this time, perennials grow strongly. When the poppy has completely bloomed, the bush is dug together with an earthy clod and divided into several parts. When planting, observe the interval of 70 cm. Place for planting is dug up by adding humus (5-10 kg per 1 m2), weeds are removed.
Watering is carried out regularly, about once every ten days. When dry weather comes, the plants need to be watered more intensively, but not very plentifully. After watering the soil can be loosened and remove the weeds that have appeared.
The poppy seeds collected by themselves are subjected to stratification — in regions with a mild winter, they are sown in the soil in the fall or at the end of winter so that they are frozen in cold soil. You can stratify the seeds, putting them for 2 months in the refrigerator in the compartment for vegetables. If you do not do this, the seeds will germinate poorly, and sprouted seedlings will slowly grow.
After completion of flowering bushes need to be cut at the root. In the middle of August, plants grow back. They are frost-resistant and do not need shelter in the winter. In the spring, the aboveground mass grows back.
Diseases and pests: methods of treatment
Poppy plants damage:
- pathogens of fungal infections - developing black box, powdery mildew, white and gray rot, etc.,
- pathogens of bacterial infections - there is a spotting of seed pods and leaves, bacterial wilt, bacteriosis of stems. When symptoms of disease appear on plants, they should be removed and burned, and the plants should be treated with the recommended special preparations (for example, Trichodermine, Bactophyte, Planriz, Phytosporin). You can also use bluestone, burgundy mixture or infusion of garlic.
- pests - caterpillars of alfalfa, green and black aphids, poppy leaves and others. Fight them with the help of Verticillin, Actellica, Bitoxibacillin-P, Decis-Profi, Bon-Forte, etc.
How and when does a poppy bloom?
As a rule, poppy flowers bloom from mid-May to mid-June, one bush can form flowers within 1-2 months. The flower lives a maximum of 2 days, but wilted flowers very quickly replace new ones. They bloom during the day and fly around at night.
If plants grew from seeds, then only a few buds are formed in 2-3 years. After this will begin abundant flowering. If the poppy is planted in a shaded place, the setting of flower buds will slow down greatly. Also, plants do not form buds in the absence of the necessary care. If you actively loosen and damage the root system, flowering will not start either.
When the shrub is transplanted to another area, the buds are not formed temporarily - it takes some time for the plant to take root and adapt.
How to grow from seed?
Seeds in areas with a mild winter are sown in the fall, for the passage of stratification or sown in early spring. In the spring after 15 days the seeds germinate. Before sowing, the soil is loosened with a rake, and the seeds are sown on the soil surface. The soil needs to be kept hydrated. When the sprouts grow a little, you can thin them out, the best thing is to do it with scissors.
How to multiply poppy?
Plants propagate by seed and division of the bush. The second method is preferable because it allows you to save the parent plant. Carry it out after the onset of a period of rest. The seedling method of reproduction is not used, since the plants sprout well and grow when they sow the seeds immediately in the soil. The seeds are harvested after the leaves have dried, the poppy box dries out and the holes open on it.
These bright plants bring joy and warmth, they look great on flower beds and lawns. Planting poppy flowers along with other flowers, you can admire the resulting spectacular compositions for a long time. Alpine hills can be decorated with low varieties, and cut poppy flowers will make any bouquet bright and attractive.