Of all the tribesmen in the photo, Ficus Benjamin is considered one of the most capricious. And it is not surprising that the question: “Why does the Ficus of Benjamin not grow or lose foliage?” Worries many flower growers.
The main causes of poor plant health, causing slower growth, yellowing and abscission of foliage, are errors in care and improper maintenance conditions.
Why ficus benjamina sheds leaves, and what to do in such a situation to save the plant? A native inhabitant of regions with a tropical and subtropical climate, the ficus Benjamin was accustomed to warmth and high humidity.
Benjamin Ficus leaves fall due to lack and excess light
In order for the plant to feel “at home”, it actively shoots, and leaves do not fall from Benjamin's ficus, he needs a long daylight hours, and the lighting should be bright but diffused.
Compared to other related species, the ficus benjamin foliage is thinner and shallow. This means that the scorching rays of the sun can be the possible causes of the disease state of the plant. Leading to evaporation of moisture, dehydration, leaves, and sometimes serious burns, an excess of sun adversely affects the strength and growth of ficus.
Losing the moisture reserve, the leaf plates turn yellow ahead of time, and then fall off.
Exposing the shoots not only worsens the appearance of the plants, but also weakens it. The smaller the leaves on the crown, the slower the photosynthesis, and the ficus receives less energy to grow.
Unfortunately, a similar picture can be observed if the ficus is deficient in the sun. Young shoots become thinner, stretched. Fresh leaves are shallow, and the one that is located on the lower tiers, dries. As a result, leaves fall from the ficus of Benjamin. The plant loses its decorativeness, its strength is depleted, and without proper care it can die.
That is why Benjamin's ficus does not grow if the place for it is chosen incorrectly. Fix the situation quite easily. The main thing is to do it immediately, at the first sign of a green pet's ill health.
Subject to the other rules of care, it is worthwhile to find a place protected from the midday sun, where the flower will be lit from 10 to 14 hours a day, as the ficus comes to life. From autumn to the end of March in the middle lane it is useful for the plant to arrange additional lighting. The same measure will help maintain the beauty of the tree, standing away from the window.
Having taken all measures to improve the situation, of course, it will not be possible to return the former appearance to the ficus. But the growth of full-fledged foliage will resume on new, young stems.
What to do if Benjamin's ficus sheds leaves, despite the correct lighting? No less often the plant suffers for other reasons. These include:
- moisture deficiency or, on the contrary, regular waterlogging of the soil,
- excessive dry air in the room
- non-compliance with the temperature regime of the content.
Even a sudden change of environment can affect the well-being of a plant. For example, moving from a store to a house becomes a shock for a ficus if the purchase is made during the cold season.
Why leaves fall from ficus: cold, heat and dry air
Why Benjamin's ficus does not grow when it is cold in the apartment? This phenomenon can be explained by the thermophilic guest from the tropics. But flower growers often complain that the formation of new shoots and foliage is markedly slowed down at a temperature comfortable for the culture of 17–23 ° C.
Obviously in this case the plant:
- turned out to be in too dry air, which often happens when the heating is running,
- got into the zone of action of cold air from the open transom, air conditioning or balcony.
Not tolerating staying in too dry air, the Ficus benjamina sheds leaves. What to do in this case? Move the pot to where the plant will be more comfortable, and if this is not possible, you can:
- use a household humidifier,
- daily irrigate the crown of ficus from a distance of 20-30 cm,
- hold warm souls and wipe the foliage with a damp cloth.
Leaf loss due to watering errors
It is equally dangerous for Benjamin Ficus to be in completely dry or oversaturated soil:
- With excessive watering, especially when kept in cool air, the plant develops root rot. The ficus loses the ability to actively feed, its leaves dry out and begin to crumble.
- Dry soil provokes the plant to save moisture, and the ficus gets rid of "extra consumers", that is, foliage. At the same time, the rate of growth of young shoots decreases, raising the legitimate question of gardeners: “Why does the Benjamin ficus not grow?”
In order for the plant to always enjoy bright greens and grow well, the soil under the ficus should dry a couple of centimeters between waterings. The frequency of irrigation depends on the temperature and humidity of the air in the room, the size of the plant and the properties of the substrate.
Benjamin Ficus drops foliage due to lack of power
Benjamin ficus leaves fall off if the plant:
- is found in a substrate that is poor in organic and mineral substances,
- they have not been transplanted for a long time, and the roots do not have the opportunity to get as much nutrition and moisture to meet all the needs of an expanded crown.
An immediate measure will be supplementary feeding of ornamental foliage with a liquid complex remedy. And at the first opportunity ficus:
- subject to pruning, forming a more compact crown and simultaneously removing bare and dead shoots,
- transplanted into a loose nutrient substrate, after picking up a suitable, larger pot.
The longer the ficus benjamina is in inappropriate conditions, the higher the risk of detection of insect pests on it.
Weakened plants are most often attacked by spider mites, thrips, flaps. When a pet is brought to the garden for the summer, aphids or the larvae of the miner flies can settle in it.
To prevent uninvited guests from stopping the growth of Ficus Benjamin and abscission of foliage, it is useful to regularly inspect the plant and, if necessary, treat it with systemic insecticides and acaricides.
Immediately after purchase
The ficus does not make a sharp change in growing conditions and reacts to any stressful factors by defoliation, that is, it “drops ballast” in the form of leaves. In nature, this makes sense, but at home it looks depressing. To help the plant adapt faster, transplant it into the store bought ficus soil. Be sure to pour a good layer of expanded clay from the clay on the bottom, check that the holes for water flow are quite large (at least 1 cm in diameter).
Ficuses like well-drained soil, which allows air to pass through, sufficiently retains moisture, but at the same time dries out, so take care of drainage beforehand. It is better to put the pot in a place away from drafts and direct sunlight, but so that the lighting is sufficient. For example, southwest, southeast windows.
This is especially important for variegated forms that lose their color without light, and fade in bright light.
Attention! If the tree was bought in cold, rainy weather and spent some time in the cold, the recovery period may be delayed. When the green pet is acclimatized, the crown will begin to grow again.
Be sure to read the remaining items to know what to do when the leaves of the ficus Benjamin turn yellow and fall off and how to avoid it. The comments described below relate to those specimens that have long lived in the house and suddenly began to lose their leaf cover.
Ficus tend to lose leaves when changing not only the situation, but also the growing conditions. When the season changes (winter - spring, autumn - winter), when the temperature changes, the air becomes drier due to heating or, on the contrary, humidity increases, natural defoliation can occur. The tree loses a maximum of about ten leaves per week, but it can be seen that fresh, bright green, healthy leaves are growing.
This is a typical case when the Benjamin Ficus begins to shed its leaves. Try to keep the temperature and humidity as stable as possible during these periods. Do not turn on air conditioners or fans near the plant, cover the heating pipes with a damp cloth. Accustom to new conditions gradually.
Another case where defoliation is natural is the exposure of the lower branches and middle tier of an already adult plant. In nature, the ficus, like domestic apples and pears, tends to grow upwards. As a result, the tree steadily increases the crown on the upper shoots and at the ends of the branches, but the lower tiers become bare and the branches gradually die off. If you do not want to grow an untidy tree with an ugly crown, try to help the plant.
Every year as necessary, lightly pruning in early spring: remove the twigs that spoil the shape of the crown, cut each third branch at the top into two leaves, each third branch is on the middle tier with 4-5 leaves, do not touch the lower ones if they do not spoil the shape. As a result, the tree will begin to grow additional branches, and the crown will become more elegant. Defoliation will stop, as the apical shoots will be cut, the lower branches will again receive enough nutrition.
Use a wooden stick to poke a layer of soil as deep as possible and determine how wet it is (should become dirty). The overdried land is dusty, poorly absorbs moisture, breaks up into small fractions that do not absorb water. To help the tree, first of all you need to saturate the substrate with moisture. Raise the pot, if the roots are visible from the drainage holes, the plant should be transplanted into a larger pot and fill with fresh earth.
To restore the substrate to a normal moisture level, take a deep container, put a pot inside and pour enough water to cover the soil. Leave until air bubbles above the ground cease to appear. On average, the procedure takes about half an hour.
Then remove the pot from the water and let the excess moisture drain. If you are worried that the roots may rot, take a paper towel, roll it up with a rope and place it in the ground more deeply; hang the edge of the towel out of the pot. As a result, by dripping, unnecessary moisture will flow into the pan.
Another way is suitable for those plants that have already covered the earth with roots. Simply remove the ficus with the ground (if not removed, push down on the walls of the pot, as if “remember” it), then put it on a layer from a newspaper or other paper, and wrap the exposed roots with a paper towel. After a few hours, bring the tree back. Such a “bath procedure” will help to restore the structure of the earth, saturate it with moisture.
Ficus belongs to the category of indoor plants, which are more easily tolerated transplant than seemingly harmless change of habitat. Even turning the pot around its axis and changing the angle of illumination in this way can cause a “disturbed” dropping of the leaves.
Therefore, a novice florist needs to remember one very important rule: when purchasing a ficus in a store and bringing it into the house, it is necessary to immediately transplant the plant into a new pot, then put it in a pre-allocated place, naturally chosen to meet the requirements imposed by the ficus mode and lighting. Thus, the number of unpleasant for the flower "crossings" will be minimized.
If you don’t transplant Benjamin right away, he can start dropping foliage due to a lack of nutrients in the soil. This is another possible cause of the problem.
It is necessary to carefully release the ficus from the ground, trying, if possible, not to disturb and not expose the root system, the more important it is not to damage it. So the flower is easier to take the shock and quickly settle down in a new place.
Do not be upset if just bought Benjamin dropped a few leaves, for the period of adaptation is normal. Experts recommend buying these flowers in the warm season, in this case, the loss of leaves as a result of the move will be less.
Lack or excess of lighting
The Benjamin Ficus is an evergreen tree whose homeland is the tropics, or to be more precise, the upper tier of tropical forests. It is not surprising that such a plant is very sensitive to lighting conditions. For a pot, it is necessary to choose a bright place, but the flower should be protected from direct sunlight. A photophilous ficus will most likely respond by dropping foliage to a deficit of light, however, the scorching sun can cause the same reaction.
Despite the fact that tropical plants, in contrast to the inhabitants of the temperate zone, are focused on a short light day, in the winter, it is still useful for the Ficus to arrange additional lighting.
The best option for Benjamin is a long, 60 cm long, 18–20 W lamp located above the plant at a height of about 30 cm. On cloudy days, it is recommended to keep such a lamp on 24 hours a day, then the plant will not suffer from a lack of lighting.
Violation of temperature
Benjamins can feel comfortably in a fairly wide temperature range. During intensive growth, most of these plants prefer warm air in the range of +25 to +28 ° C, and during the rest period they easily tolerate a decrease in temperature to +15 ° C. However, the plant is more likely to react to the deviation of the thermometer above or below the specified threshold indicators with fallen leaves.
In particular, the cause of leaf fall can be:
- finding a pot with a flower in the immediate vicinity of the heat source, when hot air comes from one side or the other point,
- the flow of cold air entering the plant, for example, as a result of opening a window or air vents for airing,
- night and daytime temperature differences.
Choosing a place for a houseplant, you need to think over everything in advance so as to eliminate any of the above stresses.
For example, if you put a ficus on the windowsill next to a hot battery and slightly open the window sash to lower the temperature in the room a little, no tricks will save the flower from intensively dropping the leaves.
Like most indoor plants, the ficus does not like stagnant water in a pot.
When transplanting, it is imperative to ensure that there is sufficient drainage layer and watering only as the top layer of the soil dries.
But the lack of moisture can cause the fall of the foliage, because in this case it is impossible the assimilation of nutrients from the soil, in addition, the movement of cell sap is limited and the process of photosynthesis is slowed down.
For Benjamin, it is also important that the amount of moisture he receives is correctly changed according to the changes of the season. In autumn and winter, watering should be reduced; in spring and summer the flower needs more water. To prevent the land in the pot from drying out, it is recommended to periodically carry out the so-called “dry watering” - with a toothpick or fork, carefully loosen the surface of the soil, taking care not to damage the root system.
One of the possible causes of Benjamin leaves falling off is the use of cold water for irrigation. All tropical plants need to be watered with lukewarm water and always well-settled.
Lack of fertilizer
Top dressing of a houseplant is an important element in caring for it, because the amount of soil and, accordingly, the nutrients it has available to the root system is very limited.
Not receiving the necessary components for normal development, the ficus begins to ache and drop foliage.
Fertilizers should be applied during the period of intensive growth (spring and summer), using universal organic and mineral mixtures. It is best to purchase special fertilizers for ficuses. or, if not found, - combined additives for non-flowering houseplants. The usual frequency of feeding is twice a month, but depending on how long the plant has been transplanted (degree of soil depletion), this frequency can be adjusted. Immediately after transplanting fertilizer should not be applied, it can lead to burn of the roots.
In the wild, tropical plants have virtually no resting phase, their growing season lasts all year round. Once in the temperate zone as room flowers, ficuses began to adapt to new conditions, which is why it is better not to disturb them in the winter.
But if the temperature mode is chosen correctly and the tree is provided with round-the-clock illumination, it does not need rest, which means it can be fed in winter, using half the usual dose of fertilizer and half the frequency of their application.
Также в этот период следует немного сократить содержание азота в подкормке, ведь данный элемент нужен для интенсивного роста и набора зеленой массы, чего зимой все равно не происходит.
Diseases and pests
Неудачно выбранные условия для содержания цветка, в частности, нарушение режима освещения, влажности и температурный дисбаланс, могут вызвать развитие различных заболеваний и, как результат, — все то же опадение листвы. Most often, Benjamin suffers from attacks of spider mites, scutes, aphids and mealybugs.
About the attack of these pests is evidenced by the appearance on the leaves (especially from the reverse side) of powdery, resembling to mealy lumps, resinous spots, traces of cobwebs. The affected leaf turns yellow with time, dies off and falls off.
Having discovered a problem, it is necessary first of all to arrange a warm shower with a flower, thoroughly washing each leaf with soapy water (you must first wrap the polyethylene in the pot so that soap and excess water do not get into it). Spider mite on the ficus If after some time the pest appears again, you should proceed to radical actions in the form of treating the plant with a solution of a suitable insecticide.
Along with pests, Benjamin is susceptible to some fungal infections, in particular, black and marsupial fungus is dangerous for him. (powdery mildew causative agent). This kind of disease must be fought with fungicides.
In addition to the use of toxic chemicals, it is imperative to analyze the causes of the problem, since, again, under the right conditions of detention, Benjamin usually does not get sick.
One of the most unpleasant diseases faced by the owners of ficus is root rot.. Its peddler is a specific fungus that begins to multiply rapidly in the overmoistened soil. Ficus root rot Unfortunately, this problem requires “prompt” intervention - an emergency transplant with a complete replacement of the ground and removal of rotten roots. Sometimes even such measures are insufficient, and the plant has to be thrown away with the pot.
It is worth noting that changing leaves for ficus is a natural process. The tree itself at home can grow about fifteen years, but the average age of each leaflet is three years.
Having outlived its age, the leaves turn yellow and fall off, so when the plant drops a couple of leaves, there is no reason for panic. But natural aging never leads to massive leaf fall.
Ficus best place near the eastern or western windows. They provide diffused light and protect the plant from the direct rays of the sun.
On how well the pot was located, the preservation of foliage directly depends, because naughty Benjamin gives the owner only one attempt to position himself correctly - for each subsequent you will pay with lost leaves.
In addition to temperature and lighting, it is also important to ensure that the plant has enough moisture, do not forget, our flower is from the tropics, for which dry air is not at all typical.
In winter, when under the influence of centralized heating the air in the room is overdried, the lack of moisture can be particularly detrimental to the state of ficus. Therefore, during this period, Benjamin needs to provide abundant leaf spraying every day. As in the case of irrigation, the water should be slightly above room temperature.
If possible, the pot should be located away from the heating radiator (minimum distance is two meters), but if this is not possible, such as in a city apartment, where the battery is directly under the window, in addition to spraying the leaves, you should also place dishes filled with liquid, or put a terry towel dipped in water and constantly make sure that the water does not evaporate completely.
Benjamin is a very beautiful indoor plant, which also has a lot of useful properties. Care for this type of ficus at home is not a big deal, but compliance with basic requirements is mandatory. If an evergreen tree starts dropping foliage, it means that you have made a mistake in something. Fortunately, in most cases, these errors are quite obvious and, as a rule, easy to fix.
Useful tips: how to properly care for the plant
Pet ficus benjamina florists presented almost every collector of indoor plants. He is loved for ease of care, excellent decorative properties and the ability to give both trunk and crown shape. But improper care leads to the fact that the plant completely drops the foliage and he faces a move to the nearest dustbin. But you don’t need to hurry with this, as there are plenty of ways to help the flower bring back the shining look.
General information about ficus
There are quite a few species of ficus, but the structural features of Benjamin's ficus are as follows:
- he has a straight shoot, and the stem is round
- crown branched
- leaf blades are smooth, slight bending is allowed. The skin is thin, the leaf is oblong and oval, ending in a pointed tip. The dimensions of the plate are from about 5 to 14 cm, its width is from 3 to 7 cm.
- the location of the plates on the branches of the next
- petiole from 0.5 to 2 cm.
- root system is well developed
- gray bark
If initially the plant creates good conditions, then there will be no problems with the plant:
- The ambient temperature must be in accordance with the climatic season. In winter, the ficus is kept at a temperature of 15 to 22 C, in the summer of 24-29 C.
- watering should be done as the top earth crust dries. Water from the pallet must be removed. The water should not be lower than 14 ° C, otherwise the ground will become overcooling and all processes will slow down.
- especially variegated varieties need a good light source
- spraying is done only in the absence of drafts and soft, settled water. You can add special plant sugar or sometimes fungicides.
Ficus shed leaves? Looking for the cause
Despite the fact that the ficus is not as capricious as many pets who need similar conditions, but with improper care, the ficus sheds leaves and it is rather difficult to restore rich hair.
There are some factors that directly affect the fact that the plant drops foliage:
- The first reason is drafts. Ficus Benjamin categorically does not tolerate even the slightest sharp fluctuations in temperature. Although airing the room where the flowers are located is welcome. There is a big difference between when the room is deliberately ventilated or when the flower is in places where sudden changes in temperature occur. That is, a large area of the plant and its roots are in the same temperature regime, and some part is cooled. Of course, in such places the consumption of nutrients is slowed down, while in the rest of the plant the nutrition is spent at the same level. The flower's immune system receives a signal that a disease is developing in some area and potentially diseased branches begin to die off. The ficus forms new branches, and the site standing on the through wind begins to die off. So if the ficus leaves leaves only on a few branches, then the cause is drafts.
- Lack of nutrition also has a detrimental effect on foliage and general plant condition. Ficus must be fed from early spring until late autumn. The Benjamin Ficus plant is large and, under favorable conditions, is well-developed, therefore the absence of the necessary trace elements and substances that are necessary for the further growth of the tree is depleted. Leaves first become faded and sluggish, and then weakening fall away.
- Mandatory spraying. Excessive dryness of the air affects the Ficus, not only because abundant leaf fall begins, but also because a shield is attached without special obstacles, and it is extremely difficult to get rid of it. The ficus hails from tropical humid places, and the system of water consumption is arranged in such a way that the plant also feeds on water through the leaves, to a greater extent than all the others. Therefore, if you deprive it of a humid environment, then the ficus will begin to lose leaves much more than what is set by nature.
There are also other reasons why this problem occurs:
- insufficient lighting, but it is easy to fix if periodically illumination fitolampa
- must be checked for diseases and pests
- this can happen if the ficus has changed its place of residence or when it is transplanted to another pot
But do not confuse abundant leaf fall with natural leaf fall, since each leaf lives for about three years, and then dies out. The old sheet plates are tougher and darker than the young ones, so if the florist periodically finds them on the floor, then it is not scary.
How to help the ficus, if all the same the leaves have fallen?
Help the plant must be reasonable. Because if you take active measures in the period of biological hibernation, you can seriously harm the ficus. Therefore, if such a nuisance began to occur in the autumn-winter period, when the feeding season was already over, then the following measures could be taken:
- add some fresh ground but not fertilizer
- spray the plant several times a day
- put an additional light source
- eliminate all accesses through wind
Such precautions will help to slow down the process of inhibition of the vital functions of the ficus, and prepare it for intensive therapy in the spring-summer period.
Already at the end of March, the ficus must be transplanted into a new land, according to the following scheme:
- Prepare a soil mix, but not a universal peat soil from the store, but a complete diet for a pet. If there is no garden plot and the land has not been prepared since autumn, then the land can be bought in nurseries.
- Prepare a solution of biofungicide in a bucket.
- Remove the plant from the pot, shake off as much of the soil as possible without damaging the roots.
- Soak the root system for several hours in the solution, and then putting it on the perforated surface, let the excess liquid drain.
- Plant transplanted to new land.
- Make sanitary pruning of unwanted branches and place the cut to cover with bars.
- The barrel and crown should be plentifully moistened with a biofungidica solution.
- After a few days the ficus must be fed.
- From the moment of transplantation every day, it is necessary either to highlight the plant, or it should stand on the sunny side.
Such resuscitation is able to work wonders, since in about a month the ficus will be covered with new young foliage.
Where to put the ficus?
It is necessary to find in advance a place suitable for a flower in the room. Movements badly affect the state of health of the ficus. Therefore, it is undesirable to rearrange it. Moving from the store to a permanent place of residence is a big stress for the plant. Often in such a situation Benjamin Ficus sheds leaves. It is better to purchase it in the warm season, so as not to chill along the way.
Illumination for the ficus should be quite bright, but diffused and uniform. In winter, if the plant is located far from the window, the bush may take on an irregular shape. The temperature in the room should be not lower than 15 o C. It is necessary to ventilate the room, but not to allow drafts.
Care and watering
Watering it in summer should be plentiful, less in winter. Land on top can dry up to 1/5 of the pot volume. To soak the whole earthen room, you need to water in several stages. Soil moisture should be moderate. If the ficus has fallen leaves, it can speak about the decay of the roots. Humidity should not be below 50%. Ficus is desirable to spray in the summer. Sometimes you can arrange a warm shower plant. Land in a pot needs to be closed with a film. In order for the ficus not to freeze after bathing, it must dry off, then you can transfer it to a permanent place.
Young ficus needs to be transplanted every year, after four years - less often, as the roots grow. The best time is spring or early summer. Transplanting is easier after heavy watering. The roots must be removed from the pot along with the earthy clod, removing only the top layer. The diameter of the new pot should be 3 cm larger than the old one. It is necessary to put a drainage and some soil into it, then install the ficus roots. Sprinkle with fresh ground around the edges and on top, slightly compacted. It is difficult to replant large ficus, it can be limited to replacing the top layer with fresh soil.
Reproduction by cuttings
In the spring and summer, when the ficus is actively growing, it is possible to obtain cuttings from it. To do this, cut off the tops of the shoots with two leaves and put in a container with water. You can prikopat cuttings wet sand. Water needs to be changed sometimes. When the roots appear, plant the plant in a pot, covered with a can or film. After the appearance of a new leaflet shelter can be removed.
The ficus itself is quite beautiful, but pruning is necessary. It stimulates the development of axillary buds, from which the twigs grow. The plant becomes more magnificent. Ficus Benjamin tolerates pruning and takes any given shape. To disinfect the pruner, it must be treated with alcohol or potassium permanganate. The central shoot cannot be cut more than 20 cm. There must be at least five leaves on it. Side branches can be shortened or removed completely if the crown is too thick. Lack of light can cause leaves to fall. Shredded charcoal is used to powder the cuts. To get a shtamb, you need to remove all side branches, except for the top five. If the ficus is on the floor, the crown is formed at a height of about one meter. For tabletop trunk leave shoots at a height of 40 cm.
The young ficus needs support, its trunk is very flexible. To form a beautiful composition, sometimes several plants are planted in one pot. Flexible trunks are gradually twisted or twisted, giving them fancy shapes. The trellis and support clamps should be loosened as the stems grow.
Why ficus benjamina sheds leaves?
The cause may be lack of nutrition. Ficus has a rather capricious character, it is better to buy special fertilizer for it. Fertilize the plant should be twice a month, in spring and summer, alternating mineral and organic substances. It is not necessary to fertilize in winter, at this time the plant almost does not grow. Moreover, even a ficus can react to leaf fall. If you turn it or move it from its usual place, the leaves may turn yellow and fall off. Especially often this happens in winter.
Seeing that Benjamin's ficus sheds leaves, its owner, of course, will be upset. After all, this plant is valued for its lush crown. The leaves of different varieties of ficus are dark green, variegated or white, yellowish. Particularly elegant leaves with a clear pattern, for example, are dark with a wide white stripe along the edges. The shape of the leaves resembles a drop or a boat. Their surface is smooth, and the edge can be smooth or wavy. The leaves are up to 7 cm wide and up to 12 cm long.
Why do leaves fall? Benjamin Ficus is an evergreen plant. But each sheet lives no more than three years. Therefore, they periodically die off. Worry is, if the Benjamin Ficus drops leaves in large quantities. It is rather difficult to observe all conditions of detention, therefore any ficus sometimes turns out to be bare. There are many possible reasons.
Leaf Fall Prevention
So, in order to avoid such trouble with the Benjamin ficus, the following conditions must be met:
- the plant must have a permanent place
- the optimum temperature should be maintained, adequate air humidity should be maintained,
- good drainage and moderate watering should be carried out.
Despite the capricious nature, Benjamin's ficus does not lose its popularity, because it is able to decorate with itself an exquisite winter garden or greenhouse, as well as the interior of any room.
Irregular watering leads to another problem, which is not as obvious as the first two, but the result is the same - the leaves fall for no apparent reason. When a tree is watered in the usual way, wetting only the top layer of the earth, but not to such an extent that water appears from the drainage holes, all salts that have been dissolved in the water settle in the soil.
There is an accumulation of salts in the substrate, its alkalization. When outside the roots of salts more than inside the cells, the normal process of absorption of moisture stops, and the earth pulls water from the roots. This is observed during a “fertilizer burn” and that is why it is recommended to soil the soil before adding fertilizers.
In order to avoid alkalization and to wash excess salts, it is necessary to water in two steps. The first time you water as usual, just to soak the ground, after half an hour add so much water so that it starts to pour out of the holes in the pot. Benjamin Ficus needs to be watered about 1-2 times a week, and in winter even less.
Attention! The main sign of the need for irrigation is dry topsoil and drainage holes. Never water the flower “on schedule”, try to do it only “on demand” when the tree needs it. If you take this watering as a rule, the question of why the leaves of the ficus Benjamin strongly fall off will stop worrying you for many more years.
Benjamin loves high humidity, spraying, when the pot is put on a tray with small pebbles in which there is water. If the air becomes too dry, the tree sheds leaves, and pests appear on it.
Shchitovki, spider mites and other small animals suck out the juice from the leaves. Листовые пластинки становятся мраморными, с точками желтого и белого цвета, которые постепенно разрастаются, и листья отмирают. Определить наличие вредителей довольно просто. Клещики оставляют после себя тонкую паутинку, щитовки выглядят как белые «чешуйки», прилипшие к листьям, после них остается липкий налет.
The easiest way to get rid of pests is by using a soap solution (wash or spray leaf blades with a perfume-free soap) or insecticides if the damage is strong.
If the leaf is stained with yellow, red, brown in color before it dies off, the spots become wet and grow, it is possible that a fungus has started on the plant. It is quite difficult to fight with him, this is the worst case of all, so in this article we will not talk about him.
So, if there are problems with foliage, check:
- are there drafts
- are there any temperature drops
- did you water properly
- didn't the tree burn fertilizer or maybe alkalization,
- Are there any pests?
Then proceed according to the recommendations. And may your green pets be healthy.
Exists several varieties of ficus benjamin, different leaves, sizes and conditions of detention, and similar to some common properties. All varieties of ficus Benjamin have a straight, round in the section of the stem. The color of their bark is predominantly gray. The root system is well developed. Leaves - smooth or slightly curved.
The thin sheet plate has an oblong shape with a point at the end. In length it can reach 5−14 cm, width - 3−7 cm. The branches and the leaves located on them in the next order form a magnificent, branched crown.
It is from this that one can judge the health of the plant. If the dense crown has begun to thin sharply, then you should think about the causes of foliage abating as soon as possible.
Causes of crown fall
As a rule, the main cause of this problem is improper care of the flower. In order to know what to do if Benjamin’s ficus leaves fall, it is necessary to correctly identify the source of the problem:
- Lack of light. Ficus - light-loving flower. It needs ambient lighting at least 10 hours a day. If the light period is shorter than the specified time, the leaves begin to fade and further fall off. In the summer season, good lighting can be achieved by placing a plant near a window. In winter, fluorescent lamps can help compensate for the lack of light. It is recommended to have them on two opposite sides of the ficus at a distance of 50 cm.
- Excessive lighting. This problem is typical for the summer period. The location of the flower on the windowsill on hot days can lead to sunburn, which is fraught with leaf fall. To avoid this, it is important to choose a place where direct sunlight will not fall on the flower for most of the day.
- Drafts. The plant is very sensitive to sudden temperature fluctuations. Of course, you need to ventilate the room, it will only have a beneficial effect on the flower. The other thing is when a constant air flow is directed at the ficus. For example, it is located next to the fan or open pane. In this case, part of the plant is cooled. In this part of the flower, the need for nutrients is reduced. Ficus perceives it as a disease. As a result, the branches standing in the draft die off.
- Dry air In winter, heating devices affect the decrease in humidity - which is why Benjamin's ficus flies around. Since the flower is a tropical plant, it does not tolerate dryness. The leaves in such a room begin to darken first, and then fall off. Frequent spraying will help to avoid this.
- Temperature mode. The ideal air temperature in the room is 18–20 ° C. At higher temperatures, ficus should be sprayed more often. In winter, a decrease to 16 ° C is allowed. Ficus does not tolerate lower temperatures. Even the contact of the branches with the cold surface of the window can provoke leaf fall.
- Wrong watering. Excess moisture is also, like the lack, detrimental to the plant. Its need for moisture can be estimated from the ground surface: if the earth has dried 2 cm deep, then the flower needs to be watered.
- Lack of power. Soil depletion affects the slowdown of ficus growth, blanching of leaves and their abscission. To avoid this during the period of active growth in spring and summer, the soil must be fertilized.
What causes leaf ficus
Why is leaf dropping? First of all, there are natural reasons for this.. In nature, in the fall and winter at Ficus Benjamin begins a period of leaf fall. Its leaf cover is gradually exchanged. Old leaves every day in a small amount fall off, and in their place new young leaves quickly appear.
Benjamin Ficus sheds leaves if:
- There was a sharp change in the conditions of its existence. It can be moving, moving to another window, changing temperature or humidity parameters. To prevent this from happening, provide a regular place for the flower and water and spray regularly.
- The plant is cold or, on the contrary, it is hot. Make sure that its root system does not overcool - from this, too, leaves can fall. If the ficus is on a cold floor or a window sill, put a piece of foam or other heat insulating material under the bottom of the pot. The ideal temperature for this plant is 18-20 ° C.
- It is not fed or, conversely, exceeds the dose of fertilizer. An excess of minerals is as harmful as their deficiency. Observe the dosage indicated on the package of the product, if you do not want to observe leaf fall from your favorite ficus.
- The size of the pot is chosen correctly. In too tight a container, the plant is quickly depleted. In a large pot, moisture often stagnates at the roots, which causes them to rot.
It is very important to pinpoint the reason why the leaves fall. Only then can you help the plant regain its lush foliage and attractive appearance.
Identify the cause
Ficus benjamina sheds leaves, what to do? If you never guessed what mistakes in the care led to leaf fall, it's time to take action. We will give you some tips that will be useful to flower growers with experience and beginners.
First determine the condition of the soil. If it is dry and has a cracked crust on the top layer, the ficus is definitely thirsty, so it sheds leaves, saving moisture. If the ground is too damp and an unpleasant odor emanates from it, you have flooded the plant. The most correct decision would be to transplant the ficus into a fresh substrate. If you still have no time to do it, just stop watering the plant so that the soil in the pot will dry out.
If the plant has not been fertilized for a long time, feed fertilizer with mineral fertilizers. In order not to burn the roots, the flowers are fertilized some time after watering, in the wet ground. If the ficus shed its leaves after rearrangement, it means that it is necessary to use drugs for stress. Means such as Appin and Zircon will increase resistance and restore plant immunity. These drugs need to wipe the leaves, they are not used at the root.
You have implemented the above measures, why is there no result? Most likely, the problem is in the roots. Remove the plant from the pot and inspect the roots, perhaps they are damaged by pests, or thoroughly rotted. In this case, it is better to cut the affected areas, powdering the cuts with crushed coal, and plant the ficus in a suitable size pot.
The plant may respond to diseases, pests and improper care, not only by dropping leaves, but also by other symptoms:
- When the ficus lacks nutrients, its leaves are made smaller. Each species of ficus has its own leaf size and without good reason it cannot change.
- With frequent overflows, the plant does not always sharply drops the leaves. The first signal will be the appearance on the leaf plates of small yellow spots. If excess watering continues, the leaves turn yellow completely and only then fall off.
- Black dots on foliage result from an oversupply of mineral fertilizers. If the overdose continues, the leaves may turn black and begin to fall off. With a lack of power in the first place the lower branches are laid bare, while the crown continues to be green.
- The attack of pests is accompanied by the appearance of gray, brown spots or on the leaves noticeable gray plaque. Most often, the perpetrator of this are the aphid, shield and spider mite. You can see the pests themselves by lifting the sheet and examining it from the back side. To get rid of parasites used store insecticides.
- The greatest damage to the ficus can cause rot caused by a fungus. Weeping areas or molds appear not only on the foliage, but also on the trunk or branches. If the fungicide is not treated promptly, the plant will die.
First Aid to a Sick Plant
When the ficus sheds leaves, first of all, it needs proper care. But only this measure from pests and diseases can not get rid of. At the first signs of illness, do the following:
- All diseased leaves and areas of branches damaged by parasites are pruned.
- Ficus pot is taken to the bathroom and the plant is washed under a strong stream of warm water. Additionally, you can use an old toothbrush, soaping it with soap.
- Powder from coal is used to treat all cutting sites - this will block the access of the infection to healthy tissues and allow wounds to heal faster.
- In the coming days, more often inspect the ficus to identify new pests. They can enter the plant both from the soil and through the air.
Folk remedies for getting rid of pests
Ficus sheds leaves, what if there is no desire to use chemistry? In this case, you can try tried and tested recipes that will help get rid of both pests and rot.
Effective way is the treatment of garlic infusion. For its preparation prepare 1 liter of boiling water and a few cloves of garlic, rubbed into a fine grater. Garlic gruel pour hot water and insist 1-2 hours under the lid. Ready infusion filter and use daily for spraying until full recovery of ficus.
The second method involves the use of an aqueous solution of soap with the addition of alcohol. At 1 liter of water at room temperature, add 1 tablespoon of soap chips and medical alcohol. The mixture is then shaken until the chips dissolve. All aboveground parts of the plant are sprayed with the prepared solution, and after 12 hours they rinse the tree with clean water, this is necessary so that the soap film does not clog the stomata of the leaves and the plant can breathe normally. In the future, these actions are repeated 1 every 3-4 days.. Land in a pot before the procedure is closed with cellophane film.
As a rule, two weeks is enough to cure ficus. Weak garlic solution It is also recommended to shed the land in a pot, in case pests lurk there.