The appearance of powdery mildew on cucumbers can be immediately noticed. These are small rounded white or reddish spots on the underside of the leaves, which are located near the ground. At the same time, the bases of the shoots are covered in the same bloom.
The area of the spots is increasing rapidly. And soon the fluffy grayish or white bloom covers the entire leaf, gradually hitting the whole plant. The whole whip seems to be dusted with flour.
If you look closely, you can find spores of the fungus - these are small balls of brown color. As they mature on white plaque, moisture appears, which looks like dew.
Cucumbers growing in the greenhouse are more susceptible to powdery mildew than those growing on the street. This is because a humid microclimate is created indoors that promotes the spread of fungal infection.
Powdery Mildew Development Cycle
The fungus lives in plant debris left in the garden from autumn. In the spring, it awakens and first weaves the leaves of weeds.
The causative agent of powdery mildew of cucumbers is a parasitic fungus that settles in the plant epidermis. It attaches to the surface of the leaves and feeds on their juices.
Powdery mildew spores can develop if:
- Summer is rainy and cold with sudden changes in temperature.
- Planting cucumbers are so thickened that there is no air circulation between them. In this case, the mycelium can easily move to other plants due to their proximity.
- The earth is alkaline or there is excess nitrogen in it.
- Watering is done too often when the soil has not dried. The situation is aggravated if cold water is used.
- Weeds are not removed on the garden bed. Powdery mildew spores are shifting from grass to all new lashes of cucumbers.
The fungus develops almost instantly:
- The time from the moment the fungus hits the leaves of the cucumber to the disease of the plant is from 3 to 7 days.
- The period depends on the humidity of the air: the higher it is, the faster the spores germinate.
- First, the lower leaves suffer, especially those that relate to the soil. Then the disease spreads to leaf stalks, stems, fruits.
- Over time, the spots increase, merging with each other. The raid is compacted, made brown.
- The leaves become loose, curl and dry. Photosynthesis is violated, because of what the cucumber can not fully eat.
- The fungus spreads to fruits that rot and crack.
- The tips of the shoots are bent. Scourge dry, darken and die.
Favorable conditions for the life of fungi - light heat (+16 - + 20 ° C) and dampness. In such an atmosphere, they quickly multiply, succeeding in a season to give life to several generations.
How to deal with powdery mildew on cucumbers
The main thing is to constantly monitor the condition of the leaves of cucumbers. If you take measures to combat powdery mildew on cucumbers when the first spots appear, the crop can still be saved.
The fight is to destroy the mycelium (the body of the fungus) and its dispute. Therefore, the first infected lash must be removed and burned along with the roots.
Planting should be weeded immediately, and, if necessary, thin out.
If a white bloom appears on several shoots only on the lower leaves, they should be carefully cut to the very stem and burned. It is better to remove the foliage that looks weak. After this, the slice is processed with “Trichodermin” paste.
Then all cucumbers are sprayed with fungicides (chemical method) or fermentation products (bacterial method).
The industry produces effective drugs to combat fungal infection. But, using them, you need to reckon with the fact that cucumbers cannot be eaten for a long time after treatment. Therefore, it is better to use such substances before the flowering period or, in extreme cases, at its time.
At the very beginning of the disease with powdery mildew and for the prevention of cucumbers are treated:
- Bordeaux liquid (a teaspoon on a bucket of water),
- colloidal sulfur (sulfaride),
- "Ridomil Gold",
- Tiovit Jet.
Block the spread of fungus and harmless to the plant means:
- "Fundazol" or its analogue "Fundazim",
- "TITLE KE",
Modern fungicides with a protective effect:
Sulfuric preparations are good for destroying powdery mildew pathogens. But they can burn the leaves of cucumber, if you exceed the concentration of the solution.
Fungicides on a cucumber bed are dosed because they accumulate in all parts of the vegetable. An excessive amount of a substance will cause the concentration of pesticides to be exceeded in fruits.
After the use of most drugs, a break of at least 20 days is necessary from the time of processing until the fruits are consumed.
In addition, such substances inhibit the growth of not only harmful fungi, but also the development of the plants themselves. As a result, the ovaries form less, the yield decreases.
Popular methods to combat powdery mildew are good because they can be used throughout the season. They do not harm the plants and are safe for the person who performs the treatment. After spraying with natural remedies, the fruit can be consumed immediately.
You can make a powder against powdery mildew using chemicals:
- Potassium permanganate - 1 gram per bucket of water.
- Silicate glue (sodium silicate) - 30 ml per bucket. A protective film is formed on the surface of the sheet. It can be mixed with fungicides or used independently. But together with growth regulators can cause the death of cucumber plantations.
- Colloidal sulfur - 40 grams per 10 liters of fluid. This solution is used when infecting with powdery mildew spores on cucumbers in a greenhouse. On open ground, the concentration of the mixture is 2 times less. The solution is not stored, it is used immediately. Air temperature - from +25 to + 35 ° C.
- Sulfur ground - 30 g scatter on 10 m2 of soil.
- Copper sulfate - 80 g per bucket of liquid. Add 50 g of soda ash.
Other compounds with soda:
- Soda Ash - 1 part, laundry soap - 1 part.
- Drinking soda - 5 g, water - 1 l. Add grated soap. Spray need at least four times.
- Baking soda and soap, taken in equal parts. Spray daily during the week.
- It destroys the fungus and iodine: the milk - 1 l, the iodine - 10 drops, the warm water - the bucket.
Infusions with soap:
- Liquid soap - 5 g, soda ash - 25 g, boiling water - 5 l. Stir well, cool. Sprayed 3 times: on the first day, on the second, then on the seventh day after re-treatment.
- Ash - 1 kg, water - a bucket. Insist 7 days. A small amount of rubbed soap is added just before spraying.
- Soap - 5 g, ash - 150 g, boiling water - 1 l. Insist 2 days.
Very effectively work against fungi on cucumbers soured dairy products. They form a protective film on the surface of the leaves. The acidic environment that is created on cucumbers, prevents the growth of bacteria.
Spraying solutions with fermented milk products:
- Whey - 1 part, cold water - 10 parts.
- Whey - 3 liters, blue vitriol - 1 tsp, water - a bucket.
- Kefir and liquid in arbitrary proportions.
The development of powdery mildew stops and under the influence of plant infusions, especially fermented ones:
- Chopped garlic - 50 g, cold water - 2 liters. Insist day, strain.
- Nettle nettle (fill half capacity) pour liquid, leaving for the possibility of fermentation of about 10 cm to the edges. Insist 2 weeks. Dilute with water 1:20.
- Horsetail - 1 kg, water - a bucket. Withstand the day. Then boil for about two hours. Can be used for seven days. Before use, dilute 1: 5.
- Marigolds - 1/2 buckets. Warm water - a bucket. Insist, strain. Add laundry soap - 50 g.
- Any weeds - half a bucket, hot water - to the brim. Insist week, strain.
- Plantain, celandine, dandelion, coltsfoot, woodlouse chop, grind, pour a bucket of hot water. To sustain 2 days. Strain, add 1 tbsp. l liquid soap and 1 tbsp. l urea. Spray twice at weekly intervals.
Very effective against powdery mildew with manure and mullein manure:
- Dead manure - a bucket, water 5 buckets. Insist 5 days, strain, dilute 1: 3. Sprinkle cucumbers need three times, making a week break.
- Manure - 1 part, water - 3 parts. To sustain 4 days, strain, dilute with water 1:10.
- Perepevshy mullein - 1 part, water - 3 parts. Insist 3 days. Dilute with water 1: 2.
- Liquid mullein - 1 liter, water - a bucket, urea - 1 tbsp. l Insist 2 days.
Spraying with manure not only relieves cucumbers from powdery mildew, but also feeds them.
They process cucumbers on a warm, windless evening, trying to wash both sides of the leaves with a solution.
What to do to prevent
Following the rules of cultivation of cucumbers, you can save them from powdery mildew infection. So, you need to take care that in a radius of 20 m there were no plants that suffer from this fungus.
Basic rules for the prevention of powdery mildew on cucumbers:
- At the old place cucumbers can be planted only after 3 years. You should not choose places for beds in lowlands and in the shade. The soil in the plot where cucumbers are planted is periodically loosened. After harvesting, you need to completely clear the planting area of plant debris and weeds, and pour earth over the solution of potassium permanganate.
- Seeds are pretreated with hot water (+ 55 ° C) or special means: "Trichodermine", "Grandsilom". Seeds or seedlings are placed in a soil warmed to + 12 ° C.
- In the greenhouse it is necessary to monitor the temperature. During the day should be about + 20 ° C, but not higher than + 30 ° C, at night - + 17 ° C.
- When watering drops should not fall on the leaves and stems. Watered with water no colder + 20 ° C.
- In order for cucumbers to grow strong and could resist the pathogens of powdery mildew, they need to be fertilized. A bucket of liquid requires 6 g of ammonium nitrate, 10 g of urea, 8 g of potassium chloride, 10 g of superphosphate.
For the prevention of infection with powdery mildew, planting cucumbers is treated with the following compositions:
- Copper sulfate - 5 g, soap - 50 g, water - 5 l. Sprayed cucumbers 2 times, making a break of 7 days.
- Mustard powder - 2 tbsp. l., warm water - a bucket. It is used for watering.
Ready-made preparations "Topaz", "Quadris", "Planriz" and "Strobe" can be used to treat powdery mildew on cucumbers, but they are more effective for preventing the disease. They can spray the seedlings, which are formed by 5 leaves. Before flowering, treatment is carried out every 2 weeks.
Diseases and pests of cucumbers
Vegetable crops are prone to ailments of various types, regardless of the place of growth. There are diseases of cucumbers in the greenhouse and in the open air. The role of pathogens, as a rule, is played by fungi, but viral and bacterial lesions of plants and fruits are not uncommon. Among the mushroom emit:
- Different kind of rot. Equipped greenhouse or the cultivation of cucumbers using conventional film only helps the fungi in the ground to actively destroy crops. Both the roots of young cucumbers and parts of the grown plants can rot.
- Diseases whose symptoms are spots on the leaves and fruits. By the color of the plaque it is not difficult to determine the infection with which disease occurred, including powdery mildew. Such illnesses develop well under conditions of high humidity, threaten to weaken seedlings and even die off less stable ones.
With the help of bacteria, cucumbers can become infected with angular leaf spot. The uncomplicated name conceals the possibility of losing half the crop. All parts of cucumbers during the course of the disease may be affected by dark brown specks of angular shape. The leaves die first, the fruits, on the surface of which these symptoms are noticeable, bend and rot with the seeds a little later.
A virus has a disease with a pleasant name - mosaic. Outwardly, he fully corresponds to his name, and his abilities make it possible to deprive the gardeners of about half of the seedlings of virtually any crop. Photosynthesis of affected leaf plates is reduced, cucumbers stop growing. Helping viruses with their atrocities has a reduced air temperature, which can occur in the middle lane in summer.
Symptoms of cucumber powdery mildew
Small pleasant water droplets, formed in the morning on the grass, have little in common with the disease of cucumbers, although they are called alike. Signs of powdery mildew can be considered white spots on the leaves of cucumbers. The causative agent of the disease is a fungus; after the time required for the maturation of the spores, a certain amount of liquid may be noticed on the gray-white spots. In rare cases, powdery mildew can affect the stem and the fruit itself.
Powdery Mildew Chemicals
Shop tools aimed at a specific pest, in this case a mushroom, almost always do their job completely. However, since there are chemicals in the composition, it is necessary to use preparations to combat the powdery mildew according to the instructions. Means of this type are divided into two categories:
- Fungicides. Powdery mildew preparations, produced in the form of powders, and sometimes immediately in the form of aerosols, require spraying the diseased plant. Popular among this category are drugs Topaz and Tiovit Jet. In what proportions to dilute the powder or emulsion is clear from the description on the pack, but you can apply the tool only during the growing season.
- Biofungicides. Means from powdery mildew on cucumbers of this type will help only at the initial stage. Bacterial cultures from their composition stop the reproduction of harmful fungi. A huge plus of such powdery mildew preparations is environmental safety, which permits use not only during the vegetative period, but also during the appearance of the fruit. Among the well-known distinguished Fitosporin and Planriz.
Treatment of cucumbers from diseases of folk remedies
Homemade medicines made from the ingredients at hand are considered less dangerous due to the lack of chemistry. Often, shopping options in effect they are not inferior. Here are some effective folk methods:
- Rubbed soap is mixed with iodine and milk. About 20 g of soap and 25 drops of iodine are required per liter of milk component. The resulting solution of cucumbers treated once a week and a half.
- Whey diluted with water according to the proportions of 1 to 10. It is very important to achieve a homogeneous solution, then pour into a vessel with a spray and process the cucumbers.
- Weeds can also do a good job: cut them finely, fill with hot water according to proportions 1: 1, insist 3 days. After the time, strain and splash on vegetables in the evenings.
- 4 g of soda and rubbed soap stir in a liter of water. Get a homogeneous solution. Spray weekly twice a day.
Regardless of whether vegetables are grown inside a greenhouse or not, powdery mildew on cucumbers can manifest itself in all its glory. Preventive measures aimed at protecting crops, can protect the future harvest from death. In order not to have to treat cucumbers during the growing season or the ripening of fruits, you need to remember the following rules:
- Before placing young seedlings in the ground, make sure that no particles of plant origin are left inside. The fact is that for wintering the fungus, the plants remaining after harvesting are the best fit. They must be removed and burned.
- Fertilizers are good in moderation! Those that contain nitrogen components in large quantities, instead of benefit, can cause harm: help powdery mildew to be activated.
- The causative agent of powdery mildew of cucumbers is sensitive to potassium and phosphorus. Feed cucumbers with fertilizers containing these elements.
Video: cucumber diseases and their treatment
To begin active measures to combat powdery mildew, you need to identify the disease in time by external symptoms. Give a complete picture of what looks like a cucumber disease, help photos and videos below. Often this disease can be mistaken for peronospora of cucumbers, referred to in the common people as downy mildew. Specialists in this field will tell how to distinguish one from the other and how the treatment will differ.
Mealy dew and other diseases of cucumbers
Cucumbers spend most of their life cycle on the ground: whips and leaves of a plant lie on the ground, directly contacting it. Wet soil, especially in the absence of fluid drainage, is an ideal breeding ground for a variety of fungi, bacteria and viruses. Cucumbers are very susceptible to infectious diseases. It should be noted that cucumbers that wind up and grow upwards on a support, are ill much less often than cucumbers, which whips lie on the ground.
At first glance, this may seem strange, but cucumbers that grow in a greenhouse, are ill with downy mildew much more often than cucumbers growing in open ground. This is due to the fact that the warm and humid air under the film contributes to the intensive reproduction of pathogens. If cucumbers that are in the greenhouse are sick, the main disease control measure will be regular greenhouse airing.
Cucumbers suffer from other diseases. Борьба с ними порой бывает очень нелегкой. Листья и плоды, пораженные различными вирусными инфекциями, можно увидеть на фото в интернете.Diagnosis of the disease by photo allows you to identify the causative agent of the disease in time and take competent control measures.
More often cucumbers suffer from the following infectious diseases:
- powdery mildew,
- white and gray rot,
- angular spotting,
- mosaic. This disease got its name due to the fact that cucumber leaves under the influence of the virus are covered with spots of different colors and shades: white, gray, brown.
Powdery Dew: Causes
More often This fungal infection appears and spreads because:
- the gardener is watering the cucumbers too intensively, without loosening the soil and developing a fluid drainage system,
- the summer was wet, rainy and cool
- the greenhouse in which cucumbers are grown is rarely ventilated or just not ventilated,
- the soil on which cucumbers grow is saturated with nitrogen. This happens in cases where the gardener is abusing nitrogen fertilizers.
It is quite easy to notice the signs of the disease on the leaves and fruits. "Mealy" - from the word "flour". A characteristic white bloom appears on the leaves, as if they had been rolled in flour. If the disease spreads, and the gardener takes no action, soon not only the leaves but also the fruits are affected.
Fruits with white bloom can not be eaten. “Dew” this fungal infection was called due to the fact that when the disease progresses rapidly, the release of moisture is added to the appearance of white bloom: the leaves become wet to the touch. If you do not fight the infection, the leaves and stems begin to get wet and rot, then necrosis (dying off) of the leaves occurs, and the plant dies. It happens that die the entire areas planted with cucumbers.
The disease practically does not affect cucumbers growing in a hot and dry climate. Most often, the disease begins to develop when in the summer for several days in a row there are prolonged torrential rains. In order to prevent infection, it is advisable to loosen the soil after each heavy rain so that the liquid goes into the soil and does not stagnate. The bed for cucumbers is best to arrange on a small elevation, so that the water after heavy rains flow down.
Recently, domestic breeders are actively developing new cucumber varieties, which have a strong immunity to this disease and other fungal diseases. Seeds of these varieties are quite expensive, but their planting avoids many problems.
Disease affects not only cucumbers. This infection is also often observed in grapes and currants of different varieties, as well as in gooseberries. For the prevention of cucumbers should not plant them next to the berry bushes. After all, the infection tends to spread rapidly.
If she appeared on a currant or gooseberry, then immediately goes to cucumbers, because the plants grow on the same soil. If it so happens that cucumbers grow next to a currant or a gooseberry, in early spring, before the bud breaks, the berry bushes should be doused with boiling water. Then the disease does not threaten them, and, therefore, cucumbers do not get sick.
There are also the following methods of prevention for cucumbers:
- need to observe moderation in watering,
- a greenhouse in which vegetables grow, it is necessary to air and disinfect regularly,
- if possible, support should be installed for cucumbers. These can be wooden or iron sticks. When the cucumber winds and climbs up the pedestal, the lash does not lie on the ground, which means that they are reliably protected from rotting,
- If there are several plants on the garden with a severe disease (white, moist and rotting leaves), they will have to be parted. In no case can the affected lashes be carried to the compost pile, otherwise reinfection will occur. They should only be burned, observing the rules of fire safety.
If you follow these simple preventive measures, the gardener will be able to protect cucumbers from infection.
We need to think about prevention even in winter and in early spring, when gardeners are just starting to prepare seeds for planting. If cucumbers have suffered from the disease all season, it is not recommended to use their own seeds, it is better to purchase seeds in a store or from neighbors gardeners. If the gardener uses its own seeds, they need to be properly stored.
After collecting the seeds, they are thoroughly dried (for example, on a newspaper or on a windowsill) and stored in a dry, dark place. You can store the seeds in a hermetically sealed tin or in a canvas bag. Before you prepare the seeds for planting, you need to process them with antifungal solutions, this increases the resistance of cucumbers to the disease.
It is recommended to plant seedlings on a sunny day, when a few days in a row the weather is dry and warm, and there is no torrential rain. A foggy day, when the humidity of the air is increased - not the best option for planting seedlings in open ground. The more moisture in the soil and air, the greater the risk of “catching up” this dangerous disease.
Mealy dew on cucumbers: the means to fight industrial production
If you managed to catch the disease at the very beginning, it is quite possible to cope with it by limiting irrigation, loosening the soil and folk remedies. However, if you miss the onset of the disease, there is no time left to treat cucumbers with folk remedies.
In those cases when it is necessary to act promptly, fungicides of industrial production will come to the aid of the gardener. You can use fungicides (antifungals, which include chemicals) and biofungicides (antifungals, which include natural biologically active substances that prevent the appearance and spread of the fungus). Some fungicides are toxic to humans, so when working with them it is necessary to observe all precautions.
Acquire fungicides and biofungicides only in specialized stores. Do not trust the bright advertising slogans. It is impossible to cure this disease in one day, it is a long and rather laborious process. It is also impossible to get rid of the disease forever, as the disappeared fungus can reappear at any time when it becomes cold and rains begin. Before choosing industrial fungicides, it is recommended to read the dacha reviews on the Internet and consult with experienced gardeners.
If measures are taken in time, this fungal disease is easily treated. The main thing is to monitor soil moisture and pay attention to fluid drainage. At first, you can try the tried-and-true “grandmothers” products, and only then, if they do not help, it is worth switching to more powerful fungicidal agents. Anyone, even a novice gardener, can successfully cope with a fungus if he sees the onset of the disease in time and prevents its development. A disease that is progressing will be more difficult to treat.
What is powdery mildew?
Mealy dew is a bacterial disease of cucumbers, which provokes the premature drying of plants. Leaves, stems, fruits may be affected. The disease is characterized by the fact that it spreads very quickly, that is why it is important to carry out preventive measures in a timely manner and to treat already-affected plants.
Mealy dew on cucumbers in a greenhouse often appears on plants that grow near the door, near poorly glazed frames, where it is damp and cool enough. In the open ground, this disease often occurs with significant fluctuations in temperature.
Powdery Mildew Conditions
Powdery mildew is often formed on cucumbers in the greenhouse, as there are the most suitable conditions for the occurrence of various diseases and the spread of bacteria. Especially if there have been previous infections. Often, even after the complex treatment of plants and prevention, the bacteria remain in the soil and re-form on the plants in the spring.
In the open field, the disease occurs with frequent dry days wet and cool. Excessive application of nitrogen fertilizers to the soil can provoke the rapid spread of bacteria.
Powdery mildew control methods
Many people are interested in how to deal with powdery mildew on cucumbers and what methods and drugs are best to apply. It is very important to prevent the spread of the disease at the very beginning. At the initial stage of the formation of the plant fungus can be saved. There are various methods of dealing with this type of fungal infection, in particular, such as:
- the use of folk remedies
- treatment with chemicals.
When choosing treatment methods, the period of infection is of great importance. At the initial stage, prophylaxis is required. With a slight lesion of the plant, folk techniques are applied, and with extensive damage, chemical preparations are used. If the fruits are already beginning to ripen, then the use of chemicals is unacceptable.
Use of chemicals
When the earliest signs of a fungal infection of a plant occur, it is important to know how to deal with powdery mildew on cucumbers. It should be remembered that measures to eliminate bacteria must be taken immediately, otherwise it will be very difficult to destroy the harmful fungus. Before carrying out of medical actions it is necessary to stop making top dressings, and also it is important to thin out plantings, to clean dry plants, to tear off the struck tsvetonosa.
For the fight against this type of bacteria, fungicide preparations help quite well, in particular, such as:
- means "Fundazol"
- a mixture of "Topaz"
- spraying liquid "Tilt".
Well-proven drug "Fitosporin" from powdery mildew on cucumbers. For the treatment of plants with this tool you need to dilute 6-10 g of the drug in 10 liters of water. Among its shortcomings can be distinguished that it is very poorly tolerated by sunlight. However, it belongs to biofungicides, therefore it is safe for people and animals.
Asking about how to process cucumbers from powdery mildew, you can use the tool "Baktofit". This is a very good biofungicide that can be used to spray plants and water them under the root. For the preparation of means you need to take 20 ml of the drug and dissolve it in 10 liters of water. The only drawback of this tool is that it is washed off with precipitation or water during irrigation.
When using the drug "Topaz" you need to take 3 g of the product and dissolve it in 10 liters of water. It is worth remembering that this fungicide is prohibited to apply throughout the entire period of fruiting, in addition, you must take precautions when working with this tool.
Good result shows the means "HOM". To use it, 40 g of powder should be diluted in 10 liters of water. Spray the resulting solution over the beds with cucumbers. This amount of solution is enough for processing 10 square meters. meters of vegetable garden.
The frequency of treatments with these and other drugs is 1 time every 2 weeks. Chemicals prevent the formation of spores of the causative agent, and the high temperature of the air enhances their effect. Chemical preparations show a protective effect literally a few minutes after the spraying and remain for 2 weeks after treatment. Despite the fact that the treatment with biofungicides is allowed during the fruiting period, it is possible to consume vegetables in the food after the treatment is carried out no earlier than in 2-3 days.
It is worth remembering that some tools can be dangerous for a person, so it is important to follow certain security measures. It is very important to know how to deal with powdery mildew on cucumbers correctly, since this fungus develops resistance to chemicals over time, therefore, during treatment, they must be periodically changed.
The use of folk techniques
Folk remedies for powdery mildew on cucumbers help prevent the spread of the disease at the very beginning of its occurrence. A good result can be obtained when using such tools as:
- soda solution,
- copper sulphate,
- decoction of horsetail
- mullein solution,
- soap solution.
Apply folk remedies as possible for the treatment of infected plants, and as a preventive measure. When carrying out prophylaxis, spray plants after each rain.
Baking soda from powdery mildew on cucumbers helps well, it is widely used for many years, it is quite simple to prepare such a solution. For cooking means you need to take in equal proportions liquid soap and baking soda, for 1 tsp., And then pour all this 5 liters of boiling water. Mix well, cool. Spray cucumbers with this solution should be 1 time every 10 days. The total number of treatments depends on the degree of damage to plants. It is best to apply not ordinary soap, but tar, as it helps to more effectively remove the fungal infection.
The solution of mullein and whey
Selecting the means of dealing with powdery mildew on cucumbers, you can use a solution of mullein. To prepare it, you need to dissolve 1 kg of fertilizer in 10 liters of water, and before applying it, add another liter of water.
Well helps to cope with the fungus whey. To do this, dilute it with water and carry out this solution to root cucumber. After that, a film of lactic bacteria forms on the leaves, which prevents the growth of the fungus.
Decoctions of plants
Well helps to cope with the fungus decoction of horsetail. To do this, take 100 g of fresh or dried plants, pour 100 g of water for a day, then boil for 1-2 hours, strain, cool, dilute it with water in a ratio of 1: 5 and sprinkle cucumbers. You can store this broth for a week.
Weed infusion is considered a good helper against fungi. To do this, half a bucket of grass should be poured with water and infused for several days in a warm place.
You can also use a decoction of nettle, which helps to quickly and effectively cope with the spores of bacteria.
Asking about how to treat cucumbers from powdery mildew, you can use the infusion of garlic. To do this, you need to insist a medium sized head of garlic in water for a week at room temperature. Strain the resulting infusion, dilute 10 liters of water and spray it on the plants with a spray bottle.
Other means for powdery mildew
Well helps to cope with the defeat of bacteria pollination of leaves with sulfur. To do this, carefully crushed sulfur poured into gauze fabric and conduct pollination in warm sunny weather. After processing, the cucumbers in the garden should be covered with film for 2 hours. When carrying out processing in the greenhouse it is necessary to close all windows and doors.
A good result can be obtained when spraying cucumbers from powdery mildew with a solution of potassium permanganate. To prepare it, dilute 1.5 g of potassium permanganate in 10 liters of water.
The spraying of colloidal sulfur, which should be diluted at the rate of 40 g per 10 liters of water, is also considered an effective tool. Treatment with this tool is best done in cloudy weather.
You need to know not only how to deal with powdery mildew on cucumbers, but also how to prevent its occurrence on plants. Among the main preventive measures should be highlighted such as:
- planting cucumber varieties resistant to powdery mildew,
- presowing seed treatment,
- watering with warm settled water,
- careful use of nitrogen supplements,
- careful collection and destruction of plant residues.
These reliable preventive measures will prevent powdery mildew in the future. In addition, it is necessary to provide the plants with a sufficient flow of fresh air, which is why it is necessary to thin out the seedlings in a timely manner, as well as remove old leaves that are in contact with the soil.
Water cucumbers need only after the complete drying of the topsoil. It is necessary to spend watering and spraying in the morning, so that the plants have time to dry completely until the evening.
Mealy dew (pepelitsa)
This is perhaps the most common disease of greenhouse cucumbers. In protected ground it spreads instantly and its harmfulness is enormous. In the open ground powdery mildew is less common, does not spread so rapidly, and therapeutic measures give a much greater effect than in the greenhouse.
Description of the pathogen.
- Powdery mildew on cucumbers is caused by pathogenic oidium fungi. Pumpkin can parasitize several strains of this pathogen.
- The pathogen overwinters in the soil and plant residues, where it can last up to 5-7 years.
- It affects cucumbers, starting from the seedling stage. Infection can occur during the entire growing season, but most often occurs in the second half of summer.
- Spread with soil and water. During the sporulation period, spores can be carried by the wind.
Combating the disease with chemicals
The treatment is carried out immediately upon detection of the first signs. It should be noted that infection of healthy plants occurs rapidly, and the slightest delay can lead to a shortage of crops and the death of plants.
- Colloidal sulfur - the main powder against powdery mildew - is not used in the greenhouse. В теплице, где высокая температура и влажность, даже нормальная концентрация препарата может вызвать сильные ожоги огурцов, а если превысить концентрацию, даже незначительно, можно погубить растения. В открытом грунте обработку препаратами серы лучше проводить в пасмурную погоду. Готовят рабочий раствор строго по инструкции. При обработке серой и ее производными температура воздуха должна быть не менее 20°С и не более 32°С.At low temperatures, the drugs will not work, at high temperatures they are phytotoxic, that is, they kill the plants. Colloidal sulfur is sold in garden stores in its pure form, the preparation based on it is Tiovit Jet. All pumpkin crops and cucumber, in particular, are very sensitive to sulfur, so they carry out a one-time processing. It is impossible to spray cucumbers with sulfur-containing drugs several times during the growing season.
- Application of fungicides: Rajok, Tilt, Topsin-M, Topaz, Bayleton. Re-processing is carried out after 14 days, changing the drug, because the pathogen very quickly acquires resistance to the drugs.
- At the early stage they use the biological preparation Alirin B. The soil bacteria contained in it at the very early stage can destroy the pathogen. It is usually used if there is a high risk of disease. The treatment is carried out 2-3 days after heavy rains.
- If powdery mildew appears in the greenhouse from year to year, then at least 10 cm of earth is removed, replacing it with a new one.
- In the fall, remove all plant residues.
- The greenhouse is disinfected by igniting sulfur bombs in it, or washing structures using disinfectants.
- Thinning of thickened crops, because it is there that most often appear the first foci of the disease.
- Thorough airing greenhouses. Reducing humidity reduces the risk of powdery mildew.
- Removal of weeds around the perimeter of the cucumber.
Powdery mildew resistant varieties
At present, they are bred enough, both hybrids and bee-pollinated varieties. Sustainability means that with a small spread of the pathogen, cucumbers are not affected. With a strong outbreak of the disease, only individual leaves on the cucumber are affected, but the main part of the cucumbers do not get sick.
Description and signs of the disease
Mealy dew is a fungal disease of vegetables that affects the stems and leaves. Mushrooms colonize plant epithelium cells and contribute to the formation of mycelium - it is a bloom of white color. The incubation period of the fungi lasts from 3 to 5 days.
Favorable conditions for the formation of powdery mildew are abundant humidity and warm weather. If in the summer with warm weather several days in a row there were prolonged rains, then after a few days you can notice a white bloom, and then yellowed leaves.
The most favorable temperature ranges from +16 to +22 degrees. Also, infection requires a large amount of sunlight. Sudden temperature drops during the night and day weaken the immunity of cucumbers, which contributes to the rapid infection with powdery mildew.
In addition, powdery mildew appears when:
- Highly dense plantings of vegetables,
- A large amount of nitrogen in the soil,
- Overdrying or vice versa, soil transfusion,
- Watering the beds when the topsoil is not dry out.
The damaged plant looks like this:
- White fluffy bloom appears in the form of spots on the leaves and stalks of cucumbers,
- Wilting leaves
- Yield decline
- Leaves become twisted, and then begin to fall.
For the treatment of powdery mildew on cucumbers, you can use traditional methods that are not inferior in efficiency to chemical agents. And also they are safer.
Prevention of cucumber diseases
The most effective way to cope with vegetable diseases is prevention. It is enough to follow simple rules for growing and caring for cucumbers and never have to treat plants for powdery mildew. It will take much less time to take preventive actions than to fight a disease that has already appeared.
- For planting you need to choose only quality seeds. Before sowing in the soil they must be disinfected.
- Before planting, both seeds and seedlings in the soil, you need to ensure that the soil is heated. The minimum soil temperature should be +12 - +16 degrees.
- Planted seedlings should be in a prepared soil. The soil is carefully digged, remove all the weeds and watered with a solution of potassium permanganate. Then mixed with manure and only then planted seedlings.
- All crop residues after harvest are burned away from the site.
- It is recommended to choose those seeds of cucumber, on which resistance to diseases is indicated.
- Regularly beds weed. Weeds not only prevent vegetables from growing, but also tolerate disease.
- From diseased leaves should immediately get rid of, so that the fungus does not spread further. Remove them as soon as possible.
- Regular fertilization. Top dressing needs to be brought several times in a season.
- It is important not to forget about crop rotation. Every year a place for sowing cucumbers should be changed. This will prevent reinfestation of the vegetables with powdery mildew. If the soil was contaminated, then such places should be planted with crops that are immune to powdery mildew.
Ways to prevent disease is always the most effective method to preserve the crop.
How to deal with powdery mildew folk methods
Mealy dew can be met not only on cucumbers, but also on other vegetables. Most often it affects the leaves, less often - the stems, roots and fruits. Immediately after the first signs of powdery mildew appeared, measures should be taken to treat cucumbers. For this you can use folk remedies.
Powdery mildew control measures on cucumbers:
- Soap and wood ash solution
Cure cucumbers can be using soap and ash. Soap grate and mix with 200 gr. wood ash. Pour all the warm water and mix thoroughly to dissolve the soap. Handle bushes 3 times a week.
- Powdery Mildew Soda
Powdery mildew can be cured with soda. Need to take 100 grams. soda, 75 gr. vitriol and 10 liters of water. Mix all the ingredients and process the cucumbers. Soda water should be first of all foliage.
How to deal with powdery mildew on cucumbers with garlic? Chop garlic cloves with greens and add water. Leave to infuse for 12 hours. Then sprinkle cucumber leaves for two weeks. Infusion can be watered as part of the land where cucumbers grow.
On cucumbers, the fight against powdery mildew can be carried out with the help of a rotted mullein. Using this tool cucumbers can be saved from death. Mix 1 part of the mullein with 3 equal parts of water. Insist the mullein should be within 3 days. It is possible to process bushes both in an open ground, and in the greenhouse.
If you do not start treating cucumbers in time, they will very quickly turn yellow. To save the leaves using kefir (you can even take overdue). Foliage is watered with kefir every 3 days.
If cucumbers have a white bloom, then potassium permanganate will help to cope with it. 2 gr. potassium permanganate diluted in 10 liters of warm water. Spray the resulting solution on the cucumbers for 2 weeks. If the plaque does not disappear, the spraying can be continued.
Chemical preparations for cucumbers
In order to get rid of the powdery mildew, a large number of chemical preparations were created. Preparations can be purchased at any store for gardening.
Recently, biofungicidal drugs have become popular. They are safe and non-toxic. Biofungicides can be used even during the formation of ovaries and fruits. No negative effects on human health will be provided.
What drugs help to get rid of powdery mildew:
Phytosporin is one of the most popular means used to combat diseases of vegetables. Phytosporin incorporates biofungicides, which are based on bacteria. It is with their help that the use of the drug Fitosporin slows the growth of the mycelium of fungi.
If yellowing of the leaves has begun, Topaz is used. Get rid of the powdery mildew with this remedy for one week. But it is worth remembering that Topaz is toxic to humans, so for the time of treatment of cucumbers it is better not to touch them. The active substance is penconazole. Only one ampoule is required for 10 liters of water. Spraying the leaves on cucumbers can be just prepared solution. Leftovers after spraying are poured. Spray the leaves should be every two weeks.
Get rid of the flour dew will help Tilt KE. Suitable for spraying in the greenhouse. The active ingredient of this drug is propiconazole, which suppresses the formation of fungal spores. Available in the form of an emulsion. Increasing the temperature enhances the action of the active components of Tilt CE. To protect plants from the harmful effects of fungi, it penetrates directly into the tissue. For 10 liters of water you need to take 40 grams. facilities. A few hours after spraying, a protective layer appears on the plants. He holds more than two weeks.
How to cope with downy mildew
In addition to powdery mildew, there is also powdery mildew. The disease also affects mainly the leaves. The main difference between these two diseases lies in the fact that with downy mildew the leaves immediately turn yellow, and there is no white scurf.
If the beds began to turn yellow leaves, you should immediately take action. Practice shows that powdery mildew is much more difficult to get rid of.
Factors that can trigger this crop disease are:
- Watering with ice water
- Warm and humid air
- Improper care of plants.
You can save the harvest with the following measures:
- To air that part of the greenhouse where the cucumbers grow,
- Do not water the beds with cold water,
- Harvest periodically.
How to treat cucumbers with downy mildew
For treatment, you can use the same methods as in the fight against a previous disease. You can also spray the beds with drugs such as:
For the fight against fungi used folk remedies. They are very effective and non-toxic to humans.