Amazing beauty ornamental plant, presented in the article, can be a great addition to the decoration of any garden area in all seasons. In the summer, it pleases with its luxurious flowering, closer to the autumn, the berries appear whitish-blue, and the foliage acquires an indescribable purple tint. With the onset of winter, even its branches look good against the background of a cover of snow-white snow. The plant is a white turf, usually used to create beautiful hedges and to form amazing decorative figures from it. Call it more and svidinoy white.
The article presents some information about the plant white deren: photos, planting, features of care, etc.
Little about the name
Its everyday name is white cornel. It belongs to the Kizilov family. Botanists in the genus dogwood have about 60 species, divided into 4 subgenera. It refers to the white turf to the subgenus svidina (or svidina), whence another name came from - svidina white.
In the UK, the colloquial name sounds Siberian dogwood, and in America (USA) - Tatarian dogwood. In the British name, the epithet “Siberian” refers to the homeland of the bush: Siberia, north of Korea and China. And the American "dog" tree reflects the very old name of the fruit of the plant, which was called the canine berries. According to another version, the word dogwood is a slightly modified dagwood, meaning solid wood, from which swords, daggers and arrows were previously made. And in fact, white wood was widely used for this purpose. The very first mention of deren, preserved to this day in this capacity, belongs to the poet Jeffrey Chuser (late 14th century). It turns out that this plant was present in the culture of the peoples of Europe and Asia from the most ancient times.
Daren has another popular name - reddish. And it is called white in connection with the color of its berries and flowers.
Features of the plant
In the culture of white deren (the description is detailed below in the article) is a hedge, changing its outfits several times during the year. Moreover, the first impression of him is an ordinary undistinguished bush, which does not attract anything special. In fact, the green leaves of the bush can be transformed into bright orange. They may be red, and purple, and even purple, depending on the variety. In winter, you can observe the amazingly beautiful coral color of the bark of the branches.
The decorative value of such a shrub is rather high due to such peculiar qualities - reincarnation at different times of the year. Derain white at gardeners is the leader among all types of bushes. It is impossible not to notice the 3-meter bushes, blooming a year twice (age 2-3 years). And their fruits are not only decoration. Among them are species known for their sweet and sour, edible and tasty fruits.
Derain white: description, photo
It is an ornamental, versatile shrub. Such a garden plant looks great in any season of the year.
In addition to the mottled leaves and spectacular bark, the plant adorns the garden area with its early flowering in the spring, white berries in the summer, and autumn purple. The plant belongs to the Cornel family. In total there are, as noted above, about 60 species, and both evergreen and deciduous. However, not all of them are frost resistant.
Derain white (photo given in the article) in the wild grows on forest edges. Its wood is heavy and dense.
The popular name "krasnotal" deren received thanks to its stems - they can be from red to brown in color. You can find bushes with very bright red branches that look great in autumn and winter. And the leaves of many varieties in the autumn become a beautiful orange, cherry or brown color. Their form is oval, pointed at the top.
Flowering occurs twice a year (the end of spring - the beginning of summer and the end of summer - the beginning of autumn), depending on weather conditions.
Types and varieties
Varieties of varieties of this plant are many. The most famous are the various subspecies (more than 20) of the ordinary white turf.
The brightest popular varieties and forms are eleganthissima, aurea, Siberia, lard and variegata. All of them are gorgeous in their color of leaves and bark color in the cold season. Most Popular:
- Derain white Elegantissima, having dark red bark of branches, cream small flowers in flat inflorescences, leaves with light border.
- Siberia, which has bright red branches, cream-colored flowers, white berries and spotted leaves of red hue in the autumn.
- Aurea, with yellow leaves and white berries.
- Shpet, possessing yellow-green spotted leaves, bright red branches in the cold season, small creamy inflorescences and berries of white color.
- Kesselring - the most cold-resistant variety, having branches of dark red color, leaves reddish and white berries.
Derain White Elegance
The most common variety has another name - argenteomarginata. It has the following features:
- short height (up to 3 meters), width up to 3 m,
- sprawling and flexible branches, beautifully intertwined,
- young shoots have olive-green color of the bark, which closer to the autumn turns into maroon-red with a bluish bloom,
- gray-green leaves slightly wrinkled, have a wide white stripe,
- white flowers with a slight pink tint are gathered in clusters of inflorescences (it does not always bloom again),
- the fruits are spherical drupes, having a white color with a bluish or yellow tint (they cannot be eaten).
The name of the variety speaks for itself. The bush looks very elegant. Flowering begins in the third year of growth.
Further it will become clear that for this plant the process of growing, planting and care is not at all complicated. Derain is white (the photo is presented in the article) grows best in areas of the sun, but in partial penumbra he feels rather well. Not terrible for this plant and groundwater, located close to the roots.
Preferred soils are wet and fertile, but can grow on the poor, but periodic feeding is necessary. Sandy soil for this plant is not very suitable - decorative properties deteriorate and grows more slowly. Also, clay soils do not quite fit, as they are heavy and do not allow oxygen to flow to the roots of the plant.
It should be noted that the pit must be prepared in advance, about 2 weeks before disembarking. It brings compost, humus and mineral fertilizers. This is enough so that the plant no longer needs additional feedings for several years.
In order to grow a beautiful bush from saplings, it is best to buy them in a nursery. When buying in the market there is some risk. The best seedlings are four years old, giving a lot of strong shoots and growing fairly quickly.
Scheme of planting cuttings and purchased seedlings:
- it is advisable to land at the beginning of spring or at the end of autumn until the first frosts,
- if dried roots are found in the seedlings, they should be placed in a container with water for several hours before planting so that they can absorb the required amount of moisture,
- the site is pre-dig and fertilize,
- bushes should be located at a distance of 2-3 meters
- you should pour one bucket of water into the pits, with compost,
- you need to fill the pit in several stages, while gently ramming the ground around the root,
- young shoots should be watered more often.
For more than 50 years, there lives the white turf. Planting and care do not require much effort. Therefore it is worth it to grow in the garden.
The plant propagates by seeds, cuttings and layering.
- Seeds are collected in the fall. It should be noted that they have excellent germination. You can sow them in the fall, but it is better to first stratify in the cellar or in the refrigerator at a temperature of about +4 degrees. It should be noted that where sapwood grows, the seeds can be carried by birds, so they can sprout in the most unexpected places.
- Green cuttings do not take root very well. Those who went to growth may freeze in the first winter. It is better to root a two-year lignified stem, since root buds are present along the entire length of the branch.
- Reproduction by layering is the best way. It is enough to prikopat them in the spring to a depth of 10 cm and constantly water the soil. The roots will appear in about six months. In the fall or next year, the young bush should be planted in a permanent place, but it is better to leave for another year and transplant a fully formed bush.
It is picky white. Caring for him does not take much time.
Frequent watering is necessary only for newly planted seedlings (daily), adult bushes should be watered only in hot weather (up to 3 times per month). Only one plant needs 2-3 buckets of water.
White turf does not really need additional feeding, but for more active growth and flowering, fertilizer can be applied 2 times a year (in spring - mineral, in summer - organic).
One of the most important stages in the care of Deren - pruning. This shrub allows you to create incredible things with it. It can take a variety of forms, which allows you to perfectly decorate any garden area.
- For proper pruning, a garden saw and pruner are needed.
- Before this process, you should get rid of the old, sick and frostbitten branches.
- Winter is the only time when such an event is not held, but with relatively warm weather, some ugly sticking branches can be cut off.
- If you accidentally trim a fairly large number of branches, you should not be upset, because the turf grows very quickly.
As you can see, easy to care for this plant, as well as planting. Derain white needs some attention, but it is worth it, as it beautifully decorates any part of the garden or park area.
Many variants of crowns can be formed from white turf. Below are the most famous of them:
- Column. For its formation is best suited bush grown from cuttings. To achieve a more spectacular form, only upright shoots should be left, and the protruding ones should be removed.
- Hemisphere. A perennial shrub pruned fresh shoots, which are not more than 3 years old. Moreover, they are cut so that they remain above the ground surface at about 10-15 cm. Height. With this method does not remain bare bottom of the bush.
- Arc. Derain white, from which the columns were created, can be transformed into beautiful arches. To do this, bend the shoots to the side and attach them to the ground or to the fence. Under such arches you can install shops.
- Ball, cube and other forms can be created using garden shears.
Deren's bush can be turned into any shape that perfectly fits into any garden design.
Derain white in landscape design
Deurene is beautiful in any gardens: on private plots with a slope (as this plant is not afraid of any soil erosion), in gardens, among other bushes, as part of mixed flower beds and as a hedge.
In addition to aesthetic value, the berries of the bush attract different birds to the site.
This plant is truly beautiful at all times of the year. It can be a great decoration of any suburban area, even located in the northern harsh regions.
Instead of conclusion
All sorts of plants can be grown on the site. These can be flowers, ampelous and climbing plants, ornamental foliage and shrubs. Such ugly, at first glance, white turfs can also be a wonderful decoration of the garden.
Almost nothing attractive in the summer (thick branches with small white flowers), it stands out clearly among other bushes in the fall. His whole charm is that it is at this time of the year that it is revealed in its full glory.
Planting and caring for white turf (in short)
- Bloom: plentiful in the first half of summer, repeated - in the beginning of autumn.
- Landing: in the spring before the start of sap flow or during the leaf fall.
- Watering: seedlings are watered 1-2 times a week, adult plants - 2-3 times a month in a dry season, spending 1.5-2 buckets of water for each plant.
- Top dressing: when grown in fertile soil, you can not feed, and in the poor soil in the spring under each bush make 100-150 g of complex mineral fertilizers, and in the summer - 5-7 kg of humus.
- Trimming: from the age of three, twice a year: in July and August. Species with brightly colored bark are sheared in the early spring once every few years.
- Reproduction: seeds, layering and cuttings.
- Pests: pyatovki comma and aphid.
- Diseases: powdery mildew.
Derain white - description
Derain white is a branchy shrub with straight, bare and flexible branches of coral-red, black-red or red-brown color, arcuately curving with age. The height of the white turf can reach 3 m. The leaves of the plant are from 2 to 10 in length and 1 to 7 cm wide, opposite, entire, elliptical, petiolate, pubescent, with three to five distinct arcuate veins. The upper side of the leaves is dark green, the bottom is bluish. Small white flowers with four petals are collected in thick end shields with a diameter of 3 to 5 cm. Abundant blooms take place in the first half of summer, and in the beginning of autumn white turf blooms again. Fruits of white turf are berry-like drupes, bluish in unripe form and bluish-white, flattened after ripening. It blooms and bears white fruit from two or three years old.
Derain white is winter-hardy, heat-resistant, shade-tolerant, grows well on any soil and in city conditions. He is as beautiful as unpretentious.
When planting turf white.
Planting a white turf and caring for it does not require any special skills. You can plant white deren in early spring, before the start of sap flow, or during leaf fall. For most gardeners, autumn planting is preferable, because with the onset of spring, overwintered seedlings immediately start to grow. If you decide to plant white deren in the spring, try to keep as much soil as possible on the roots, in which the seedling has grown, to protect the root system from transplant stress.
White Derain normally grows in partial shade and even in the shade, so it is often planted under trees or along blank walls and fences. However, variegated forms require bright lighting, otherwise their foliage loses its original coloring.
How to plant turf white.
The composition of the soil is of great importance for the plant; it does not grow white on light sandstones, on stony sites, and in heavy loams. The only requirement is a neutral level of acidity of the soil.
The best planting material is seedlings not older than 4 years: they quickly take root and give many young shoots after pruning. Before planting, place the root system of the seedlings for several hours in the water so that the roots are saturated with moisture and the adaptation is easier to tolerate. Saplings with a closed root system do not need such a procedure.
The size of the landing pit for the white tree should be a quarter larger than the volume of the root system of a plant with an earthy ball. In order for the white turf to grow normally and develop in swampy soil, it needs to ensure good drainage: a layer of broken brick or crushed stone mixed with sand about 15 cm thick is laid at the bottom of the pit. deep water, drainage in the landing hole can not lay at all or do a layer of sand.
Fill the space around the roots with a mixture of soil from the upper fertile layer with compost and humus. After planting, the surface is tamped down, watered abundantly, and when the water is absorbed, the tree trunk of the seedling is mulched with organic material. The root neck should be level with the surface.
Care for white turf
The white bush is white though unpretentious, but it still requires attention. It consists of caring for the grass in watering, loosening the soil and removing weeds in the tree trunks, feeding, pruning and protection from diseases and pests.
Most of the watering need young and newly planted plants that need to be watered 1-2 times a week. Adult deren is watered only in a strong drought. In the hot season, 2-3 irrigations per month are enough with a flow rate of 1.5-2 buckets of water per plant. After moistening, loosen the soil in a circle and remove weeds.
Feeding white turf is desirable, but not necessary, especially if it grows in fertile soil. In order for the plant to have a healthy and blooming appearance, you can add 100-150 g of complex mineral fertilizer under the bush in the spring, and 5-7 kg of compost or humus in the summer.
Regular forging pruning of white turf is carried out from the age of three, otherwise the lower part of the bush will soon begin to bare. Чтобы куст сохранял компактный вид, нужно удалить на нем каждый третий или четвертый побег, оставив на растении только сильные и развитые ветки. Кусты живой изгороди стригут первый раз в июле, а второй – в августе, после отрастания побегов.Varieties of derin with brightly colored bark are sheared once every few years in early spring, before budding begins: the bushes are pruned completely at a height of 20 cm from the ground. This pruning stimulates the growth of many young shoots.
As for the formation of the bush, the forms popular in landscape design are the column, arc, hemisphere, cube, ball and other figures. You can form a plant in the form of a stem tree, in one trunk. And it is possible to maintain the natural shape of the crown, especially since some varieties of white deren look great even without formative trimming. Such plants need only sanitary cleaning.
Adult white bushes are rarely affected by infections and pests, but young shrubs are vulnerable to powdery mildew, flaps of comma-like and aphids. As soon as a sloppy whitish bloom appears on the leaves of the plant in the spring, immediately remove the affected branches and treat the shrub with a one-percent Bordeaux mixture or Fundazole solution. A solution of any acaricidal drug, for example, Aktara, Aktellik, Akarin, Bankol or Biotlin, should be used against aphids and flaps.
There are several decorative garden forms and many varieties of white deren. Garden forms include:
- – deren white argenteo-marginata - A plant with red bark and green leaves, bordered with a creamy white rim. In the fall, the foliage becomes carmine red. The most popular variety of this form is white eleganthisima shrub - shrub up to 3 m high with spectacular red shoots and a wide, uneven creamy-white edging of leaves, on which, besides the border, there are spots and stripes of cream color,
- – Siberian garden form - low-growing plants with bright red shoots and light green leaves that become red-brown in autumn. White Siberian variety Variegata is popular; it is a shrub up to 2 m high with a wide creamy edging of leaves, as well as cream-colored spots and strokes. In the fall, the green part of the leaves turns purple. The variety is similar to Elegancem, but grows slower, therefore it is suitable for small gardens. Among the gardeners, white Aurea is also demanded - a shrub up to 2 m high with pale yellow leaves, reddish shoots, creamy white flowers and bluish-white fruits,
- – Kern garden form - plants with green leaves in yellow spots,
- – turf white Shpet - garden form, bred about a century ago and representing plants up to 2 m in height with brown-red shoots and a wide uneven golden-yellow border along the edge of green leaves. In autumn, the leaves turn purple,
- – dersen white Kesselring - plants with black-red or purple-black shoots.
The following varieties of white deer are in demand in culture:
Dören: general description of the genus
Dören, a genus of deciduous or evergreen shrubs in the northern hemisphere, belongs to the Kizilov family (Cornaceae). Some classifiers combine Svidina with the genus Kizil, therefore, dogwood and dogwood share a common Latin name - Cornus.
Representatives of the genus Dyrena differ year-round decorative. In the summer they stand out white or golden buds, and some varieties - extraordinary foliage. In the fall, we can admire their snow-white, blue or black berries against the background of purple or scarlet foliage, while winter allows us to look at exotic branches of the bush - red, orange, yellow, bright green ...
I remember how in my childhood I brought a purple branch from the forest with dead-blue berries. Parents immediately threw it away - in their eyes the berries of the bush looked suspicious and dangerous. However, they feared for nothing. Dören berries are not poisonous, despite the strange look.
In the forests of Russia, weeds can be found often. It is distinguished by absolute undemanding to soil, climatic and environmental conditions. Some species are hardy enough to grow well even in Siberia in the north of the Tomsk region and other cold regions. On the embankment of Tomi it perfectly maintains icy winds, light snow on the slopes and quickly recovers from damage by spring ice drift.
Using trash in landscape design
Svidina has become today a universal shrub in landscape design and is used in different ways.
If your garden is viewed and blown from all sides - a thick high turf hedge will help protect more demanding plants from the wind and you from unwanted eyes. Dören is very pleased with the growth rate (about half a year) and excellent branching, so the fence from this shrub is formed quickly by frequent haircuts.
Want to protect the slope from erosion and landslides - plant logs. Its roots and dense growth will perfectly cope with the task of strengthening the soil.
Need to decorate the garden with decorative plantings? Do not forget to choose for the decorative groups some interesting sort of turf: it is unlikely to require care, and it will certainly please the eye. Dören perfectly tolerates moisture in the soil and looks great in plantings near water bodies.
Of course, a good idea would be to use svidina in the garden of cereals and dried flowers, designed for perception not only during the growing season, but also in the winter season. In winter, among the dead trees, bright branches will become a good accent in the garden, and berries on the branches will complement this accent.
Planting turf, care and fight against disease
Planting turf is carried out immediately after the retreat of spring frosts according to standard methods. Do not dig the root collar, do not fertilize with fresh manure and do not forget to spill well after planting - these are the basic rules that I can remind you of planting shit.
The shade is tolerant, tolerates both poor and overmoistened soils, but remember that it will not give up the sunny place, fertile garden land and drainage.
Caring for the wood is simple and needed mainly to improve the decorative qualities of the plant. Watering during dry periods, mulching with peat, weeding, shallow loosening of the soil, feeding and pruning will help your beautiful shrub.
Top dressing Svidina is better to make in two stages: in the spring - complex mineral fertilizers, and in the middle of summer - organic. But without timely feeding, the wood will live peacefully and will not notice anything, but without pruning it will live like a ram without a haircut.
Sanitary trash pruning is carried out in the spring after the leaves bloom, when it becomes clear which branches are alive and which are dead. If you want to enjoy abundant flowering and shrub foliage density, prune in the fall to the desired length (but no more than two-thirds of the shoots). If you want to admire the scarlet branches over the snow canopy - postpone pruning until early spring. Since the grass grows very quickly, many gardeners pruning a third or a quarter of the shoots 2-3 times a season to maintain a neat bush shape.
When the bush in your area starts to grow old - you can safely cut all the shoots in early spring so that they do not rise more than 15 cm above the ground. With the beginning of the growing season, young bright shoots will take the place of decrepit branches.
Most varieties and varieties of turf do not require shelter for the winter. Sometimes they just throw snow in any case. But the heat-loving varieties, like the yo-yo of Japanese, will not interfere with shelter, so always check with the sellers of planting material whether the variety of your choice requires shelter in your climate zone.
Now about the disease svidiny. “The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse” in the cultivation of turf is gray rot, powdery mildew, aphid, and scutes. The first two riders are fungal diseases, so when the first symptoms appear, watering should be reduced (the fungi multiply actively and spread in an environment with high humidity) and treat the bush with Bordeaux fluids or preparations “Chom”, “Vectra”. Aphids and shchitovka are malicious pests, the fight against them can be waged both by treating with chemicals like Karbofos, and by treating with decoction of potato tops, yarrow, tobacco.
Top 5 most popular types of woozy
Dören white (Cornus alba). The most common type and undoubted leader in popularity of use in landscape design. In good conditions, the bush can reach up to 3 meters in height and width. White Dören has upright shoots of a dark red or scarlet color, depending on their age. Along with the color of the shoots, the color of the foliage is noteworthy - large green leaves will turn purple-purple in autumn. And beautiful white hats of inflorescences, which delight the eye from May to June, will turn into clusters of blue-white berries by autumn.
For more than a hundred years, breeders have been working on breeding variegated svidina varieties based on this very tenacious and winter-hardy species. The most famous fruits of their works are ‘Elegantissima’, ‘Sibirica’, ‘Sibirica Variegata’ and ‘Aurea’ - these varieties of pomegranate variegated in landscape design are used everywhere.
- The variety ‘Elegantissima’ is characterized by a wide white border on bluish-green leaves of the shrub. Spreading turf bush ёр Elegantissima 2.5 meters high with red shoots really looks elegant and will be a wonderful tapeworm on your site.
It is worth noting that any variegated grass is much better to reveal its qualities only in a well-lit place. In shading, more chlorophyll will be produced in the leaves of the plant than other pigments, and they will turn green.
Dören red (Сornus sanguinea), or bloodweeds, is reddish, common throughout Europe, and resembles white weeds. But this species is much higher (up to 4 m, according to some information - up to 7 m), has larger leaves, drooping shoots of various colors, depending on the variety. It received its name for the autumn outfit - blood-red huge leaves, decorated with small blue-black berries.
It is a pity that such a handsome man will not grow in our severe Siberia, it is best to grow it within the natural range.
Canadian Dören (Cornus canadensis) is widely distributed in North America and the Far East, it can be found even in Greenland and the Japanese islands. Canadian grass in landscape design is used as a groundcover in compositions, rockeries and to create a shrub lawn. And we understand why, because its life form is a dwarf half-shrub, only 20 cm tall, with grassy stems and large, elongated leaves. Unlike the rest of the woods, it grows slowly. The flowers of the Canadian svidina are hardly noticeable, but the bracts, large and white, give the impression of large single flowers on the plant from June to July. Scarlet berries ripen in August. They enliven the green carpet with bright patches.
For this shrub the semi-shady place with wet sour soils will be ideal. Well, you should not worry about winter hardiness - heat-loving species in Greenland do not survive. The main thing, powder it with snow better. In their natural environment, these plants inhabit snowy areas.
Dören Japanese (Cornus kousa) sometimes also called Bentamia Coase (Benthamidia kousa) and Zinoxilon Cuza (Cynoxylon kousa). The homeland of bentremia is China and Japan. In nature, it grows in the form of a small deciduous tree or tall shrub 5-7 meters tall. Like the wolfberry, the bracts play the role of petals in this species.
The peculiarity of the Japanese yoke is that its dark pink fruits are visually similar to raspberries, but are valued only for their decorativeness. "Malinki" look very pompously on a tree in the fall against the background of bright red foliage and can become an excellent soliter or an accent of a decorative group.
Japanese troyen will feel good only in the south of Russia, in the middle lane a shrub will require shelter for the winter.
Entrepreneurial Japanese have learned to grow dören as a home bonsai plant. Therefore, if you really liked this particular kind of crap, and you do not live in Sochi - look for a good master of art bonsai.
Dören is a shooter (Cornus stolonifera) in its appearance is similar to white sap. It is distinguished by the wadding tree of large bush looseness and incessant vegetative reproduction by offspring. The lower branches, coming closer to the ground, quickly take root and the bush grows strongly in breadth.
A couple of varieties of this restless species deserve special attention: ‘Koralle’ and ‘Cardinal’. They are both curious about the yellow color of the bark. ‘Koralle’ is much higher than ‘Cardinal’ (up to 2.5 meters), bears fruits with black berries, so beloved birds, and can boast of bright yellow shoots all year round.
But the shoots of Cardinal ’in the summer are yellow-green, but by winter they will acquire red hues. The berries of this shrub are white and inedible, even for birds; shoots rise only a meter from the ground. Therefore, it is often used specifically for low, up to a meter, hedges - free or molded.
I described only some species and a very small number of varieties of svidiny. Breeders deduced them so much that in a day you don’t throw it out the window, as they say. Therefore, you can find for yourself a lot of bold, elegant and reliable design solutions using favorite for many yo-yo.
This ornamental shrub is well adapted to growing in the southern and middle latitudes of Russia, in the Far East, in Siberia.
Belongs to the family of cornels, it includes several dozen varieties of various species.
Description of some of the most popular:
- white turf - the most popular and widespread type of peristophilia. Sometimes it is called svidina or svida white. In the wild can be found along the banks of streams and rivers of the Far East, in the Siberian region. It grows up to 3 meters, with beautiful leaves, shaped like birch, but variegated. The branches are thin, erect, painted in bright colors of all shades of red. One of the popular varieties is Elegantissima, this variety can be attributed to Shpet, although its leaves have a yellow border,
- blood red turf - can be met much less often. It grows well in the European part of the country, in the Caucasus. It can reach four meters in height. The shoots are bright green and become red with age. The color of the leaves from green to red in autumn, during the ripening of the fruit. More often grown variety Compress,
- perennial leaf - low shrub, just a meter and a half in height. It is also called svidina perennolistnaya. Also, over time, changes the color of the shoots from green to red. Resistant to frost winters, but received less popularity than the previous two,
- deren blooming (bentamidium) - The bush is not very popular, because it loves heat and does not tolerate the harsh winters of Russia. The grade of bentamidia Kouza changes the color of the leaves in autumn, from dark green they become bright yellow, the fruits are juicy, have a tart taste, edible. Yellow-leaf Derain is not popular in our latitudes due to frequent freezing,
- deren male (common dogwood) - grows in the form of a tree or shrub, it all depends on the formation and trimming of the crown. Height up to 7-8 meters. Flowers are yellow, not large. Fruits are bright, edible, from them jam or dry. To increase the fruiting in the spring it is cut.
All other species are not too noteworthy, because they have not won their place in the countryside plots and are grown only in the Botanical Gardens or in the experimental plots. This is a Derain of offspring, Deren of Beyle, many East Asian species.
For those who are interested in this ornamental shrub and its varieties and species, on the Internet you can find a video or watch a photo.
How to care
For shrubs does not require increased care. It grows on any acidified soil, tolerates a slight shading.
All species common in Russia are winter-hardy, but some varieties can freeze, so the bush can be mulched since autumn.
At the beginning of the season, nitrogen fertilization is applied, and at the end of August phosphate fertilizer. This contributes to the growth of decorative leaf mass, and, thanks to phosphates, preparing for winter.
Pruning and the formation of the bush must begin with the age of three. It is best to cut off an old, sprawling shrub in the spring completely and begin to form a new growth by pinching the growing shoots. So the turf will look neat and well maintained.
Watch the video in which the gardener talks about caring for one of the most unpretentious and spectacular shrubs for the suburban area - turf:
Trimming and Haircut
Rejuvenating pruning should be done in the spring. You can do this in the fall, but in winter the culture looks very decorative, so you shouldn’t cut it in the fall. When pruning pruned all the old branches. Pruning stimulates the growth of new young shoots. Leave the height of the shoots about 20 cm from the stump.
Several times per season (about 3 times) produce a haircut culture. Since the crown is very sprawling, it needs to be shaped. Usually give an oval or spherical shape. In addition to improving the visual appearance, haircut helps to maintain the decorative properties of the bush.
Application in landscape design
Дерен белый применяется в одиночных и групповых посадках, используется для миксбордеров из лиственных и хвойных кустарников. С помощью него создаются живые изгороди, а также зимние сады.
Кроме того, кустарник прекрасно подходит для озеленения городов. Его часто высаживают около школ, медицинских учреждений, на городских аллеях и площадях. Это возможно благодаря устойчивость дерена к условиям города. Ему не страшна пыль, выхлопные газы.
White partners can be:
Derain without any additional treatments well sprouting from the seeds: this is how our amateur collectors of the exotic grow overseas wonders of the flowering tree and the tree coz. Their earlier flowering before leafing is fabulously beautiful. Seed germination is quite high - 70 percent, and lasts for 2-3 years.
But mostly sods are propagated by layering and cuttings, and the seed sod is propagated by root shoots. Cuttings are more often used by nurseries to breed the most attractive clones. Often on the bushes of variegated deren appear twigs with an unusual coloring of the leaves, so they are grated. Well, to get a large number of saplings for sale, they are also grafted.
In amateur gardening, however, the simplest method of propagation is used - they form the layers. To do this, clear the place from the sod and pin to the ground a branch, which is filled with earthen or compost roller. The rooting site is kept moist, and a year later, the rooted escape from the queen is cut off. Transplantation of derenges to a permanent place of a newly obtained seedling is carried out in the third year in spring or autumn.
Derain in landscape design
Derain - one of the ornamental shrubs widely used in landscape design. They are valued for the contrasting color of the bark in the winter, which looks interesting against the background of fallen leaves in late autumn, and snow-white snow in winter.
green fence with green, yellow and red bark in winter
In the summer, variegated forms perfectly set off tall plantings, so the turf is successfully used to decorate the underbrush. In this case, it is planted in small groups. Effectively combined with snowy white, Spiraea Vangutta, white rowan (Sorbus koehneana).
Bush species (white, offspring and blood-red) can be used for molded and unshaped hedges, as well as for strengthening of small slopes, ravines, slopes. These ornamental shrubs tolerate urban conditions, so they are perfect not only for landscape design, but also for decorating roadsides. Deserve wide distribution not only in the middle, but also in the northern zone of the Russian Federation.
variegated turf in summer garden design
Beautiful flowering species (flowering turf and kousa) are used in soliter plantings, but since they withstand temperatures down to -30 degrees, they can be recommended for southern regions. Their bought bloom in early spring is so enchanting that the decorative significance can be compared even with magnolia. In truth, chic ornamental shrubs to give.
As if separated from the above species, common dogwood (C.mas) is separated. In garden design it is colorful in the early spring in the period of bright yellow dress of flowers, and in the autumn when the berries ripen. It is used to design undergrowths and hedges.
In the ecology of the garden, any group of shrubs play a significant role - useful insects find shelter in such plantings. And from the point of view of natural farming, such plantations are very desirable in home gardens. Well, versatility of use in garden design, coupled with frost resistance and unpretentiousness at times raise the value of felts. Planting and caring for this shrub under the force of any gardener, regardless of experience. Successful to you compositions in a garden and good mood!
Very often in the people given shrub called white dogwood or svidina. And on the territory of Western countries and the United States Deren is called a dog tree. Probably, the bush has received such name due to its fruits, which outwardly look like wolf berries. A very long time the wood of this shrub was used to make daggers and knives.
White deren belongs to the dogwood family. The shrub also belongs to the species that are able to live very well on the territory of Russia, as they adapt well to the harsh winters. White turf is quite large in size by culture. It has flexible spreading branches. The color of the bark can be red or red-brown. In its natural habitat, white turf can be found on the side of roads, on the banks of reservoirs, and also on forest edges.
This is an unusual plant. literally all year round looks great. By the end of summer the fruits of round shape and white color ripen on the bush. The diameter of one fruit is about 8 mm. At the same time, small white flowers are formed, which are collected in inflorescences. In the fall, the foliage of the shrub is decorative. It is painted in claret, orange and crimson shades. Even against the background of white snow in winter, this shrub looks very impressive due to its red bark.
Thanks to the work of breeders displayed many varieties of this plant. The most popular of them are the following:
- Derain Siberian. This species is very popular in Russia. It represents an ornamental shrub, which differs from most other varieties in its spreading branches, which have a coral color. The bark becomes especially bright with the onset of winter. It grows to a height of 3 m. The leaves are oblong in shape, painted in dark green color. With the onset of autumn leaves become burgundy or purple. After the rains, the leaves become especially bright, but during drought they can turn pale and fall off. Flowering Siberian lasts from the beginning of summer until autumn. Shrub blossoms white flowers that are collected in inflorescences in the form of shields. At the same time, the fruits begin to ripen. First, the fruits become white, and as they mature, they turn blue. This variety is shade tolerant and resistant to severe frosts. Shrubs are very often used in garden design. As a rule, they are planted in groups, using them to create beautiful hedges, mixborders. In addition, this variety is used for landscaping urban parks, squares and squares.
- Derain elegantissima. This species is quite common. Its main difference is in large sizes. In height, the shrub reaches 3 m, and the same in width. The branches of the plant are sprawling, there is an ornamental bark and foliage that persists throughout all seasons. The life span of this variety is more than 50 years, subject to the rules of care. Shrub blossoms in May, and flowering ends in late June. Blooms turf small flowers in white. Flowers are formed into inflorescences in the form of scutes. Shrub foliage is decorative. On the green leaves there is a wide white border. One leaf can be up to 8 cm long. In autumn, leaves turn yellow, orange or purple. At the same time, the berry-shaped fruits of a blue shade begin to ripen. This variety is distinguished by its rapid growth. In one year, the shrub grows 40 cm tall and wide. Derain eleganthissima is a drought-resistant, frost-resistant and shade-tolerant variety. The bark of the shoots is colored red, especially unusual it looks in the winter. This variety is ideal for group plantings, planting in cities, parks and squares. In addition, the plants are perfectly capable of combining with other shrubs. The ideal application would be the creation of hedges.
- Dören white Siberian variegata. This variety is very similar in appearance to the elengatissima variety. But its dimensions will be much smaller. In height the plant can reach one and a half meters. In diameter, the shrub grows up to 2 m. This variety has rather sprawling branches of rich red color. The leaves are also large in size. Inside they are dark green with a cream border. In autumn, the leaves turn a purple hue, while the border remains light. Thus, the bush throughout the year retains its decorative effect. The plant blooms with small white flowers with a greenish tinge. Flowers emit a very pleasant aroma. Also, the plants form white fruits, which, as they mature, become blue in color. This variety is shade-tolerant, winter-hardy and drought-resistant. It is often used for group plantings, it is perfectly capable of combining with coniferous and deciduous shrubs. The plant is perfect for decorating small gardens and forming hedges.
- Derain white spare. This variety is decorative. On average, its height is 2 m. The shrub is distinguished by its incredible beauty in the autumn due to the leaves of purple color with preservation of the yellow rim. Large leaves. In the summer they are light green with a wide yellow border, and in the fall they get a purple hue, and the color of the border does not change. Cara branches red-brown color. That is why the branches look very impressive against the background of white snowdrifts in winter. The shrub has berry fruits that ripen in September. Fruits of a blue shade. On the shrub, you can also see white flowers that form inflorescences of no more than 5 cm in size. This variety blooms from May to July. This variety is shade-tolerant, drought-resistant and frost-resistant, but in little snow and cold winters shrubs often freeze slightly. The bush is a good soliter, but it is also used for planting in groups. The variety is often used to create hedges.
- Derain Ivory Halo. This variety is also decorative. The height of one bush, as a rule, does not exceed one and a half meters. The shoots are painted in cherry shade. They form a compact crown. On the green leaves is a wide yellow border. In the fall, the leaves turn purple. The shrub blooms with small yellow flowers. The flowers form inflorescences in the form of flaps. In September, the fruits begin to ripen. Fruits are white, spherical. As it ripens, the fruits turn blue. This variety is ideal for planting in groups, as well as as a tapeworm. The plant can be perfectly combined with other deciduous and coniferous shrubs. It is ideal for the formation of hedges and landscaping urban parks.
Landing deren does not require any special efforts and skills. Shrubs are fairly unpretentious plants. These cultures are also not demanding on the composition of the soil. But the most comfortable plant will feel on fertile soil. To this end, it is recommended to select a cultivated soil, which is cleared of various debris and stones. Also successfully shrubs can grow in wastelands and city streets.
It is worth noting that white turf does not particularly well relate to acidic soils, therefore it is recommended to select a neutral soil or a weakly alkaline substrate. But the content of humus in the soil is welcome. Besides, care must be taken to have a good drainage layer. Water should not stagnate in the ground. For planting, it is recommended to select areas with loose soil. In such a substrate, the plant root system will develop much better.
For planting white turf it is necessary to select a place well lit by the sun. But the plant is quite comfortable can feel in partial shade, as many varieties are shade tolerant. But with strong shading, the leaves of the plant will not be as bright as in the sun.
Landing is recommended in early spring, when the soil had not yet thawed. If you purchased a plant sapling that has a closed root system, then it can be planted at the end of the autumn period. But it is recommended to do this for at least one month. before the arrival of stable frosts, the plant has time to adapt to the conditions.
The pit for planting needs to be made slightly larger in diameter than the size of the shrub root system.
- Mature plants can tolerate drought without any problems, while young shrubs need abundant and regular watering. Watering should be carried out with plenty of water so that the entire root system of the plant is saturated with moisture. Insufficient watering can cause the shoots to dry out. Adult specimens should not be watered as abundantly as young ones, only prolonged drought can be an exception. If the leaves began to curl and fall off, this indicates a lack of moisture. If such an onset occurs, the shrub needs to be watered abundantly, wetting not only the soil surface, but the entire root ball. Do not water the plants in the afternoon. The best time for watering is early morning or evening.
- Caring for the spring plant involves pruning, fertilizing and rare watering. As a rule, young plants need feeding. Feeding is necessary to carry out humus or humus. As for adult shrubs, fertilization should occur only after pruning or disease. They also need to be fed if the bush is slow or poorly developed.
- White does not need shelter for winter, as it is a cold-resistant culture. Even if you saw that the shrub was freezing above the snow cover, then with the onset of spring the plant will quickly return to normal.