Among plants with developing creeping stems, Chinese wisteria occupies one of the leading positions. Especially prized are its multifaceted clusters of flowers, exuding a pleasant sweet aroma. Due to the high decorative qualities of the Chinese beauty is actively used for the spectacular decoration of the garden, arches, gazebos, walls of houses. In order for an exotic culture to grow and develop safely, it is necessary to know all the details of planting and caring for it.
The origin and description of the plant
Wisteria (wisteria) belongs to the tree beans of the legume family. In the subtropical culture, numerous large sizes of the brush of fragrant flowers of purple, scarlet, white color are formed. Translated from Greek, “wisteria” means “sweet.” And its second name - wisteria - is an anagram of the name of the famous scientist Caspar Wistar, who was engaged in the detailed description of this plant.
In the genus, wisteria is represented by 9 species of vines growing in countries with a humid subtropical climate — the USA, China, the Crimea, and the southern part of Russia. There are also varieties characterized by a high level of frost resistance, they are actively cultivated in areas with severe winters, but often they die in severe frosts. Chinese gardeners also choose Wisteria, forming room bonsai trees.
Wisteria comes from China, it grows in the wild almost everywhere. It has a large foliage of large size and original form: each leaf plate is 30 cm in length, it is formed by 8-12 small leaves. The length of the shoots in height does not exceed 20 cm, they are able to densely cover garden plantings, walls, arches.
The flowering phase of Chinese wisteria falls on May-June. Luxurious brush inflorescences acquire all shades of purple, but there are also white color. If you provide the plant with a loose and nutritious soil, a sufficient amount of sunlight, you will be able to observe re-flowering in September. The length of the bunch, consisting of fragrant flowers, reaches 40 cm.
Flowering occurs simultaneously in all inflorescences. Based on the species characteristics, the phase of blooming flowers is observed in plants for 3-10 years after planting in a pot.
In most species of Chinese wisteria (wisteria sinensis), the inflorescences are purple or lilac. Most often, the Sapphire Blue wisteria is used to decorate the gardens, which is distinguished by unusually beautiful bluish-purple clusters that begin to bloom in May. But they have one minus - pronounced sugary-sweet aroma. Brush length up to 25 cm. Gray-green leaf mass with the onset of the autumn pore becomes completely yellow. It is noteworthy that the length of the vine can be up to 6 m, it wraps around a support in a clockwise direction.
Amethyst (Amethyst) is an early flowering plant with purple buds, flowering time - the beginning of May. The smell of his most persistent and intense. This variety has proven to be unstable to freezing temperatures, so it is better to shelter it for the winter.
Prolific (Prolific) attracts attention with its bluish-purple, white-washed flowers. The plant begins to bloom in the third year after disembarkation, it is especially good to plant it near various fences, walls, fences.
Wisteria Southern Belle represented by an elegant liana with white and purple tassels, exuding a moderately sweet scent. Active flowering occurs at the end of May, closer to the middle of the summer season, the inflorescences begin to fade. It is preferable to choose sunny meadows for it, effectively Chinese wisteria looks near the verandas, gazebos.
Wisteria Texas White it belongs to dwarf varieties, it does not exceed 2.5 m in height. Abundant and single blooming can be seen already in the second year after planting, numerous snow-white clusters are only 35 cm long. By the end of the bloom, their color changes to cream, but this is not does not impair the attractiveness of an exotic plant.
In the Chinese wisteria Alba (Alba) there is a large number of falling shoots that can grow up to 25 m. Powerful stems of a perennial decorative vine in diameter are 30-35 cm, as they mature, they harden. To effectively arrange a gazebo, wall or other fence Alba, still at an early stage of development shoots are sent in the right direction. As a rule, wisteria flowers are pure white, but there are hybrid forms with lavender and pink inflorescences. The main advantage of Alba is its long flowering phase, and the buds bloom twice a season - at the beginning of the spring period and at the end of the summer period. The downside is its low degree of frost resistance. Based on its features and endurance, wisteria is recommended to grow in the Crimea, Transcarpathia, Rostov region.
Use in landscape design
Chinese Wisteria is quite actively used in decorating various designs, most often it is used to decorate open terraces, gazebos, balconies. Literally in one year the vine is able to braid any frame basis. Beautifully wisteria looks like a standard stem tree. Its undeniable advantage is vertical growth, which significantly saves space on the plot.
It is well planted near various buildings, even the most unsightly - it perfectly disguises them. As an option, the vine is used to decorate the canopy, its wide leafy plates and abundant flowering effectively protect against the scorching rays of the sun.
Wisteria has earned its popularity among landscape designers due to its versatility, rapid growth rate and compatibility with any flower cultures. Especially original compositions are produced in tandem with tulips, daffodils, hyacinths.
Required agrotechnical conditions
To get a luxurious plant, you must adhere to certain rules of planting and caring for Chinese wisteria. Despite the relative unpretentiousness of the deciduous culture, it is necessary to correctly define it in a permanent place and provide it with fertile soil and watering.
Climatic zones of growth
Depending on the place of cultivation, different types of Chinese wisteria are used:
- For the Leningrad region more suitable hybrid variety wisteria - Blue Moon. It is characterized by the ability to form large brushes, which gives an incredibly beautiful and abundant flowering. The plant develops intensively enough, planted it in open ground in June, so that before the onset of cold weather, it could take root and adapt. In order to avoid frosting, the vine must be removed from the supports and laid on the ground, insulated with lutrasil. Similarly, cover the plant in the Rostov region.
- For the Urals and Moscow regionwhere the temperature drops below 20 degrees, it is best to cultivate the culture in a container way. The volume of the "house" for vines in the winter should be from 40 liters, plastic tubs, fonts, garden containers will be suitable here. As soon as the cold comes, before the first snow falls, the plant in the container is placed in a warm place where it is possible to maintain the light for 6 hours. Irrigation is sufficient to carry out 1 time in 7 days. Feeding procedures are excluded completely. In March, the vine is transferred to a bright room and moistened already 2-3 times a week. Spraying with a solution of growth stimulant has a beneficial effect on it.
- For Siberia It is very problematic to grow Chinese wisteria, because even a cold-resistant variety of Blue Moon - and that sometimes does not withstand harsh climatic conditions. But not only this liana needs a mild and warm climate, it also requires a long vegetative period, and the weather in Siberia prevents all this. In general, with proper agrotechnology and careful care, you can grow a wisteria, but you should not wait for flowering.
- For Belarus and Ukrainewhere the warm climate fully complies with the requirements for the successful cultivation of wisteria, varieties can be chosen virtually any. In Belarus, the wisteria is planted with seedlings in April-May. The period of budding occurs in the spring months - flowering in late June. It is recommended to additionally cover before wintering.
Location and lighting
The ornamental plant belongs to very warm and light-loving cultures, therefore initially in the garden it is necessary to choose a well-lit glade where the sun shines at least 6 hours. In addition, the site should be protected from winds through, the best option - planting vines on the south side of the structure. Also here it is necessary to take into account the length of the root, which grows up to 2 m. It is not necessary to plant the wisteria in a temporary place;
Wisteria grows on almost any soil, but it is recommended to plan planting in moderately fertile, light and wet soil. The main thing is that the substrate has sufficient moisture and air throughput - excessive moisture only provokes the appearance of root rot. Problems with exotic plants will be, if the landing is made on calcareous soil. Clear signs of soreness are the lightened areas on the surface of the leaf plates - chlorosis. A surplus of nitrogen often suspends budding, which provokes the absence of flowering.
To prepare a suitable soil substrate for wisteria, you will need 3 parts of leafy ground, 1 part of humus and 1 part of sand. This composition is quite suitable for the effective rooting of seedlings and their growth.
Terms and technology of landing
It is better to plan the planting of perennials for spring, when the threat of recurrent frosts is over. Most varieties are cold resistant, they are able to tolerate even 20 degrees of frost normally, but they should not be tested, especially in the early years of development. It is recommended to acquire grafted specimens of medium size with a closed root system. If you buy the usual options, then wait for timely flowering should not be, it will be a few years later, in addition, the number of inflorescences will be much less. The seller needs to know the age of the plant. Adult lianas will give color faster (for 3 years), considering that certain species bloom only for 8-9 years of life.
Preparing a landing site
The best option for Wisteria is an open sunny area, it’s good if the place for planting the plant is on a hill:
- The allotted area is first enriched with mineral composition, where on 1 square. m use 20-30 g of fertilizer.
- They dig at the shovels bayonet.
- Dig a hole the size of 50.
- At the bottom lay a drainage layer of expanded clay, broken brick.
- Sprinkle with soil and moisten.
Selection and preparation of planting material
For planting in the southern regions, all varieties of deciduous lianas are suitable, and for cold ones - Chinese and blooming wisteria, Blue Moon would be the best option. Purchase of seedlings is recommended to make in specialized outlets. The age of planting material should be from 2 years old, such plants have already passed the period of adaptation and are quite strong.
The main thing is to carefully examine the vine for obvious mechanical damage, signs of disease. On healthy specimens will never be lost turgor shoots, dry foliage.
The soil in the tank should be clean and well maintained.
Watering and feeding
In order not to provoke the occurrence of trouble, it is necessary to moisturize and feed the wisteria as needed. You should not be zealous here - excessive moisture leads to rotting of the roots. At the budding stage, watering is enhanced and additionally sprayed. Since September, irrigation is reduced to a minimum.
During the season, the bushes are fertilized once with a chalk solution (100 g per 10 liters of water). Make mineral composition and organic matter (1 cow manure and 20 parts of water) in the period of budding and flowering is alternately.
Shorten shoots and remove excess ones are desirable only when the wisteria is 2-3 years old. The procedure is done in the summer, cutting off 3-4 buds. This technique allows you to increase the profusion of flowering vines. In the spring, the event is done in order to free the plant from frost-damaged, dried and thin shoots.
Diseases and pests
With chlorosis, the wisteria is rescued by feeding with iron salts, bringing it under the root. When aphids appear, the bushes should be treated with insecticides, and from clover and spider mites - acaricides. Positively recommended Fitofir against malicious insects.
Reproduction by layering does not cause any particular difficulties even for novice gardeners. In the spring, a one-year shoot is taken, an oblique cut is made in the middle and placed in the clay-sod mixture with the treated part. After that, they fix and drop by drop, leaving only the tip free. The following year, the layers are separated from the parent bush.
Cutting well plan in March-April. Billets 25 cm long are placed in the substrate (3 parts of turf, 1 part of peat, sand and humus) for rooting.
Bookmark planting do in the late days of November. The action algorithm includes:
- Seeds are placed in a container with suitable soil.
- Top sprinkled with a layer of soil.
- Produce irrigation from the spray with warm water.
- Cover the vessel with glass and transfer to a warm room.
Growing at home
Room wisteria is grown in a container way, it is formed in the form of a tree. In the open air, it is carried out no earlier than June. It is undesirable to use an oversized vessel, otherwise there will be no color. In winter, the temperature is needed in the range of 6-8 degrees. Thermophilic vine grows well and develops on the window sill of the south window. The soil in the bitter must be slightly moist. Fertilizer for indoor flowers contribute to the stage of budding and blooming flowers.
Possible difficulties and common mistakes
Often there are problems with flowering. If not, it is worth analyzing the conditions of detention. Among the reasons are:
- improper feeding procedures (nitrogen overload),
- cropping done in the wrong way.
Blanching leaves - chlorosis, appears when grown in acidic soil. In this case, iron salts will be useful. If the wisteria began to wither, then the fault is poor drainage. Regular loosening of the soil eliminates oxygen starvation of the roots.
Chinese Wisteria is an exotic wonder with luxurious drooping inflorescences. The plant is unpretentious in care, it is enough to follow the simple rules of agricultural technology.
Wisteria is a heat-loving plant, the optimum temperature for which is 18 degrees. therefore it is possible to grow wisteria in open ground only in regions with mild winters. In colder areas, the flower can be grown in a tub. In the fall, the plant is placed in a room where the temperature will be within 10 degrees. In the summer they take it out to the open air again.
The flower does not like excessive wateringThis can lead to the discharge of leaves and buds. If spring dry wisteria is watered abundantly, from the beginning of flowering and until the fall, watering is reduced so that the soil is wet. In hot weather it is better to carry out spraying. In the fall, watering is practically stopped.
Wisteria is a photophilous plant. Ideal for the location of the flower southern windows or a glassed-in balcony.
The flower loves fertile and well permeable soil, so the substrate is well loosened before planting. The optimal composition of soil for wisteria: humus, sand, peat, clay and sod land in the ratio of 1: 1: 1: 3. This mixture contains many nutrients that promote active growth and flowering. The plant does not tolerate calcareous and moist soil, so it is desirable that there is a drain on the water. In this case, chlorosis can develop - the leaves lose their color and brighten.
Pruning must be done to stimulate abundant flowering. First pruning done in the summer immediately after wisteria had flowered. All side shoots are shortened by a third.
The second pruning is carried out after the plant has discarded leaves in the late fall. All shoots are shortened so that up to 5 buds are left on them. Of them spring flowers are formed.
You can grow a stem tree. To do this, choose one escape, and the rest are removed. When the shoot reaches a certain height, it is cut, allowing the crown to form in its upper part.
During the period of bud formation and flowering, the plant is fed with liquid fertilizer once a week. It is advisable to alternate between mineral and organic supplements.
For growing wisteria at home, it is better to choose a clay pot. If the plant requires a transplant, the capacity is chosen to be 2 cm larger circumference than the previous one. Pot before planting, it is desirable to wash and scald with boiling water.
Replanting a young plant is recommended every year in July, an adult - once every three years.
- Pre-flower plentifully watered.
- The holes in the bottom of the pot are filled with drainage, then sand is poured, and then filled with earth by about two centimeters.
- The plant is carefully removed from the previous pot, without touching the root system.
- Корни освобождают от предыдущего субстрата и растение помещается в слой почвы нового горшка.
- Пространство между стенками заполняется влажной почвой.
- По окончании посадки грунт поливают и помещают цветок в темное место. Когда глициния окрепнет, ее возвращают на прежнее место.
This method is the most favorable.
- For this fit annual shoots. In the middle of such a shoot, make an oblique incision, bend it to the ground and place the notch on the pot with clay-soddy soil.
- Fix the outlet in this position and drop by drop, leaving the top.
- It will be possible to separate the rooted cuttings only next spring. During this time, the root system will be formed and it will be easy to separate the seedling.
Planting seeds in late November or early December.
- Sowing is performed on the soil surface and sprayed with a spray bottle, and then covered with a film.
- The pot is placed in a warm place, keeping the soil in a slightly damp state. Seed shoots can be observed after 4 weeks.
- When the seedlings are strong and they have a couple of leaves, they are transferred to separate containers along with a clod of earth.
- After that, pour a weak solution of potassium permanganate.
In late autumn, the vine is cut from the bush and divided into cuttings., bind and store in a wet substrate in a cold basement.
- For cuttings choose one-year mature shoots 25 centimeters long.
- They are rooted in early spring in the soil, which consists of turf land, peat, humus and sand in the ratio 3: 1: 1: 1.
- At the end of the summer, cuttings that are rooted can be planted.
Propagation by vaccination is carried out in December. They do it on the roots, since the wood of wisteria is loose and the graft will not work. Vaccination - getting a new variety of their own.
To carry out vaccinations, you must follow the following sequence:
- From the seeds, seedlings of non-varietal wisteria are grown and transplanted into the ground.
- In late autumn, seedlings are dug out and separated from the roots of the stem.
- The roots are placed in pots with sand and put in a dark and cool place.
- In late December, seedlings are transferred to heat. Two weeks later, proceed to vaccination.
- Wisteria cuttings on which the vaccination will be made should be at least 6 cm in length and have a pair of mature buds. Above the lower bud is cut in 3 cm, and the same cut should be on the roots of seedlings. They are combined with adhesive tape, placed in the ground to the site of vaccination and covered with foil.
Within a month, shoots from axillary buds appear. This indicates a successful vaccination. In the spring the plant can be transplanted into a pot or on the street.
Nuances of planting and care in the garden
- Wisteria is a light-loving plant and must be at least 6 hours in sunlight. The best place to land is the south side of the house. For shoots should pick up a solid support.
- Shoots must be tied up. If this is not done, they will be woven around the support and, if removed for wintering, the shoots can be damaged.
- Before planting, they make a pit and fill it with the same mixture of soil as for planting in flowerpots.
- Once a season it is necessary to water the plant with chalk water at the rate of 100 g of chalk in a bucket of water.
- Young seedlings need shelter for the winter. They are untied from the support, laid on the ground and the shoots are covered with agrofibre or dry leaves, and the root part is covered with earth. The older the plant, the less it needs shelter.
Breeding methods are the same as when growing Chinese wisteria at home.
Flowering and appearance on the photo
Flowering wisteria Chinese begins at the age of 3 years from April and continues throughout the summer. Buds open simultaneously. The plant is light purple, rarely white flowers. When the flowers begin to fade, the inflorescences are removed.
In these photos, wisteria during flowering is especially good:
Pests and diseases
Wisteria is resistant to pests and their attack is rarely thrown. It may be aphid or clover mite. In the first case, insecticides will help, in the second - acaricides. If the plant grows in alkaline soil, it may appear chlorosis, from which the leaves will turn yellow. Will help root feeding iron salts.
White tulips, purple hyacinths and yellow daffodils blend beautifully with wisteria in the garden. These flowers will highlight the beauty of Chinese beauty. If the climate does not allow to grow a plant in the open ground, do not despair. You can grow it in the form of a standard tree.
Varieties and types
Wisteria Chinese view reaching 20 meters. His foliage is at first covered with cannon, but over time it loses it. There are two varieties with regular and double flowers.
Wisteria blooming or Japanese this species is half shorter than its Chinese relative, but it has larger leaves, as well as a large number of them on lianas. In addition, the size of Japanese wisteria inflorescence is also larger.
Separately remember Wisteria Blue Moonwhich is the most frost-resistant grade and can withstand temperatures up to -30 ° C.
Wisteria care and growing
Caring for any plant begins with its planting. If you got the seeds of wisteria and want to grow, then remember that the resulting individuals may not bloom at all.
Wisteria seeds need to be sown at the end of autumn or at the beginning of winter. To do this, prepare the soil from the leaf ground, turf and sand (4: 1: 1). The seeds are put on top of the substrate and put some sand on top. Next, the material is moistened and covered with a transparent film.
Before germination, the sowing container should be stored in the dark, at a temperature of at least 20 ° C. Moisturize the ground all the time to keep it dry.
Approximately in 20-30 days shoots will appear, and in another 15 days it will be possible to place them in a lighted place, but so that the direct rays do not reach the pot.
With the appearance of two true leaves of the flowers, they should be dived into separate pots, together with the substrate on the rhizome, and sprinkle with slightly diluted manganese.
After a dive, the plants begin to harden daily for two to three hours a day. For example, you can place them in a colder room or keep near the window, but make sure that the plant does not slip through.
Wisteria planting and care in the open field
To plant a flower in the soil is necessary when the threat of frost disappears. Although wisteria can well withstand the cold, but still young individuals are quite sensitive.
Land for planting should be well lit half of the day, it should also be protected from the sharp wind. Wisteria needs nutritious soil, moreover with good drainage and to be slightly alkaline.
The size of the hole for the plant should be 50 cm in depth, length and width. Before planting in the substrate, while digging, make mineral dressing.
Do not worry if the first time wisteria will look weak or will not develop - this is quite normal, since the first few years after planting it rarely forms strong shoots and does not bloom.
In spring and summer, wisteria needs to be watered. Try to keep the earth always damp, but not wet. In the absence of rain, watering is enhanced, but remember that with stagnant moisture, the roots can rot.
Fertilizers for wisteria
To enhance flowering, it is necessary during the period of increasing the green mass once for 7 days to make fertilizer, alternating between mineral and organic means. It also has a good effect on the plant by watering with chalk water once a season.
Sluggish inflorescences are removed so that they do not take the forces from the plant. You also need to cut off the withered shoots, and send the living to the right place and tie to supports.
Before the arrival of cold weather, the plant spuds up the rosette, lay the lianas on the ground, next to the base of the wisteria and cover them with foliage, and then warm them with lutrasil.
If you are sure that the winter will be snowy, then there is no need for all these preparations, but in the absence of snow the plant is likely to die.
Wisteria Trimming Scheme
To wait for flowering wisteria, you need to be patient, because the Chinese variety begins to bloom only in the third year after planting, and the Japanese at the tenth!
For abundant flowering, as well as for a more attractive look, you need to prune the plant.
To form a stem wisteria, leave only the main shoot. If you have a climbing form, then part of the side stems also need to be cut, otherwise they will take too much power.
In the spring you need to prune the young stems that cover the leaves of inflorescences. In addition, a flower can appear on a young stem only if it is cut to 30 cm.
In the summer, the lateral stems are shortened by 30 cm, and this is at the end of summer by another 15. This is done to improve the shape of the plant. But try not to cut the shoots too hard, otherwise the wisteria may bloom badly.
Wisteria reproduction by layering
How to grow wisteria from seed was mentioned at the beginning of the last section. Since this method has a significant drawback, it is better to resort to reproduction by layering.
With the arrival of spring, you need to take an annual stalk, incise it in the middle and put it on a container with clay-sod soil. The suspension is fixed and instilled, leaving only the top of the stem outside.
It will be possible to plant a young plant from a parent next year.
Wisteria reproduction by cuttings
To propagate wisteria by cutting, at the end of autumn it is necessary to cut off the vine and divide it into pieces. Cuttings together put in damp soil and put the cellar. In the spring they are thrown into a “school” or immediately to the site under the banks.
Although grafting does seem to be an easy way to reproduce, it has a significant disadvantage - low survival rate, which is often below 50%.
When growing you must ensure the following factors for wisteria:
- Bright sun. For abundant flowering, wisteria must be at least half a day in the sun.
- Sturdy supports, which will wreathe strongly growing over time, wisteria.
- Moderate watering from spring to late summer - the soil should be kept slightly wet. Excess water tolerates poorly.
- Light nutritious soil.
- Top dressing with liquid fertilizer once a week during budding.
- Good shelter in winter, especially in central Russia. There are varieties that can withstand -20 ° C, but no more.
- Pruning at least 2 times for more abundant flowering. The first - at the end of flowering, while shortening all side shoots by two-thirds. The second - after leaf fall. Pruned all lateral branches, leaving only 3-5 buds.
If your climate does not allow you to grow wisteria in the open field - do not despair. Plant it in a flower pot in the form of a standard tree. In the fall, it will need to be brought into a room with a temperature of about +8. +10 ° C and sparingly water. In the spring of young lateral shoots pruned to 2-3 good buds - so form the crown. In the summer, they take it out to the open air again and often water it.
- Chinese wisteria (Wisteria sinensis) has spectacular light purple, less often white flowers. It is able to grow up to 15-20 m. The foliage is thick, the buds of the inflorescences are 30 cm long. It blooms almost all summer. Forms fruits - beans with a length of up to 15 cm. It is widely distributed in the south of Russia and, accordingly, is very thermophilic. If the vine is systematically cut, it can be grown in a tree-shaped stem.
Wisteria Chinese. Photo: Lyudmila Uleyskaya
About the wisteria Chinese tells article queen of vines - wisteria.
- Flowering or multi-flowered wisteria (Wisteria floribunda) with purple-blue flowers. It reaches 8-10 m. The wrist of this wisteria is longer than the previous one - 50 cm. And it blooms later in 2-3 weeks. It is more frost-resistant (up to -23 ° C) than Chinese wisteria.
- Beautiful wisteria (Wisteria venusta) with double white and purple flowers. It can grow up to 10 m. The length of the inflorescences is about 20 cm. Flowering continues from May to June. Fruits - beans are 20 cm in size.
- Shrub wisteria (Wisteria frutescens) has smaller blue-violet inflorescences than Wisteria venusta. Reaches 12 m in height. Since ancient times, growing in the Crimea. Can be grown in a container.
- Japanese Wisteria (Wisteria japonica) has white flowers. Less hardy and beautiful than other species. It grows on the Black Sea coast of the Caucasus.
If you decide to have wisteria in your garden and you have all the conditions for this, do not forget to plant along with it, for example, white tulips, dark purple hyacinths and yellow daffodils. All these flowers are perfectly combined with wisteria.
By the way, if you want to truly appreciate the beauty of this plant, be sure to visit the garden of wisteria, which is located in Japan, Ashikaga, the island of Honshu. This is truly an unforgettable sight.
Varieties and varieties
The wisteria tree vine has the second name “Wisteria”. Subtropics are considered to be natural habitats, however, cultivated species are able to grow in almost any climate, and some varieties bred by American biologists withstand strong winter frosts without shelter and retain the ability to bloom.
Total wisteria has 9 species, but most often you can find several of them:
- Wisteria Chinese It is a liana up to 20 m in height with tassels of a light lilac shade up to 30 cm long. Some varieties may have flowers of terry-like and white color.
When planting wisteria, it is necessary to take into account that the plant is a perennial, and the place for it must be chosen for many years. If you want to achieve maximum flowering, then you should choose a site where the vine will be in the sun for at least half a day. In addition to the sun, care must be taken to ensure that the place is sufficiently protected from the wind, and the soil is nutritious and well drained. Wisteria gives preference to slightly alkaline soils.
Wisteria is best planted in the spring after the last frosts have passed. Despite the fact that most of the wisteria varieties are frost-resistant, young plants should not be put at risk once again.
Most often, wisteria is grown from seedlings. Before planting, the soil is dug up with mineral fertilizer, after which holes are dug 50 cm deep into which young plants are placed.
If you plant a wisteria from seed, the vine will not begin to bloom soon. In the best case in 5 years, but very often only by the year 10.
Wisteria care begins with the garter of young shoots. Since the vine grows long and has high windage, the support must be durable and able to withstand wind loads.
Council It is best to tie up the wisteria to the support, because independent weaving around the support can lead to the fact that in the fall it will be very difficult to remove the vine for winter preparation.
The soil should not be calcareous, otherwise the wisteria leaves will brighten and lose their decorative effect.
Watering. Too wet soil can cause the plant to shed its leaves and buds. Therefore, it is necessary to observe moderation in watering from the beginning of flowering until the end of summer. In the summer, you can conduct additional spraying, so as not to once again fill the roots with water. In September, watering should be kept to a minimum and let the plant prepare for winter.
Crop. A very important condition for the flowering of a wisteria is timely and correctly carried out pruning. Wisteria flowers develop on last year's and even earlier lianas. Sometimes on the young shoots of this year. Therefore, for the correct formation of color buds at the beginning of summer or at the end of May (depending on the flowering season of wisteria), the shoots of last year are shortened, leaving no more than 30 cm.
Autumn pruned shoots of the new season, cutting off 4 buds. After that, in early spring, during the garter of the vines to the support, last year's shoots are reduced by 2 more buds. By following these simple pruning rules you will achieve the most decorative and lush flowering that is so appreciated in wisteria.
Preparing for the winter. Many varieties of wisteria are preferably covered for the winter, especially in the northern regions. The most vulnerable are young shoots. In the autumn they are recommended to untie from the support and lay on the ground. The basal part is added dropwise with a thick layer of earth, and the shoots are covered with spruce leaves, a layer of leaves or a special covering material. The older the plant becomes, the higher its frost resistance, respectively, the less it needs in winter shelter.
Fertilizer and fertilizing wisteria
From the photo with blooming wisteria can not take your eyes off. To achieve the same flowering on your vine, you should pay a little attention to feeding. During active life it is recommended to fertilize wisteria at least once a week, while liquid mineral fertilizers are best alternated with organic fertilizers (for example, with mullein infusion diluted with water in the ratio of 1:20). One-time top dressing in the summer can make a chalk solution. To do this, dilute 100 g of chalk in a bucket of warm water and pour the plant under the root.
Council Experienced gardeners remind that wisteria refers to leguminous plants, therefore it is necessary to be careful with nitrogen-containing fertilizers.
Wisteria in the garden
The flowering of wisteria is an unforgettable whirl of colors, in which the long brushes of many shades - blue, red, white - rush down the rampant waterfall, exuding a sweet aroma. In Japan, a walk in the garden with blooming wisterias is equated with a walk in paradise.
Very often in landscape design wisteria is used as a vertical gardening area. Despite the fact that the vine occupies a minimum of space, its decorativeness is exceptional. With its help decorate unsightly walls, fences and any other buildings and technical facilities that can spoil the overall appearance. This climber will help to zone areas, playing the role of a screen and creating natural shelters from the sun and wind. Для создания оригинального ансамбля попробуйте высадить у основания глицинии гиацинты и нарциссы. Неплохо будут смотреться на фоне вистерии рябчики, белые тюльпаны или волчеягодник. Многочисленные фото подскажут, как лучше украсить свой сад с помощью этой прекрасной лианы.
Unpretentious care, wisteria is able to please the eye of any picky gardener.
- Cherry Variety Vocation. Description and colorful photo of ripe harvest
- Apple tree garden: planting and pruning tree seedlings in spring
- The apricot called favorite is a favorite of gardeners of the middle lane
- Yellow acacia: description, useful properties and use in traditional medicine
I did not see anything more beautiful in my life. When I first saw the flowering of this plant, it froze in front of him. This year I wanted to dissolve the cuttings, but a “knowledgeable” friend convinced that it was necessary to propagate by seed. I read the article and now regret that I did not stumble upon it earlier ..
I wrote out two rooted cuttings from the Nikitsky Botanical Garden 3 years ago. Last year, one of them appeared several inflorescences. This year there was abundant bloom on the same vine. Why does not bloom 2 wisteria? Both sizes are exactly the same. I live in the northern Crimea. Maybe someone knows?
I purchased two Blue Moon seedlings in the spring (annual, from the nursery, by mail). One landed in the ground, the second left in the pot. The first one sits in the ground green, but does not grow (in the spring she covered with spandbond, opened it in the summer) .. At first we watered the rain .. then she kept the soil moist. The second leaves lowered .. turned yellow .. The other day, transplanted into a larger pot .. Leaves picked up .. Two yellow - cut off. I hope it will grow further .. Feeding up iron (read the article) .. What's next?
I bought spring wisteria seeds (Wisteria) by mail from China .. Seated .. Those on the street .. died .. On the balcony several plants grew .. I watch .. I water .. Casting does not look like wisteria Blue Moon (bought saplings in Belarus ). In the morning, the leaves are straightened, closed in the evening .. What to do next? I do not know .. Keep warm in the winter? There is no cellar (from the article). Replant in a larger pot? When? now or spring .. Questions, solid questions .. but I really want to have this beautiful liana outside the city ..
I bought two plants 3 years ago under the name wisteria. confused by the fact that the leaves only three pieces. maybe it's something else? not yet bloomed
help solve the problem
Can there be three lipistochka on wisteria, instead of those on the photo here?
Varieties of vines
Another name is wisteria. This is the kind of deciduous vine that goes into legume family. The plant grows in nature in the Caucasus, in Belarus, East Asia, Crimea and America. Wisteria is beautifully grown in the open field in the south of Ukraine and in Russia, because there are quite warm winters and hot summer.
Previously, residents of the northern regions closed the plant very tightly with the onset of frost, but it froze and died. Today this issue is resolved. Breeders brought a variety of vines that are resistant to frost, it was called the "Blue Moon". This variety keeps the temperature to minus 40 degrees, now the liana is bred in central Russia, in the Leningrad region, in the Urals and in Siberia.
Liana counts about nine varieties. The most common are:
- Wisteria Chinese Blue Sapphire. The plant can be up to 20 m high, blooms throughout the summer period, inflorescences of pale lilac color, brush size of 30 centimeters.
- Japanese wisteria. A small plant about nine meters in length, but differs from other varieties with larger leaves and buds.
- Beautiful wisteria. Liana grows up to 10 m. It blooms in early summer, inflorescences of white or blue hue.
Other plant varieties are less common and are rarely used for gardening summer cottages.
Planting a plant
When planting a liana it is necessary to take into account that it is a perennial, therefore the place for it must be chosen for a long time. For maximum flowering suitable site, which is half the day lit by the sun. In addition to sunlight, you need to think about the site was protected from the wind, and the soil was nutritious and well drained. Liana grows best on weakly alkaline earth.
Planting of seedlings is carried out in the spring after the frosts end. Despite the fact that many varieties of wisteria are resistant to frost, it is not necessary to expose the seedlings to excess risk.
Before planting, the soil is dug up along with fertilizers, then pits are half a meter deep, in which seedlings are planted.
If you plant wisteria from the seed, then flowering can be obtained after 5−10 years.
Wisteria, care and cultivation in the middle lane begin with tying up young shoots. Due to the fact that the wisteria grows long enough and has significant windage, the support for it must be strong, able to withstand wind gusts.
It is better to tie a liana to a support, since independent weaving around a support can lead to the fact that in the autumn period it will be quite difficult to remove the plant for winter preparation.
The soil should not be calcareous, otherwise the foliage of the plant will brighten and lose its decorative effect. Care should be as follows:
- Watering plants. Very wet soil can cause the vine to throw off the leaves and buds. Watering should be moderate from the beginning of flowering until the end of summer. In summertime, you can additionally spray wisteria, so as not to overdo the rhizome. Since the beginning of autumn, watering should be minimal, it is necessary for the wisteria to prepare for the winter period.
- Wood trimming. The main condition for elegant flowering is correctly performed pruning. Wisteria inflorescences develop on adult lianas. Less often, flowers may occur on young shoots. For the formation of buds of inflorescences in June or at the end of spring, last year's shoots are cut, leaving about 30 centimeters. In the fall, the young shoots are cut to 4 buds. After that, in the spring, while tying up the plant to the support, the processes of the last year are cut into two buds.
- Preparing the plant for winter. Many varieties of wisteria are best closed for the winter period, particularly in the northern regions. The most vulnerable are the young shoots. In the autumn, they are untied from the support and laid neatly on the ground.
Bottom part of the plant is instilled with a large layer of earth, and the processes are closed with spruce branches, a layer of foliage or a certain covering material. The more years of wisteria, the more resistant it is to frost, so less need for shelter for the winter.
Wisteria to grow and care for it is quite simple, if you follow these simple rules.
There are many techniques for breeding this beautiful plant. The easiest method of breeding vines is grafting. At the end of autumn, branches are cut from a tree, form cuttings, tie them together and hide them in a cool place, having buried them in damp earth. In the spring, the vine is taken out and planted under plastic bottles. Allowed to plant in a cold greenhouse, and in open ground. About half of the planted plants will take root.
In December, you can try to dissolve wisteria inoculation. They make it only on the rhizome, since the wood of the plant is soft enough, and it will not work to inoculate.
Rooting of shoots is considered a very productive way of breeding. In the fall, when the foliage has subsided, the processes from the bottom are scarring and inclined to the soil, then covered with earth so that only the tops are visible. The shoots are ringing from the side of the adult bush in the spring when buds appear. In the autumn, you need to check how the rhizomes of the processes have grown. If they have grown a little, the processes do not touch another year. If the roots are sprouting decently, the shoots are dug out and planted in a permanent place of growth.
Also used this breeding method, as winter cutting. This method is carried out in February. The prepared process must be split lengthwise and formed from the resulting halves of the cuttings. The length of one process must be at least 5 centimeters, and in the middle - the kidney. Put them in containers, keeping the distance between them, and sprinkle sand over the soil. Tanks are kept in the greenhouse until rooting.
The method of cultivation of wisteria, which gives absolute survival, is the reproduction of new shoots. To form roots in a short time, the bottom of the shoots must be treated with synthetic phytohormones, as prescribed in the instructions. After staying processes in this composition for 12 hours, they are washed and planted in a greenhouse with crumbly soil, which is prepared from equal parts of sand, soil and peat.
Allowed to fit in containers that must be covered with glass and stored in a small penumbra. Watering once a day, maintaining the required soil moisture. As soon as the shoots hatch, you need to enter a moderate watering, every three days. In the autumn period, the boxes are exposed to the sun or transferred to partial shade.
Gardeners do not advise planting seeds by seeds, as it is possible not to get flowering or it may appear many years later.
At the same time, the decorative characteristics of the plant may not be preserved. But it happens that the seedlings give unexpected results, and young plants overshadow the adult vine by their decorative characteristics.
Seeds are sown in a greenhouse in the middle of the winter season. Landing directly in open ground is best done in early spring. Seeds grow long. But this method of breeding has its advantages: vines grown from seed are adapted to the surprises of nature and are most resistant to frost.
Wisteria planting and maintenance does not require significant time and effort, so any amateur gardener will be able to do this.
Pests and diseases
Liana is very resistant to disease, but at times it can be attacked by aphids, which is easy enough to fix with insecticide. Some gardeners say they have observed on the processes of the clover mite, which is simply eliminated with acaricides.
Chlorosis can be distinguished from diseases. It occurs when the plant is planted on alkaline soil. The disease is determined by the yellow and falling leaves. For treatment, it is enough to add fertilizing with iron salts.
Wisteria or in other words wisteria - this leguminous tree plant. This plant is referred to as liana-like and has amazingly beautiful, vivid-shaped flowers of lilac, pink or white.
The genus of wisteria contains more than 9 varieties of vines. All of them are common in countries where a subtropical climate prevails. But there are other varieties of wisteria, which are resistant to lower temperatures.
They are successfully grown in conditions of the middle belt and perfectly tolerate temperature extremes. True, after a harsh winter beauty will no longer bloom. She just freezes. But you can often find wisteria on the windowsills of apartments or offices in the form of a small tree - bonsai.
Chinese Wisteria as seen by its name grows in China. In the wild form is found in this country almost everywhere. The plant has rather dense foliage. Each leaf of a plant can grow up to 30 cm, while the shoots of wisteria grow so large and long that they can completely cover tree trunks, house walls and other fences.
Wisteria blooms from May to July, covered with amazingly beautiful tassels of all shades of purple. White flowers are extremely rare, but it is also possible. If the soil is ideal for the plant, and there is enough sunlight, the plant will bloom again in September. Her delicate flowers are clustered, rather long and beautiful. In this case, they bloom most often at once, creating an amazingly beautiful picture. But the plant begins to bloom only three years after planting.
The most common varieties
Chinese wisteria has many varieties, but most of them have purple or lilac flowers. But there are varieties whose flowers are white.
But more common such varieties:
- Blue sapphire - surprisingly beautiful vine, which has a purple-blue inflorescences. Most often the plant blooms in May, but it is possible and late flowering - in the middle of summer. Brush inflorescences have a sweet, even somewhat cloying aroma, and delicate flowers have a gentle purple hue. The brushes grow up to 25 cm. The height of the vine grows to 6 meters and at the same time it twists along a support in a spiral. The annual growth of the plant is up to 2 meters.
- Amethyst. This kind of wisteria begins to bloom very early. The long inflorescences of the purple plant delight the eye of the gardener and neighbors from mid-May until the end of summer. When compared with other varieties, the aroma of this flower is stronger and more intense. Winter variety, this variety is not different, and therefore requires careful shelter for the winter.
- Prolific - It is a beautiful plant, blooming with delicate blue flowers. Bloom this variety of wisteria begins in the third year after planting. Growth it gives a very good - 2 meters per year. If you put it at the support, then in a few years you will have a beautiful decoration of the wall or arch into the courtyard. The plant grows beautifully and quickly and grows in moist and loose soil.
- Southern belle - this liana has delicate flowers of white-purple color and moderate intensity fragrance. The peak of the intensity of flowering is in the middle of May, and by the end of the summer the flowers are completely showered. The plant prefers a sunny place with moist soil. Perfectly decorates arbors and gardens.
- Texas white - refers to the dwarf varieties of wisteria and does not grow more than 2.5 meters in height. It begins to bloom in the second year after planting and produces a lot of white flower clusters. Prefers plant high sunny places with moderately wet soil. It copes with the shelter of trees, arbors.
Wisteria planting rules
If conditions allow, then grow flower wisteria under the power of every gardener. If you follow the rules of planting, it feels great in urban environments, and with proper care, it tolerates wintering.
For growing vines you need to find a sunny place, but in the partial shade it feels great. But, choosing a place for planting, it should be remembered that the plant is very light-requiring, and therefore it is worth choosing such a site, the sun above which lasts at least 6 hours.
But it is necessary to protect it from wind and cold, so the best option would be to plant wisteria on the south side of the house.
Picking up landing spot It is necessary to take into account the fact that wisteria is a perennial plant. Therefore, further transplantation may cause some difficulties. Its root system goes into the soil for at least a couple of meters. Therefore, it should immediately be planted in a permanent place.
Soil for wisteria
The flower has no particular preferences in the soil, but it is still worth planting it in moderately fertile, light and moist soil. Soil should pass air and not retain water.
Too much lime in the soil can cause a quick death of the flower. He begins to get chlorosis, which is determined by the strong clarification of the leaves. Too nitrogenous soil also not needed gChinese Blue Sapphire Licinia therefore fertilizer should be applied as rarely as possible, otherwise it will not bloom.
In order to Wisteria Chinese Blue Sapphire or any other quickly got accustomed should prepare the ground yourself and put it in a hole. To do this, you will need three parts of turf soil, one part of sand and the same amount of peat. All this is thoroughly mixed and poured into the pit for planting. The plant will take root quickly and it has enough nutrients in this soil.
Wisteria: planting and care in the open field
Growing wisteria in the open field can hardly be called a time consuming procedure. It is quite unpretentious and easily tolerates drought. Therefore, you should simply follow the rules of agricultural engineering and vine will please you with active growth and flowering:
- water and feed the vine,
- cut off
- cover for the winter.
Water and pokarmlivat the plant should be as needed. Watering should be carried out so that the soil was a little wet all the time. During the formation of buds, it is recommended to further strengthen the watering and spraying of the bushes. Otherwise, the buds will fall off and the vine will not bloom. But you should still prefer spraying the plants, because frequent watering leads to stagnation of water in the roots and their rotting. From September, watering should be reduced to a minimum, because the plant is preparing for winter.
In order for the plant to grow well and bloom profusely, it should be fed with fertilizers. Optimal if alternate mineral fertilizers with liquid organic. Fertilizer is recommended during the growing season.
In order for the soil not to be washed out and always saturated with useful substances, it is recommended to water it with seasonal water every season.
After withering of the inflorescences, they should be cut off. And young twigs are recommended to be tied, changing the direction of their growth. Pruning wisteria is also needed in order for the plant to start blooming better and to form its crown. Most often, for these purposes, young shoots and twigs are cut, which prevent flowering clusters from growing and developing. Flowers can only develop on last year's or even older branches, and therefore spring pruning does not affect the splendor of the crown. Pruning is needed on a mandatory basis otherwise the next year flowering can not wait.
When growing lianas in mid-latitudes and winters are expected to be cold, all young shoots are recommended to be tied, so that later they are easier to cover. Но в целом китайская глициния прекрасно переносит небольшое понижение температуры и прекрасно себя чувствует в условиях до минус 20 градусов.
Выращивание глицинии в открытом грунте и в горшках совершенно не отличается. Но при этом стоит запомнить правило, что на зиму рекомендуется переносить горшки с растением в место с влажностью не менее 70%.
Watering indoors occurs only as the topsoil dries. And pruning is done in spring in order to form a crown. After that, the vine can be taken out into the street.
Wisteria shelter for the winter should be carried out in the same way as in bushy roses. To do this, first carefully pile up the root area. From the support of the vine is separated and secured on a specially prepared shield. After that, the branches should be closed with dry leaves. If the winter has fallen with a small amount of snow, then the plant should be additionally covered with agrotex.
Reproduction of wisteria
Most often for breeding wisteria use:
But the seed method is suitable only for experienced gardeners, because the plant of them spit completely unwillingly. Yes, and they require great care. First, the seeds must be sown in pots or boxes, which are recommended to put in a warm and humid place. To create a greenhouse effect, cover the boxes with film. Spraying the soil should be carried out using a spray gun. Seeds are thus kept for at least a month. After that, they should be brought to light.
After the appearance of the first shoots of the plant should be seated in separate containers without separating the earthy coma. Pre-capacity should be treated with a solution of potassium permanganate, but the plants themselves are subjected to the same treatment. To do this, after transplantation should be watered with a solution of manganese.
But with such methods of cultivation, it is not always possible to get good shoots. As experts say, only 25% of plants grow. The plant blooms extremely reluctantly, and may never bloom at all.
When breeding wisteria in the middle lane, it is recommended to use cuttings from an existing adult plant. For this, an incision is made in the spring on a strong and formed process. After this, it is recommended to place the cut in a container with soil and sprinkle with earth. The plant should be regularly watered and fed. By the middle of August, roots will appear on it and the layers can be transplanted to a permanent place in the spring.
It is possible to grow wisteria in the Rostov region, only you need to pick frost-resistant varieties. And then this beautiful and amazing plant will appear in your garden or small garden. And it is able to decorate any place where it grows. After all, there are no such amazing flowers on any vine. So plant this amazing flowery waterfall and enjoy its scent.