Many of us have heard the name juniper more than once, but not everyone knows what kind of plant it is and what aspects of its cultivation. If you want to give your summer cottage a mysterious breathtaking oriental civilization, you can take advantage of the planting of Chinese juniper. The atmosphere of the East soars in the name. Juniper will look good on estates, in rock gardens, rabatkah. The plant is so versatile that it can be given any shape, adjusting it to an existing landscape design.
Chinese juniper: species description
Chinese juniper has the following description. This plant is originally from Northeast China, Manchuria. Shrubs or trees of Chinese juniper can be both single and bisexual. Plant height reaches 25 meters. The crown of trees, depending on the variety, may be columnar, narrow or wide cone-shaped.
Shrubs have a creeping, spherical or pyramidal crown. The branches of the plant are erect, have a dark green color. The thickness of the shoots reaches 2.5 mm. The bark has a gray-red color, exfoliates. The needles of shrubs (trees) can be needle-like or scaly. Cones can be angular, elongated or spherical. Juniper fruits are covered with a bluish bloom. As the cones ripen, their color changes from green to brown, blue or black. The diameter of the fruit does not exceed 9 mm. Inside the cones are oblong triangular seeds of brown color. Cones ripen within two years.Chinese juniper is quite simple to grow. Juveniles grow slowly, then the growth rate increases. Chinese juniper belongs to frost-resistant, drought-resistant plants that easily carry high levels of smoke and gases in the air. As a room flower, Chinese juniper Stricta is grown in containers, giving it the appearance of bonsai or forming a dwarf from a plant.
How to choose the soil for planting
Since the habitat of shrubs and trees of Chinese juniper is a steppe and forest-steppe, it is not picky about soil fertility. Most often for planting seedlings prepare a substrate of peat, sand and sod soil in the following ratio 2: 1: 1. Given the characteristics of varieties, the ratio of the components of the substrate change. The soil should not be neutral.
Choosing a place for planting Chinese juniper
The area where juniper grows should be well lit. Wherein The plant does not tolerate long-term direct sunlight, therefore the place of planting of a bush (tree) should be shaded. The plant does not tolerate full shade and loses its decorative appearance: the shoots are deformed, the needles crumble.
How to plant Chinese juniper
Chinese juniper can be planted in a container or planted in open ground. How to start a shrub (tree) on your site is also up to you. There are several ways of breeding Chinese juniper: seed, cutting, seedlings. Let's take a closer look at each of them.
Reproduction of Chinese Juniper Seeds
If you like experimenting and messing with seeds, then this method of breeding juniper suits you. Before sending the seeds to the soil, you need to stratify themi.e. for a month, they are mixed with wet sand, stored in a room with an air temperature of at least +20 ºC, then for another four months they are kept at 15 ºC.
Sow the seeds in the month of May, pre-freeing them from the shell and breaking the top layer in the planting fossa. For the best development of the germ in a hole with a depth of no more than 3 cm, it is necessary to place the soil from under the bushes or juniper trees. This will allow mycorrhiza to spread, without which the development of the plant root system would not be complete. It is done.
Now have patience, because the first shoots will appear within 1-3 years. At emergence of shoots it is necessary to mulch a ridge with seedlings. Periodically water the seedlings, loosen the ground and free the plants from weeds. The emerged shoots are better for two - three weeks to priten, so that the seedlings do not get stung. Upon reaching the seedlings of three years of age, they are sent with a near-clod to their final place of residence.
Chinese Juniper prefers to plant it in the garden according to all canons. It is best to plant seedlings of conifers in spring, during the beginning of active sap flow, or in late autumn. Weather for landing should be wet. Since grown plants are difficult to tolerate transplantation, it is necessary to preserve the integrity of the root coma. In case of violation of the integrity of the root coma, the root system is better treated with a root growth biostimulator. At the bottom of the landing pit lay drainage layer of up to 15 cm of stones or bricks. The seedling is placed in a planting pit, the depth of which is no more than 70 cm, so that the place of turning the root into a stem rises above the edge of the planting hole for at least 10 cm. Soaking the earthen clod in water in advance (up to two hours).
Breeding of juniper Chinese cuttings
Cutting is a faster and more efficient conifer breeding process than breeding with the help of seeds. Another positive aspect of this process is the number of seedlings, which you can adjust depending on your needs. Material for cuttings are cut in February from lignified young stock. Shoots should be no shorter than 7 cm with two internodes. Another very important point is that the shoots are not cut with shears, and gently tear off. At the bottom of the cutting should be part of the bark from the parent escape.
The shoots are dipped in "Kornevin" and placed in a ready substrate (1: 1: 1 of sand, peat, manure), which is sprinkled on top with a layer of 3-4 cm coarse sand. Depth seeding cuttings up to 2 cm. Cuttings cover banks. Landing area for planting material should be well lit. Until the seedlings are well rooted, it is necessary to irrigate them regularly. Until the beginning of September, the cuttings take root. Replace them with shkolki no earlier than two years.
Chinese juniper: care
Chinese juniper is not very whimsical, but still worth knowing how to care for him. Before you get this ornamental plant, you need to familiarize yourself with some aspects of its cultivation. The main thing to take care of is to prevent spring burns, avoid fungal diseases, and provide full winter care.
Watering and spraying
Chinese juniper as a decorative culture can be grown only by providing it with full care. At first, until the juniper roots have grown and are not able to fully receive water from the ground, watering should be frequent. During a drought, young stock is irrigated at least four times a month. In order to preserve moisture in the soil, the juniper root zone is mulched with sawdust or straw. Adult plants are watered no more than once a month. After irrigation, the soil of the trunk circle is fluffed. Since the Chinese juniper does not tolerate the dryness of the airspace, in dry weather the plant should be irrigated with water at least once a week in the evening.
Chinese juniper grown in the garden, requires preventive treatments in the spring. In late April - early May, trees or shrubs are sprayed with a fungicide solution (1% Bordeaux mixture). Inseminated plants are treated with insecticides.
Fertilizer and dressing
When grown on fertile soil fertilizer is not necessary. In other growing conditions, in the spring (April - May), plants are fed up, applying about 40 g / m² of nitroammophos or complex fertilizers to the soil. In the summer, do not feed. In the winter (October - November) fertilized with potash fertilizers.
Cutting and trimming the crown
Chinese juniper requires pruning annually. To form the juniper begin only a year after disembarking in open ground. Since juniper is an ornamental plant, it can have a curly hairstyle.
Pruning of bushes and trees is carried out from March to October. The average daily temperature should be at least four degrees. Forming haircut is carried out twice a year. The first is held in February-March, until the growing season began, the second - in August, so that the regrowth branches woody until the beginning of winter. To reduce the level of stress and create a lush crown, during the second pruning cut off a third of the length of the shoot from the increase for the current season. The branches on which the needles are missing are also cut out. Make the trimming trim, be sure to process the crown growth biostimulator.
As you know, trimming Chinese juniper is not necessary. There are varieties that can easily be given the desired shape with the help of vertical supports or pin shoots to the ground.
Features care for Chinese juniper in winter
Chinese juniper is a plant, care for which should not stop in the winter. In late autumn, dried, broken and deformed branches should be removed from the bush. This is followed by spraying the near-wellbore soil with a disinfecting solution of Bordeaux mixture. The plant is frost-resistant, does not require shelter for the winter, although the young for the winter is covered with reeds. Adult bushes and trees are wrapped and tied up with a rope. The parts of the plant that have been subject to formation should be covered to avoid their deformation under the thick layer of snow. In winter, in the period of a large amount of snow, it should be shaken off.
Planting Chinese Juniper: Pros and Cons
Planting is justified in the event that properly organize the care of the plant. Due to their inexperience, many gardeners believe that after planting the plant does not require special care. This is just a common misconception. Proper plant care after planting is a prerequisite for rapid and intensive growth.
Chinese juniper got its name because this variety was launched in China. Initially, it can be both cultivated and wild-growing plants. The second grows in dense coniferous forests, for example, in the taiga. Juniper can often be found in the deaf, impassable forests of Siberia. In the northern regions of China, too, there are woodlands resembling the Russian taiga. The climate there is rather severe: hot summer, but very frosty, icy winter.
Cultural as well as wild, characterized by resistance to temperature extremes. This plant is not afraid of even frost at thirty degrees. However, it is not worth growing juniper in the regions of the Far North, because the frosts in the tundra sometimes reach minus fifty.
Residents of the Russian Middle Belt and more northern regions plant this plant undoubtedly, because:
- it refers to evergreens. In autumn and winter, when other trees part with their leaves, he continues to delight the eye with his green, bluish needles,
- this culture is quite undemanding to care, as long as it is light,
- various types of Chinese juniper are actively used in landscape design due to its spectacular appearance,
- with proper care, he begins to bear fruit. The berries of this shrub have great nutritional value, they are rich in vitamins and tannins.
When planting should be borne in mind that it grows rather slowly, especially in the shade. But this minus at the same time can be considered as a plus: due to the slow growth rate does not require frequent pruning and correction of crown shape. This is very important for novice gardeners who have not yet learned how to own a garden shears or shears.
During the care of the plant, one must first of all keep in mind that its growth rate is rather slow. Proper care will help accelerate growth a bit. When leaving, keep in mind the following:
- the tree comes from taiga, and the soil in the taiga is not the most fertile. In this regard, it does not need frequent feeding,
- Juniper also takes it calmly. All species tolerate drought well, but do not tolerate excess moisture and stagnant fluids. Therefore, carrying out care, the gardener should think over competent drainage system,
- tree does not like to be in tenand. It grows best when it is in a well-lit place. In this regard, it is not recommended to plant bushes close to each other. If it is decided to plant a group of plants at the same time, they should not block each other’s sun. In the shadows it quickly ceases to grow and develop, and in the sun, on the contrary, stretches up with all its might,
- as it grows and develops, needs periodic pruning,
- the tree is very fond of shitovki. To combat the shield, it is recommended to spray the bushes regularly with a solution of industrial insecticides. Shoots struck by the shield are neatly cut and burned.
Despite the fact that juniper is a cold-resistant plant, the bushes need to be properly prepared for wintering. In winter, the plant enters a period of physiological rest.
It is necessary to make pruning not only taking into account beauty, but also taking into account practical benefits. During pruning, an amateur gardener not only gives the crown a spectacular shape, but also removes old, dried, infected shoots. Regular pruning stimulates active growth. trees.
In the period of flowering and fruiting tree needs feeding. For fertilizing, you can use industrial fertilizer for evergreen coniferous trees. When the berries begin to ripen, the grower must pay attention to their shape. If the berries are of the correct round or oval shape, dark gray, with a pronounced taste and aroma, it means that the plant develops well. The presence of a large number of deformed berries (elongated, flattened, irregularly shaped berries) indicates that the plant lacks either moisture or nutrients.
Chinese juniper stricture in landscape design
The plant is often used in landscape design. Shrubs are often planted:
- in parks and squares,
- in squares
- in front of the entrance to the administrative buildings,
- before entering cafes, restaurants, snack bars.
You can meet the bushes of this beautiful plant in the "green zone" of a school or kindergarten, as well as at the cemetery. Several trees of approximately the same size, planted close to each other, can play the role of a kind of hedge. Evergreen tree crown reliably protects the summer cottage from prying eyes. Due to the bluish shade of the crown, it is often planted near the administrative buildings. This is a great alternative to the traditional Kremlin blue firs.
Chinese Juniper Berries: Useful Properties and Applications
With proper care, the plant will be regularly and abundantly bear fruit. Its berries have a deep dark blue color and bright pronounced tart taste, in combination with a characteristic coniferous scent. It has long been considered one of the most common medicinal plants.
Berries contain natural antioxidants and immunity enhancers. Not everyone likes to eat berries in their pure form. However, strong alcoholic beverages based on the branches and berries of this tree (juniper vodka, various tinctures and fruit liqueurs) are in great demand in the market for alcoholic beverages. It is quite simple to prepare strong alcoholic drinks, and the result will certainly please even the most sophisticated lovers of noble drinks.
From juniper shoots prepare a variety of infusions and decoctions that increase the body's resistance. Siberian healers have long noticed that juniper helps fight infections, has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic action. Drugs based on juniper can be purchased at pharmacies, but it is best to make medicinal raw materials on their own.
Chinese juniper is a very interesting and useful plant. It looks beautiful and brings great practical benefits. However, this plant is slowly growing and is not suitable for those who are accustomed to the rapid growth of ornamental shrubs. Due to its frost resistance, Chinese juniper is very popular. It is grown in country houses, in gardens and kitchen gardens. With proper care, juniper can adapt to almost any conditions.
Chinese juniper: description of species and varieties
Slow-growing species belonging to the genus of junipers, differs in a variety of forms - trees, shrubs and ground cover plants. Graceful branches are covered with dark green needles, and the color of the bark changes from green to light brown with age. Depending on the variety, the needles can be either needle-like or scale-like. The color of spherical or cone-shaped cones varies from blue to black.
Description of Chinese Juniper
The first cultural planting of Chinese juniper appeared in the XVIII century. Это растение является вечнозелёным.Special attention has been attracted due to its unusual needles, which bulges upward and grows on adult branches, but at the same time it is quite tight to adjacent branches. All this creates a beautiful and lush bush. Needles are also notable for being similar to green scales.
While the plant is still young, the length of the needle is only 3 millimeters. But as they grow older, the shoot will grow. Length can reach 12 mm.
All junipers, which began to grow in China, are characterized by very slow growth, as well as rare fruiting. The plant grows dark blue buds, which contain several seeds. They have an elongated or rounded shape, as well as vary in size. But the ripening period they are always the same - the second year after planting.
You need to know that Chinese juniper may vary in size. In nature, there are large trees that have a pyramidal crown, as well as small shrubs, reaching a height of no more than half a meter.
Popular varieties and types
The Chinese juniper is quite unpretentious, it is distinguished by a great decorative effect, and is also unique in that it can adapt to many conditions. That is why such a plant is often used by people who like to care for bonsai.
And also very often this kind of culture is used in landscape design in various territories. Gardeners note that there are currently about 50 different species of juniper in nature.
It is worth highlighting the most popular types:
- Blue Alps. This is a very common type of juniper. Blue Alps has bluish-green needles. May grow to about 4 meters in length in adulthood. But in order to achieve such dimensions, it is necessary to spend a lot of time on proper care of the plant. Crown juniper sprawling, having a perennial Sizu. Decorate her young shoots that are pulled down. After 10 years, the height of the shrub can be only 2 meters. The diameter of the crown will be approximately one and a half meters. The plant tolerates frost well. If there is a lack of severe frost or snow, then on the branches in the spring period one can notice brownish parts and bald spots. To plant a shrub, you must select such areas where there is enough space for the growth of the seedling. A very interesting decision would be if you use the Blue Alps as a dominant, which will be in the midst of low-growing crops.
- Stricta Juniper can never get lost among the ornamental plants on the site. The Syrikta has a very dense cone-shaped crown. The branches are quite thick and go up. The shoots are covered with bluish-green, and in winter - with gray-silver needles, which are quite prickly. On a similar variety purple berries grow very often. Culture is durable. A person does not need to have any special skills of a gardener to care for a plant, since it requires minimal care. It is only necessary to find a good place in the garden, and then this type of juniper can live to about 100 years. But Strickt is growing very slowly. For 2 years, growth can be as low as 2 meters. It is because of this property that the plant is often used when landscaping a plot in landscape design. A strict can be planted not only on its private plot or cottage, but also in a container.
- Stricta Variegata. It is worth noting that in nature quite often there are various spontaneous mutations, but they remain completely unnoticed. To detect such changes, it is necessary to carefully monitor the plants and record all the results of the study. This is exactly the procedure that happened with this variety of juniper. With the help of mutation, scientists managed to bring a decorative variety that has unevenly colored needles with a rather variegated color. Planting and caring for juniper Variegata is very similar to the usual type of Stricta. But there are certain exceptions. The needles, which are quite prickly, have a silvery-green shade, and they are able to coexist with those areas that have a yellowish tinge. It should be noted that this type of shrub can very easily adapt to dry or calcareous soil, it does not bring shade. It is imperative for the juniper of the Chinese Variegata to need the sun's rays, without which the needles will simply fade.
- Mint Julep. This type of juniper got its name in honor of the alcoholic drink, which has a bright green color and consists of mint syrup. The plant has a similar shade. The crown width of an adult species can be 3.5 m with a length of 2 meters. The plant has very spectacular shoots, which, as they grow, take the form of a wide arc. It is worth noting that this species is quite sun-loving. The crown will expand in breadth. That is why the neighboring crops need to be planted from this species of juniper at a certain distance.
- Kurivao Gold. The main feature of this juniper is the crown, which looks like it is penetrated by light. Gold plant height can be up to 3 meters. The effect of light penetration is achieved due to the combination of needles, which has a yellow and green tint. The golden tones of the shoots will be best seen at the ends of the shoots. That is why the plant looks decorative as well as bright. In the year Kurivao can grow by about 15 cm. Ideal to decorate the corners of the garden, as well as groups of herbaceous and woody perennials. You can make bonsai from the juniper Kurivao Gold. It is worth noting that if you keep the plant in the shade, the variegated color will disappear and become an ordinary green. But at the same time the shadow is very important for this plant, because otherwise the young shoots will be dried out. Therefore, balance should be maintained.
- Chinese Spartan. This type of juniper bred in the American nursery called Monrovia. This happened in the 1960s. Juniper branches are directed vertically upwards and have a pyramidal crown. This species can grow up to 6 meters in height, and its diameter is about 2 meters. Spartan needles are green and have a scaly structure. The plant is very easy to form, because it has a fairly high density of crown, the increase is no more than 15 cm per year. This culture of all junipers is considered the most adapted to winter conditions. Therefore, it can grow not only in private gardens, but also in public gardens and parks.
- Old Gold. Those gardeners who love to make out their plots beautifully, consider this kind of real gold on the territory. The crown has a beautiful greenish-light shade. The shrub can grow in height to a maximum of 150 cm, the width of the crown will grow twice as much. Needles resembles scales. In order to maintain a constant brightness and shape, it is necessary to constantly form plants and also place them in a well-lit area. Old Gold can be planted not only with various plantings, but also in a separate container.
- Expansa variegata. This kind of shrub is evergreen. It is covered with greenish-blue needles. The view is very beautiful, because it is often used as decorative purposes. This is one of the most miniature varieties of juniper. The height is only 50 cm. It is worth noting that Juniper Ekspansa Variyegata quite easily tolerates frosts, but in the spring it should be covered from the bright sun.
Of course, this is not all types of plants. But it is these varieties most often purchased by gardeners.
- Monarch Juniper,
The list is very extensive. But if there is a desire to purchase juniper, then special attention should be paid to these species.
Proper care of the plant
To care for different varieties of juniper, do not need to put a lot of effort. In the spring, you need to add nitroammofosku to the soil. No need to use absolutely any fertilizer. It is worth noting that if there is a desire to feed this plant, it is necessary to do it in small quantities and no more than once in one month. The plant does not require much watering, but in the event that the summer was rather dry, you must carefully monitor the watering. It is best to spray the crown once every 10 days. First you need to do this in the morning and then in the evening.
Juniper does not necessarily trim. In the spring, it suffices to remove dried branches. But if it is necessary to form some specific form, then the protruding shoots can be cut off. Junipers almost all tolerate cold fairly well, but in the first year after planting, seedlings need to be well covered. If the crown is sprawling, then it is best to tie the twigs for the winter with twine.
Soil composition and transplant
It is worth noting that the transplant should be dealt with only in the event of an emergency. This is explained by the fact that it is impossible to give any guarantees of adapting juniper to a new place. The plant does not like the change of "residence". But if there is a desire to accomplish this process, it is necessary to use good soil, which is ideal. It is best to use a mixture of the following:
It is necessary to mix all this in equal proportions. After the plant is placed in a new place, it is necessary to water the tree very well.
To properly trim the juniper, you need to follow some tips. After all, the plant may suffer. This is due to the fact that in itself it does not require pruning.
- It is strictly forbidden to cut at once a very large number of branches. If you ignore this condition, the tree gets sick.
- Dried and weak branches should be cut only in spring or autumn. The tool must be very well sharpened. Otherwise it will be possible to accidentally damage the cortex.
It is advisable to subject juniper pruning only in the case when you need to give it some form. For example, they often do this in order to create a hedge.
In the spring
Spring is the most dangerous period for the tree. therefore You must follow some rules of care:
- The sun burns pine needles, which until then was under the snow. To eliminate this possibility, you must use burlap or any thin material for shelter.
- When it snows, the material that was used for the shelter must be removed, and the fallen leaves and other garbage will be swept away around the trunk.
- It is necessary to get rid of the mulch, because otherwise the roots will rot.
- Soil must be well dig. When the soil is dry, you can pour fresh mulch.
It is worth noting that juniper is quite easy to care for, but you still need to follow some rules. This type of plant will be a real decoration for any territory thanks to its beautiful crown.
Planting and care
Chinese juniper in gardens is found mainly in the form of shrubs and ground cover plants, which are cultivars (cultivated varieties) of the original forms. It develops well and maintains a high decorative effect on well-lit places with fresh, sufficiently moist soil. It tolerates drought better than stagnant water.
In the southern regions with hot summers, the Chinese juniper may suffer from low air humidity, so it is more suitable for growing in the temperate climate of central Russia. In the North-West, the Urals, in Siberia it is damaged by frost in winter and requires shelter. It also suffers from heavy snowfall, therefore it is necessary not only to cover the branches, but also to tie them up. Propagated by seeds and cuttings.
In order to properly position the Chinese juniper and choose its neighbors, when purchasing it is necessary to clarify the following characteristics of the variety:
- adult size
- annual growth rate
- crown shape
Plants bought in the nursery with a closed root system can be planted at any time of the year. Planting is made in the prepared pit, without deepening the root neck. Sapling does not require special attention or care, it is enough to ensure regular watering.
The main problems in growing Chinese juniper:
- Freezing of shoots. Prevention is the choice of frost-resistant varieties, shelter bushes for the winter.
- Burning and drying of needles in the spring. To avoid this problem, it is necessary to arrange shading of the bush and shedding the roots with warm water when sunny days come to improve the nutrition of the needles.
- Fungal diseases. The reason is the wrong landing and violation of agricultural engineering. It is necessary to avoid plant thickening, to build a simple drainage on heavy soils: put crushed stone, gravel, broken bricks into the landing pit. You can not plant Chinese juniper near fruit trees, as they are carriers of fungi that affect the needles of the shrub. Twice a year, the plants are treated prophylactically with fungicides.
Juniper Chinese Strict
This group of junipers has an excellent cone-shaped form, it is distinguished by its endurance, which makes it possible to grow it even in containers. The tree does not exhibit rapid growth, the adult plant often does not exceed 2.5 m. The needles are colored greenish-blue. In a variant of Variegata, the needles, obtained as a result of a random mutation, are sometimes colored cream.
Juniper Blue Alps
Juniper Blue Alps
Common variety. Differs in slow growth and beautiful sprawling crown. Tough needles (up to 1 cm), painted in silver-green color. Young, light colored shoots - drooping. An adult plant does not exceed 4 m. In snowless winters, the plant is best covered. The rest of the plant is very hardy, not demanding on soils and direct sunlight. It can grow in partial shade on slightly acidic and neutral soils. In the springtime, when solar activity increases sharply, and the earth has not yet thawed, the plant can get burned. To avoid this, you can cover the bush with a special material.
Juniper Chinese Spartan
The variety is bred by American breeders and endowed with the most frost-resistant qualities among all Chinese junipers. Since 1960, it has been widely used for landscaping urban landscapes. Dense crown, mainly with scaly needles, allows you to use it to give beautiful forms. Cropping makes the crown even thicker, and a gain of no more than 15 cm allows you to keep the design.
Juniper Chinese Mint Dzhulep
It belongs to the bushes with arched drooping branches. Light green needles are mostly scaly. With a plant height of 2 m, the cover area of the crown is about 3.5 m. Cone-berries (up to 1.5 cm) are painted in dark purple with a bluish bloom. This variety was obtained by crossing Chinese and Cossack junipers. He retained in himself all the resilient qualities of a Cossack juniper, but also the poisonousness of all parts of the plant. It survives well and winters in central Russia, suitable for the urban landscape.
Juniper Chinese Old Gold
The variety of Dutch breeders is especially popular in Russia. This is a small bush with a crown, painted in light green and green colors. The shape of the bush forms a funnel. With a height of an adult plant not higher than 60 cm it can reach 1 meter in length. For planting it is necessary to choose a well-lit area with a neutral or slightly acidic soil. The plant does not tolerate the transplant, and in one place can live up to 100 years.
Juniper Chinese Kurivao Gold
Looks like a sprawling bush with upward-pointing branches. Adult plant reaches 2 m in height and width. Each year, 15-20 cm of young growth is formed, painted in bright yellow color. Against the background of the older needles dark green color looks very impressive. Perfectly tolerates a haircut, suitable for the formation of a hedge. This type is used to form bonsai. Suitable for growing in sunny areas, but does not tolerate dry air, needs sprinkling. The distance between the bushes during planting should be at least 50 cm.
Juniper Chinese Obelisk
It has a high growth rate. In one season can grow up to 25 cm. Young trees form a narrow conical shape of the crown. With age, branches diverge at an almost right angle, forming a pyramidal crown shape. An adult plant of 10 years can reach 3 m in height. The crown diameter at the same time will not exceed 1.5 m. The dark green needles are covered with a bluish bloom. Young shoots are brightly painted in light shades of green. Frost-resistant view, able to tolerate a slight shading, but in the open area the color of the needles will show up better. Does not require spraying and easily tolerates drought.
How to choose a site for landing?
- Well-lit area with small penumbra on the south side.
- Deep occurrence of groundwater.
- Loose, possibly with stones soil.
- The acidity of the earth should be from neutral to slightly acidic.
По статистике, приживаются лучше растения, посаженные в начале весны или осенью, но не позднее октября. Кусты с закрытой корневой системой можно сажать в течение всего года. Их предварительно замачивают в стимуляторе роста и неплохо бы провести обработку противогрибковыми препаратами.
Before planting, dig pits with a depth of up to 70 cm at a distance of 50 cm from each other. The distance between the trees can vary, it depends on the variety and the intended composition. A 20 cm layer of the drainage system of broken brick, rubble or expanded clay is laid at the bottom. After that, pour a layer of nutrient soil consisting of peat, sand and sod land, then allow the soil to settle. Young seedlings are placed in a hole, sprinkled with a mixture of soil with fertilizer and watered for 2 weeks. The root neck should be at a height of 10 cm from the ground. The soil around the plant is periodically loosened and mulched to conserve moisture.
Mature plants do not require frequent watering, once a month is sufficient, if the season is very dry and hot.
But the dry air can damage the decorative crown. In the evening, it is desirable to carry out "sprinkling", sprinkling not only the crown, but also the trunk of the tree.
Chinese juniper is perfect for growing in central Russia without additional shelters. But in the first year after planting the plant must be protected from heavy snow, and in the case of a frosty and snowless winter, from the drying frost. The trees are covered with spruce branches and special material. Every autumn juniper bushes mulch with peat or sawdust to a height of 10 cm.
Chinese juniper is suitable for planting as a hedge.
Perfectly reacts to pruning, allowing you to give the crown a variety of forms. It only makes it thicker.
The first pruning is carried out in March before the onset of active growth. At this time, the temperature should not be below 4 degrees. The second time pruning is carried out in August. Young shoots should be covered with dense bark before the onset of frost. During pruning, only 1/3 of this year’s growth is removed.
Diseases and pests
Most often junipers suffer from fungi caused by over-wetting the soil. It is in the ground and is activated at high humidity, causing the death of the plant. First, the roots turn black, then the fungus clogs the vascular system and the bush begins to dry from the top. To cure the plant will not work, it is better to destroy it and completely replace the soil in this place. Especially often the disease occurs in young seedlings that need regular watering.
Juniper rust is manifested in the appearance of brown thickenings on the branches. This fungus needs two hosts, one of which is an apple, pear or hawthorn. On these trees, it appears in bulky spots on the leaves. Having found signs of disease on juniper, damaged branches should be trimmed with a sterile shear and destroyed.
It is obligatory to process both plants with a fungicide.
Brown and yellow needles can be a sign of Alternaria. On brownish needles visible black plaque. The cause of the disease can be a very dense planting and insufficient ventilation between the trees. First, only the lower branches are affected, then the whole plant may die. Affected parts of the bush must be removed, all the fallen needles to collect from the ground.
It is possible to avoid the spread of Alternaria using quality material for planting, processing sections on the plant with disinfectant solutions and conducting timely preventive procedures.
To this end, such drugs as Hom, Topaz and Abiga-pik are recommended.
Among insects, a wing-moth, a juniper shield and gall midges can harm juniper. Insects can be seen with the naked eye, the plant begins to wither and die. When processing, it is necessary to spill not only the bush, but also the soil around it, since the insect larvae at different stages of development are in the soil. It is for this reason that the procedure must be repeated within two weeks.
Juniper lover can break the integrity of the bark: its moves are easily viewed on the trunk. You can fight it with the help of plant treatment with Fufanon and Actellic. Actellic is buried in moves undiluted.
Red ants and snails also bring harm to the shrub. Special and complex insecticides have been developed for them, which can be purchased at garden centers.
How to multiply?
There are several ways of breeding Chinese juniper.
The most popular method with gardeners is cutting. It allows you to get a certain number of cuttings in a fairly short period of time. Material collected in February. For this fit young, but already covered with bark shoots. Choose cuttings from 7 to 25 cm with two or more internodes.
Cuttings are not cut, it would be better to tear off so that the so-called “heel” (part of the trunk with bark) remains at the end.
The lower part is cleaned of branches and needles, dipped in "Kornevin." The boxes prepared in advance are filled with a mixture of sand, humus and peat in equal proportions. Sprigs are inserted to a depth of 2 cm. Seedling is carried out to a well-lit place in boxes covered with film (like greenhouses), watered and sprayed regularly. It is possible to transplant in open ground only in 1-2 years.
Another simple breeding method is layering. Suitable for horizontal varieties. For this, the soil around the plant is loosened, complemented with sand and peat. Side shoot cleaned in several places from the bark and pressed with pins. Top sprinkled with soil. Requires regular and moderate watering. The young plant can be separated from the mother bush the very next year. When new vertical shoots appear, the bush is planted in a permanent place.
The most time-consuming method of reproduction is seeds. It allows you to get the maximum number of young, healthy plants. For seed fit only cones covered with a dark (almost black) shell. Seeds in them are already ripe.
Cones, berries, rubbed and pour the seeds into a glass of water. You can add a growth stimulator. Ripened seeds sink, and seeds from which nothing grows emerge.
Seeds must be stratified. You can artificially create conditions with a decrease in temperature, and you can plant in the fall and put a box on the street, covered with snow. The soil should consist of peat, humus and sand, and it is recommended to add a little ground from under the coniferous trees of the garden. The soil contains fungi - symbionts, allowing the root system to develop better.
The first shoots appear only after 3 years. They need special care, unlike an adult plant. Seedlings require regular irrigation, loosening the soil and shelter from direct sunlight. Upon reaching the plants of three years of age they are planted in open ground at a permanent place. Pre-trees are hardened.
Use in landscape design
Landscape designers have long loved this plant for the possibility of modifying its crown with pruning and excellent endurance in the middle lane. Chinese juniper forms a beautiful cascade of greenery on rockeries. It can be used as a hedge and individual tapeworms on the background of lawns. Like all conifers, it will not lose its attractiveness in the winter season. It can act as a background of perennial ornamental flowering and decorative leafy plants. This species is grown as bonsai, giving the trunk a beautiful twist.
Chinese juniper is a beautiful garden plant that has been able to decorate the garden for many decades. The shrub does not need fertile soils and can grow even on stones. It is so easy to maintain that even a novice can handle it.