Today, thuja is becoming increasingly popular in the design of homestead territory. Tui have several dozen species and varieties: with different colors of needles, fast-growing and having a gain of only a few millimeters per year, spherical, conical and columnar crown. Let's get acquainted with this wonderful tree and its use in the design of land.
Features: pros and cons
In Russia, numerous groups of eastern and western thuja have proven themselves well. Their winter hardiness allows us to withstand frost seasons.
Some European varieties require shelter for the winter, but these types of thujs are very rare in our country, they are acquired by collectors and create appropriate conditions for them. On most sites planted thuja western.
Thuja western is more adapted to our climate, its homeland is Canada, where conditions are similar to the average in Russia. The thuja east is brought to us from Asia, it is more capricious, does not like the north wind, it is better to plant it on the windward side of the house.
Thuja can grow in partial shade and in the sun, do not require frequent watering. They get along well with other plants.
The green of the thuy is very dense, the needles are soft, the bark has a beautiful gray color. The color of the needles varies from yellow to dark green. The crown has the shape of a ball, a cone or a pyramid, the growth rate of some varieties is insignificant, they can maintain a constant accent in the composition for a long time, other varieties grow very quickly and need regular crown cutting.
The crown of such fast-growing tui can be given any shape. Several centuries ago, French and English gardeners began to create entire architectural parks of balls, columns, pyramids, cubes, and other geometric figures from sheared thujs. Today, a whole trend has developed in landscape design - topiarnoe art to create figures of animals, people, machines, well-known art objects from soft needles.
The branches have a beautiful fan-shaped shape, sometimes twisted in a spiral. Thuja has a medicinal effect, its needles are emitted by phytoncides, which disinfect and purify the air, so it is useful to plant it near the house or a platform for rest.
Landscape designers of temperate climatic latitudes fell in love with all these qualities and external similarities with the southern cypress. This coniferous plant is unpretentious and has a great variety of varieties, which allows you to include thuja in various landscape compositions or use soliter. Consider what types of these wonderful conifers can be used for decorative gardening of home gardens.
Types and varieties
Let us consider what varieties of western thuja are cultivated in the temperate climate of central Russia.
- Aurea - with yellow needles, in the shade it acquires green shades that become darker in winter. It has thick needles, lends itself well to shaping, can be given any shape, because of its low growth (up to 2.5 meters) it can be used in compositions with conifers of other colors on the middle ground or with roses, hydrangeas, ferns - on the second. Due to the yellow color, it can be accentuated in the hedges of darker varieties. Looks beautiful with purple Tungberg barberries. This variety has branches originally arranged, which further enhances the decorative qualities. An annual gain of only 5 centimeters. This must be taken into account when purchasing a variety for your plot.
Young small specimens can be planted in flower beds with flowers, they will not compete for a long time. If you want to create a large accent, you will have to wait a very long time for the necessary decorative effect of this hodgepodge, therefore it is better to buy an adult large plant.
Tuya Smaragd in Landscape Design
Despite its slow growth, the plant is very popular with both professional landscape designers and ordinary gardeners who are trying to turn their country sites into a personal little paradise.
Thuja harmoniously fits into almost any composition that has already been created and will be perfectly combined with perennial and annual plants, with deciduous shrubs and other coniferous crops.
Thuja Golden Smaragd is the owner of a truly lively and beautiful crown of conical shape and golden color. It is harmoniously combined with juniper, spruces and other coniferous brethren.
Thuja Smaragd Variegata has an insignificant feature which, in general, changes the whole appearance, betraying the elegance, unusualness and color to the plant, it consists in coloring the tips of the needles in white.
Planting consisting of all sorts of varieties of this coniferous plant will create a surprisingly slender composition that will not only please the eye, but also fill the air with the scent of the forest and freshness.
Today there are a huge variety of varieties and types of this ever-green plant. Landscape designers have been using thuja for decades, giving new life to parks, squares and dacha plots. Plants, in turn, have their own characteristics and therefore, before planting, the most common species should be studied, which will most harmoniously fit into an existing design:
- Stunted - Khozeri, Danica, Dorrit Little,
- The most suitable for creating a hedge - Smaragd, Brabant,
- Single plants - ReinGold, Kornik.
Tuya Danika It is a dwarf tree that can create a beautiful rock garden from a sad courtyard. The needles are directed upwards, it creates a view of accuracy and harmony absolutely with any version of the hairstyle. The same Danica variety will look great in splendid isolation, and in the company of other conifers.
Tuya Dorrit Little the western variety which has perfectly got accustomed and in our latitudes. As a rule, it is a small tree about a meter in height, usually 70-90 cm. With a spherical lush crown. With proper care of this variety, the thuja will acquire a truly lush spherical crown. Needles of this variety look strictly from the center of the trunk, which gives it additional pomp and beauty.
Tuya Smaragd ideal for planting in our latitudes, perfectly tolerates almost any weather conditions and is not afraid of frost at all, and this deserves a lot of attention from designers and gardeners. Smaragd can land both alone and in group compositions creating a picturesque view. This variety is often used in the creation of hedges. The plant perfectly gives in to formation, the krone can be both spherical and harmonous.
Tuya RainGold Perfect for creating a hedge. The tree grows to a height of 1.5 m, has a slender structure and yellow-green color of needles with a golden sheen. In winter, the crown of the plant acquires a brownish tint.
Choosing a landing site for thuya
When choosing a planting place for the thuja, one should be guided not only by the goals of creating a perfect landscape design, but it is also important to pay attention to the fact that the plant itself is comfortable, for this you need to find a place with minimal shading, preferably without any shadow.
When choosing a place, it is very important to take into account the flow of groundwater, coniferous plants have a very negative attitude towards the excess water in the soil, otherwise there are no special requirements for the soil. It is recommended to plant the thuja on fertile loam, with a high content of lime.
When planting, a pit is dug about 0.5 m in size and so deep that the root is fully submerged in the soil. If the soil at the landing sites is not suitable, it is important to add the missing components: peat, sand, sod ...
Important: It will not be superfluous to add a little wood ash during planting in combination with a complex fertilizer of prolonged action.
Planting Tui and subsequent care
It is recommended to plant thuja in the spring season, during the summer the plant has time to fully adapt and prepare for winter, which cannot be said about the autumn planting.
Gardeners mostly resort to planting already grown seedlings purchased in a nursery, but when planting such plants are more susceptible to all sorts of diseases and take longer to live, unlike for example plants grown from seeds with their own hands.
Important: when buying seedlings, it is necessary to carefully examine the state of the needles, it should not have dry needles, be elastic as well as evenly colored.
Immediately after transplantation, the plant must be protected from the scorching sun, so the tree crown is covered with a light cloth for example gauze, and in the evening or morning time you can spray the needles with plain water or with special preparations such as "Epin" - an anti-stress drug.
Since Tui Smaragd has a shallow root system, it is necessary to loosen the ground very carefully. In avoiding drying of the soil, it is desirable to enclose the area around the tree with peat or bark.
Young plants should be prepared for wintering, the soil sprinkled with foliage, sawdust or peat chips. The crown of the tree is covered with a special material which can be found in any gardening shop.
In early spring, immediately after the snow has melted, all the warming materials are removed from the thuja and sanitized as well. It is desirable to add complex fertilizer to the soil for coniferous crops.
Reproduction Tui Smaragd
The most appropriate breeding method for this plant is grafting and growing from seed. Both options deserve attention and have their advantages. When propagating by cutting from an adult tree, branches are separated not more than 5-6 cm in length and about 5 mm in diameter. The graft is incised at an angle of 45 degrees and cleaned about 1 cm from the bottom of the bark. The best time for plant reproduction is early spring.
Next, the cuttings are planted in a moist environment consisting of sand, peat, vermiculite and placed in a greenhouse. The rest of the plant will only water in a timely manner.
Description and characteristics of an evergreen plant
Thuja western Smaragd (description) is a monoecious evergreen plant having a dense and narrow pyramidal crown with a bright green color of needles. A tree is an ornamental plant, which means it has the most place in a natural or artificial landscape. The hedge from Tui Smaragd looks royally, and it depends on you to make it slim and uniform, or to allow each tree to grow in its own way, preserving its original state.
The characteristics and characteristics of the western Smaragd thuja will help you to get to know this amazing plant better:
- The height of an adult plant of Tui Smaragd usually varies in the range from 4 to 6 m, and the raw width is up to 2 meters.
- The average life expectancy is 110-130 years. If we talk about how fast the Thuja Smaragd grows, then on average, a tree grows no more than 20 cm in length, and 4-5 cm in width.
- Thuja western Smaragd is one of the most popular representatives of the cypress family.
- The tree has the shape of an oblong cone with a pronounced crown and thick coniferous coating. It is very flexible, thanks to which landscape designers like to give it different sculptural forms.
- Thuja Smaragd is an evergreen plant, which means it will remain so even in winter and after a hundred years.
- In spring, thuja blooms with small oblong brown cones that fall away from the onset of autumnal cold weather.
- Thuja feels great even in the conditions of Russian cold winters, because it has an enviable frost resistance.
- The tree grows on any Russian soil and requires minimal maintenance.
- The thuja grows not only in the conditions of a garden and a kitchen garden, but also within the city. Polluted environment does not adversely affect the maturation of this tree.
- Thuja western Smaragd actively releases phytoncides, especially during its flowering period, thanks to which it cleans the air and saturates it with useful substances.
- The plant looks equally impressive in the form of a single planting, and in a hedge environment.
- Thuja Smaragd western often divided into 2 main subspecies: thuja with a green color and thuja with a golden color.
Now you know the description of the photo of the western Smaragd thuja, and you can easily distinguish it from other species.
Features proper planting
If you follow our advice and recommendations in detail, you will notice that self-planting and caring for Tua Smaragd, the photo of which is presented below, is very simple. The most important thing you should do before landing is:
- choose healthy, fresh seedlings,
- carefully select good cuttings,
- choose a place for thuja (it is desirable that it grows freely).
Preparing for landing
First of all, decide on how exactly you will plant the western Smaragd thief. There are 2 options here: either you purchase special seedlings in plant nurseries, or you plant a tree with cuttings. The first method is the easiest, but rather expensive, but you will save a lot of time. The second option will cost you much cheaper. To do this you will need two-year shoots of thuja. They must take root, after which they will be ready for planting.
As for ready-made seedlings, which are usually sold in small bags, they should be carefully inspected before purchasing.
If the needles of seedlings have a pale green look, then they should be put aside. Also note that the root system of the seedling must be fully developed and of medium size.
When choosing a place to plant a Tui, push off the following points:
- A place in the open sun is not the best place for Tui Smaragd. She can get burned due to a constant lack of moisture.
- A place in the shade is also unfavorable for the plant, because it can die.
- The best place for planting is moderate penumbra. Try to choose a plot that is protected from drafts and wind.
The process of planting trees
Now, when you have chosen a place to plant, good seedlings and cuttings, it's time to start planting. You will grow a beautiful and healthy long-lived tree if you steadily follow our advice:
- The best period for planting a tree is the end of May or the beginning of June. Planting trees in the fall is not recommended if the early frosts hit, then the seedlings may not settle down and die.
- We talked about that thuja gets accustomed in any soil. But in order for a tree to grow healthy and fluffy, the soil must be prepared with a drainage system. The ideal option for drainage under the touja is a drainage from a 15 cm layer of gravel or crushed brick.
- Dig a hole that is commensurate with the size of the root system of your seedling. The depth of one meter will be quite sufficient.
- Do not forget about the preparation of a special mixture. To do this, carefully mix the following "ingredients": turf soil, deciduous soil, sand and peat (or peat deposits).
- The growth of western Smaragd thuja can be accelerated with manure or compost waste. Do not forget also about mineral fertilizers.
- Dampen well with a pit filled with earth. Moisture is essential for young tree.
- In the prepared zone, plant a ready seedling or a created stalk together with a lump of earth, and which they grow.
- Pay attention to the fact that the root neck of the seedling should strictly be located at ground level.
If you want to plant a hedge, not a single plant, then make sure that the distance from one tree to another must be at least 50 cm, but not more than 1 m.
As you can see, landing Tui Smaragd is very simple. Now that you know how to properly plant thuja. You can grow a whole hedge.
Features care for evergreen
We talked about the fact that thuja requires minimal care. Even if you leave a tree to grow without your help, it will still grow and be green, but it will not look as good as it could have been, and the life span, more likely, will be reduced to 50-70 years.
HA healthy flowering plant will delight you for many years with careful care:
- Systematic watering. Thuja western Smaragd is very fond of moisture and does not tolerate soil drying. In summer, the thuja must be irrigated with water at least once a week, and in all other seasons it will be enough 1-2 times a month. The tree will thank you if you periodically spray it with water, thereby eliminating dusty deposits and various small insects.
- Care for soil and earth around the plant. Remove weeds, destroy insect nests. Firstly, it will support the aesthetics of your planting, and secondly, this is how you saturate the earth with oxygen, and therefore contribute to a more rapid development of the plant,
- Do not forget to periodically loosen the earth. This is very important for providing the root system with oxygen. Please note that you need to loosen shallowly and very carefully, because you remember that you planted it shallowly.
- It is important to mulch the soil once a year by adding peat and bark.
- Подкармливайте растение удобрениями 2 раза в сезон.
- Периодически обрезайте ваше деревце. Аккуратная санитарная обрезка поможет вам избавиться от сухих побегов. Используйте только острые секаторы для бережной обрезки.
- Закрывайте ваши деревья, стоящие на солнцепеке от жары тонким покрывалом.
Вредители и болезни туи
Thuja, as an ornamental plant, quite often undergoes attacks of insects and certain diseases. Here are the most common ones:
- Fungal infection. It is easily distinguishable by brown shoots and yellow needles. Cut the affected shoots as soon as you notice them and burn them. And then sprinkle all the foundation with a foundation.
- Tuevaya aphid. This infection can destroy the whole tree. You can destroy the aphids and cure the tree with the help of karbofos.
- Dummy. This disease is also easily recognized by the presence on the needles of a growth similar to bumps. To eliminate infection, use the drugs Rogor and karbofos.
- Disease of the tree due to drying out of the soil or due to excessive watering. Both that, and another will promote fast rotting of soil, after which the tree inevitably perishes.
Perhaps these are all diseases of Tui Smaragd.
Photo of the western Smaragd thuja in landscape design
If you still doubt that this tree is what you need, then we offer you a selection of photos of Tui Smaragd in landscape design.
The origin of the western Tui Smaragd
Tui is home to Canada and North America. It was on the border between these two countries in the states of Caroline and Virginia that tree was first discovered in the wild. The indigenous inhabitants of this place were called the “American tree of life”, thanks to its amazing features and unique beauty. Europeans transported tuyu to the Old World, from where it began to spread to other continents.
In Russia, thuja originally grew on the Black Sea coast and only after the expiration of the long term spread further throughout the territory.
Thuja western Smaragd landing and care are distinguished by their simplicity and ease. This is the most unpretentious view from which many varieties derived from parks and gardens.
Thuja western Smaragd - an evergreen tree with a compact crown and emerald, bright color. It belongs to the family of Cypress. It is an ornamental plant, which is perfect as a designer decoration of the landscape thanks to a thick amazing crown of a cone-shaped shape.
- average tree height 4-6 meters, diameter up to 2 meters,
- a slowly growing tree that can live for up to 150 years
- grows 5 cm wide, 10-20 cm high in a year,
- has a clear silhouette of the crown and dense cone-shaped needles,
- needles of Tui Smaragd of bright green color, which does not change in winter,
- the tree does not require special care, it grows on almost any soil,
- In spring, brown small oblong nubs appear on the thuja.
Thuja Smaragd varieties
Tui Smaragd has several varieties that have the same features, but have small nuances of appearance. Here is a description of some of them:
- Tui Golden Smaragd - a tree with a dense crown and amazing golden yellow color. In winter, the color does not change. It can reach a height of 4-5 meters. This kind of great for landscaping alleys, parks and gardens.
- Western thuja Smaragd Variegata has a bright emerald color that does not change throughout the year. The tree has a regular conical crown with needles, tightly spaced to each other.
- White Smaragd This variety is very hike on thuy Golden Smaragd. Difference only in color. The tree is not demanding to the soil and care, but it does not grow well in the city. Used to create hedges along the alleys.
- Thuja western Smaragd Vitbont - a hybrid unique look which feature is very slow growth. The color of the needles is bright green, does not change in winter.
- Thuja Smaragd Spiral - an unusual, amazing variety with a peculiar shape of the crown. From the name of the plant it is clear that the crown grows in a spiral and forms a garden sculpture, even without pruning.
- Spotti Smaragd - a variety with a loose crown with a splendid effect. The needles are bright green. There are few shoots on this species thuja. The volume is obtained due to branching.
Tui Golden Smaragd
Tui Smaragd is represented by several varieties, differing from each other in appearance. Characteristics in them are common in relation to planting, care, reproduction, pest control.
We now have to get acquainted with the main varieties of this beautiful tree:
- Thuja Golden Smaragd. It differs from the classic variety in the color of the crown - it is golden yellow in it. It grows in height up to 5 meters.
- Thuja Smaragd Variegata. It has a conical crown configuration with a rich emerald green color. When a growth appears, it is white. This adds charm to the tree, and enhances its decorative effect.
- Thuja Spotty Smaragd. The characteristic of the variety is in the looseness of the location of the branches, giving the impression of increased pomp of the tree. Branches give it bulk. Rich green color varieties, continuing, including in the winter.
- Thuja Smaragd Spiral. Unusual sort of tree. Its uniqueness consists in the bizarre form of the crown: it is arranged in a spiral, and thus does not need a formative pruning.
- Tuya Smaragd Witbont. A feature of this tree is its slow growth. It has bright green needles. An ideal thuja for those who want to do without haircuts and high plant heights.
With such a variety of appearance of this tree, it is possible to face the desire to have each of them, and the difficulty in choosing your own plant.
Western thuja is able to reproduce both with the help of seeds and vegetatively.
Of these two methods, the second is used more often. The vegetative method involves dividing a plant, reproducing it by horizontal layering, grafting.
To get the result using the division, the young tree must spud. Then it is divided into several parts.
In order to propagate by horizontal layering, the lower part of the crown is bent to the soil and sprinkled with earth. Then, throughout the year, roots are formed on the branches, and the young plants are transplanted.
By cuttings, they propagate thuja like this:
- In early spring, even before the awakening of the kidneys, harvesting is done. Practice shows that it is more effective to break them for this, so that each of them has a “heel” (on one side of the cutting there is a piece of wood with bark). The length of the planting material should be about 10 cm.
- Then pluck the needles from the bottom of the cutting, leaving only the tops.
- Put them in the water and leave them there until gentle roots, periodically changing the water.
- Pick up pots with drainage holes to avoid stagnation of water.
- After that, planting is carried out in the soil mixture. Water as needed.
- When the rooted cuttings go into growth and get stronger, they are carefully transferred to the prepared holes in open ground.
Growing thuja western from seeds is a long process, so gardeners rarely use it. To get a grown up tree, it is necessary to do this for about 5 years.
For planting it is necessary to prepare a healthy planting material and determine the site. From the choice of location will depend on the growth rate and development of the tree, as well as its well-being.
If thuja Smaragd is landed in an open sunny place, then she will suffer from burns or moisture deficiency. In a completely shaded area, the plant will also have a hard time. Therefore, suitable for Tui is the place where there is diffused lighting. It is also necessary to take into account that our tree can be damaged by drafts and a sharp wind.
To plant a sapling of thuja, it is necessary to prepare the planting material itself, which is pre-examined, as well as a shovel, turfy and hardwood soil, sand, peat, mineral dressings and water.
- The best time to do this is at the end of spring or early summer. If planted in the fall, there is a risk that the tree may not have time to settle down, and will be vulnerable to winter frost.
- It is necessary that the size of the pit corresponds to the size of the root system of the thuja.
- The wells must have a drainage layer to care for excess water. A gravel layer of 20 cm will suffice for this.
- Prepare a suitable soil - mixed deciduous and turf soil, peat and sand, add mineral fertilizer.
- In a pit put a sapling.
- After filling the hole with soil, make abundant watering.
If thuja western planted in a hedge, then the distance between plants should be from 0.6 to 1 meter.
Even such an unpretentious tree, as thuja western, should have the correct care. Therefore, it is necessary to pay due attention to it.
Features care for thuja:
- The correct mode of watering. The soil around the tree should be kept in a wet state. When the groundwater is close to it, it can be watered twice a month, but when it is hot outside, it is watered every week. The plant benefits from sprinkling as well, because water washes away dust from its branches.
- Systematic soil loosening. This is important for the oxygen supply to the root system. But there is one important detail: the roots lie close to the surface of the earth, because of this, the loosening is made shallow.
- Mulch pristvolnye circles. Peat or tree bark is suitable for this.
- Fertilization. Ornamental crops need mineral supplements. They are carried out in April, May, August - three times a year. Fertilizers specifically formulated for conifers can be used. The dosage is described in the instructions for such feeding.
- Crop. Carry out sanitary thinning wood. At the same time, dry and deformed parts of the branches are removed. As mentioned, it is possible to turn pruning of this tree into art, but this is possible only for a specialist.
- Shelter from the direct rays of the sun. In the hot period, it is recommended to cover the seedlings with white or light light material.
- For a young plant, there is a need for winterization. Therefore, the root system of fallen leaves or peat is also good in this quality as needles. Further bind with twine branches so that heavy snow does not break them.
These simple recommendations will help you properly care for your beautiful woman, and when she grows up, she will no longer be vulnerable to many factors that are dangerous for seedlings.
Description and properties of the plant
The full name of the species is thuja western Smaragd (thuja occidentalis smaragd). Belongs to the family of cypress. The plant belongs to monoecious, evergreen. A characteristic feature is a crown in the shape of a pyramid.
Dimensions of Tui Smaragd can reach a height of 4 to 6 meters. Crohn without processing grows in width to 2 meters. The lifespan of a tree is 100-130 years. Every year it grows up to 20 cm in height and 5 cm in width.
The dense coniferous covering of a thuja differs in pliability that does a plant popular with landscape designers. In the spring the plant begins to bloom. Small oblong-shaped lumps remain on the branches until the onset of cold weather. Thuja is highly resistant to frost and feels great even in the harsh Russian winter.
The tree is suitable for any soil, it is very unpretentious in the care. Tuju grow up not only on personal plots, but also in city line. Even the unfavorable ecological situation of megalopolises will not prevent maturation and growth.
During flowering thuja Smaragd produces a large number of phytoncids. These substances purify the air from harmful bacteria.
Main species and varieties
Description of Tui Smaragd includes two large species - with a green crown and a golden yellow. Among gardeners and landscape designers are very popular with several varieties:
- Janet Gold (Golden Smaragd) is a relatively young variety, launched onto the market in 2009. The tree reaches a height of about 2.5 meters to 10 years. Possesses average resistance to low temperatures.
- Philips Magic Moment - outwardly, this variety is very similar to Janet Gold, however, it has a more pronounced yellow with an orange tint. It grows slowly, over the year there is an increase in height by 5 cm. This variety is relatively cold-resistant, tolerates a haircut and is distinguished by unpretentious care.
- Smaragd Light or White Smaragd is a small spotted shrub with a cone-shaped crown. By age 10, this species grows no more than 2 meters. Differs delicate flat twigs with golden yellow spots. The scales are alternately arranged, green interspersed with cream ones, so from a distance the thuja looks light green. This variety prefers brightly lit areas.
- Thuja Smaragd Variegata practically does not differ from Light variety. The exception is the coloring - light scales are not located all along the shoot, but only at the tips.
- Vitbont variety - cone-shaped tree with a low growth rate. The shoots are directed upwards. Young branches openwork, different light cream color. However, over the summer, the tips of the shoots acquire an emerald green color. The variety grows well on moist fertile soils with high-quality drainage and a slightly acid reaction. It prefers sunny areas, although it is able to live in shady places.
In some catalogs, a separate grade is indicated by the Smaragd Spiral. In fact, this is the usual thuja western Smaragd, the crown of which was formed in a special way from a very early age. Such a tree is the fruit of many years of work.
Planting thuya in the ground
Planting and caring for thuja western Smaragd will not cause significant difficulties. Culture is propagated by cuttings. Growing from seed at home is almost never used.
Cuttings need to be taken from young trees. To begin, cut shoots are planted in pots and kept at home. At the bottom of such a planting container lay a layer of drainage, poured on top of a layer of fertile soil containing river sand.
The cuttings are immersed in the soil for 2 cm, on top of the layer of the substrate slightly compacted. After planting, the ground is watered with a solution of urea. Replant rooted shoots in open ground in the fall. The algorithm of transfer to the open ground should be as follows:
- Pre-prepared space on the site. To do this, dig a hole 80 cm deep and 1 meter in diameter.
- At the bottom of the landing pit poured a layer of soil, fertilized with wood ash.
- Planting of Tui Smaragd is made so that the root neck is located at ground level.
- Sprinkle the roots of the seedling with a mixture of garden soil, peat and sand, taken in equal proportions.
- The soil is slightly compacted.
The distance between the seedlings depends on the variety. Small trees can be planted at a distance of one meter from each other, and large specimens require a plot with a diameter of 5 meters.
Features care in the garden
Even if the thuja grows on its own, without proper care, it will still be green and bright. However, with proper care, the tree will grow as attractive as possible and will live much longer. To this end, it is recommended to adhere to the following rules:
- Provide a regular watering plant. Thuja western Smaragd does not tolerate even short-term drying out of the soil. In the summer, it is necessary to moisten the soil at least once a week, in spring and autumn one watering per month will suffice.
- It is very useful to spray the crown of the tree. So she can be cleaned from dust and small insects that settle on the branches.
- The soil around the plant requires regular maintenance: loosening, removing weeds and nests of insect pests. This will give an aesthetic look to the site and help oxygenate the soil, which will positively affect the condition of the crown. Loosening should be shallow.
- Once a year, the soil is mulched with bark or peat.
- Three times a season, the plant needs fertilizing with mineral fertilizers. The first dressing is applied in April, then the soil is fertilized in early July. At this time, thuja needs nitrogen-rich mixtures. The final procedure is held in September. In the autumn make dressing with potassium and phosphorus.
- Sanitary pruning is done regularly. Remove dried and damaged shoots. For careful pruning, a sharp pruner is required.
- In extreme heat, you can protect the crown from direct sunlight with a thin blanket.
Adult thuja is highly resistant to cold. However, in the winter it is still possible to cover the plant or store it in a special container.
Before the onset of frost, the crown of a high thuja should be gently pulled off with a string. The first 2 years in winter, the plant should be slightly pritenyat. You can use burlap or special covering materials. Root collar of a plant is plentifully sprinkled with friable snow.
Planting and care
Having decided on the place, you can start planting thuja. To get a healthy, beautiful tree You must follow certain tips:
- When buying a tree with a pot, it is necessary to pour plenty of water on the ground and leave it for two hours to make it easier to remove the plant,
- The ideal time for planting is the end of spring - the beginning of summer. Of course, you can plant a tree in the fall, but it can not settle down and not withstand the first frost,
- More preferable for western thuja are the following types of soils: peaty, chernozem, clayey. If there is a heavy soil on the site, where moisture is stagnant, or ground water is close to the surface, a drainage system should be prepared from a 20 cm layer of gravel or broken brick,
- dig a hole, depending on the size of the root system. The ideal depth is up to 1 meter. Если растение покупалось с горшком, следует оценить его диаметр и для посадки выкопать яму в 2-3 раза больше, чем земляной ком. В случае покупки саженца без земляного кома, диаметр ямы должен быть в 3 раза больше диаметра кроны в самом широком месте,
- наполняют яму плодородным грунтом. Отличным вариантом грунта будет следующая смесь : чернозем/цветочный грунт, торф, песок в пропорциях 2 :1:2. It has all the necessary elements for the initial stage. Water abundantly
- A sapling or graft is planted together with the earthy clod in which it grew, the root neck must be at the same level with the ground,
- the distance between the trees should be from 0.6 m to 1 meter.
Caring for thuja
Growing evergreen tree does not require large expenditures. Tummy Smaragd care is simple, should only follow certain rules:
- Thuja requires regular watering, especially in arid, hot summer. The soil around the trunk should always be sufficiently wet. It is best to water the plant in the evening or early in the morning, during the period when the sun's rays do not fall on the tree. These trees love spraying, in which dust is washed off from the needles and the aroma intensifies. An excellent option would be a drip system, which helps to maintain an optimal moisture balance for the root system.
- The plant needs to loosen the soil, but it should be done carefully. The root system of the thuja has a superficial structure, so the depth of loosening should not exceed 10 cm. It is necessary to mulch the soil with wood chips and peat, which will save the roots from overheating and the soil from evaporation.
- Tue Smaragd requires annual fertilizing. This should be done three times: in April, May and August. Use complex fertilizers intended for coniferous plants,
- The tree does not require special pruning, with time it itself acquires a pyramidal even shape. But in order for the plant to have a neat appearance, it is necessary to remove dry and damaged shoots in time. Cut off 1/3 of the shoot with a very sharp shears.
- The land around the tree should be in a clean state, without weeds. This contributes to the saturation of the soil with oxygen.
- Sometimes young plants need shelter from the sun. For these purposes, use a light non-fabric material.
- In the first few years of life, an ornamental tree should be prepared for winter, sprinkling the trunk and root system with peat, needles and fallen leaves. The branches bind so that they are not broken by snowfall.
Major diseases and pests
Thuja, like other ornamental plants, is prone to various diseases. If you do not start treating the tree in time, it will die. The plant can be harmed:
- fungus. A disease in which brown shoots appear on the tree may turn yellow needles. If you find these signs, you must immediately act. Crop and burn the damaged shoots and spray the plant with a foundation. To prevent this disease. As a preventive measure to the root system should prikopat limestone.
- tuevaya aphid. This is the most common and dangerous pest that can severely damage a tree. In the presence of aphids on the tree, possible fall off of the needles. To get rid of the pest use karbofos,
- pseudo shield may cause great harm to the plant. Detect the pest can be on small growths, resembling their appearance of cones, located on the needles. So that the tree does not die, it is treated with such drugs as karbofos and roghor,
- excessive watering or drying out of the soil can also harm the plant, and in such cases it will not be easy to save the tree.
Tuya Smaragd in landscape design
Western Thuja Smaragd is widely used in landscape design.. Ways of use:
- creating a hedge due to its high size and dense crown, which perfectly protects against wind. Planted in a row, the thuja is a bright dense wall that is suitable for dividing the territory in the front garden,
- Often in garden compositions, Thuja Smaragd is a bright accent and plays the main role,
- This plant can be used to frame tracks and alleys.
Use in landscape design
Thuja western Smaragd is an excellent decoration of any corner of your local area. It effectively looks in a single landing, and in the group.
The objectives of its cultivation:
- Create emphasis in the composition. The bright appearance of this conifer will always be the center of attention. He is fascinating human views.
- Single landing. Decorating a certain area.
- Cultivation in tubs is applicable to them.
- In order to create a hedge. They have a dense form, and an impressionable height, which you can hide behind.
- Beautifully framed track.
- They are excellent material for topiary. Beautiful and interesting TUI-figures enchant and add originality to any corner where they grow.
A variety of varieties of thuja Smaragd allow the owner of the territory to choose the colors and colors of seedlings that will appeal to him most.
Diseases and pests
Thuja western Smaragd, like other ornamental cultures, also has its pests and is prone to diseases. Consider the most common of them:
- Fungal diseases. Brown spots appear on the thuja, sometimes the needles turn yellow. When this defect is detected, cut the affected areas of the branches, and burn them. This is necessary so that the disease does not spread to healthy branches, as well as not to infect other trees. After removal of the diseased parts of the branches, the plant is treated with Fundazole.
- Aphids, living on Tui. This is a dangerous and common insect. It can cause serious damage to the plant. In the presence of this pest, the fall of the needles is characteristic of the tree. To destroy the aphids used karbofos.
- Shatter-pan. The presence of growths on the bark of the thuja indicates the presence of this insect. In this case, the tree is urgently treated with Rogor or Karbofos.
Grow a beautiful thuy Smaragd is not difficult and exciting. As a result, you will have forever green decoration with emerald needles on your site, which will ionize and purify the air, as well as collect enthusiastic views of passersby and create comfort.
An expert in the following video will tell you about the care of Tumaya Smaragd: