Of course, any gardener wants to decorate his plot with flowers that would have an attractive appearance and would not require a lot of care. In this case, decorative beans come to the rescue - a plant that successfully combines both these qualities. In addition to the garden, it can be grown at home.
Description of decorative beans
The decorative bean is an annual climbing plant of the legume family. It is a powerful liana with dense foliage strewn with flowers, which later turn into pods. Beans have a motley coloring and rather large size. As a garden culture, decorative beans have been used for more than six centuries.
Flowers can be different shades depending on the variety. For example, Mammoth bean has white flowers, French - red, Dolikhos - bright pink.
Flowers of decorative bean Dolikhos are similar to hyacinths
The word "beans" comes from the Latin word "phaseolus", which means "sailing boat". The name of the bean has earned the fact that its flowers resemble a ship under sail.
Decorative fiery red beans - one of the popular varieties of beans in Russia
Landing direct sowing
It is worth noting that this method is more preferable, as the decorative beans do not tolerate the transplant. If you live in a warm region, you can sow beans from mid-April, when the soil temperature at a depth of 10 cm will reach 11–15 ° C, while residents of central Russia will have to wait until mid-May.
- Prepare the beans for sowing. Before sowing, soak the seeds in the solution of potassium permanganate (it should be bright pink) for 12–15 hours until the beans swell. The solution of potassium permanganate can be replaced by a solution of boric acid (1 g per 5 l), the soaking time is 5 minutes. This measure is necessary for the prevention of disease.
Before sowing beans, beans should be soaked in a solution of potassium permanganate
Beans are creepers, so the plant needs support
Planting decorative beans for seedlings
Sowing beans in seedlings is usually carried out at the end of March.
- For seedlings of beans, it is desirable to use peat pots, since they protect the root system of the plant when it is transplanted into open ground.
- Before sowing, soak the beans for 2 hours in a bright pink solution of potassium permanganate, and then in warm water until the beans are slightly swollen. Plant them in pots to a depth of 1–3 cm, 2-3 beans in each well. Provide a temperature not lower than 18 o C.
When two leaflets appear in bean sprouts, you can transplant the sprouts into the open ground.
Place for planting decorative beans must be prepared in the fall. To do this, dig your chosen plot (note that, firstly, it must be located in the sun, because the decorative bean is a heat-loving culture, and secondly - to be well ventilated to prevent the spread of disease), then fertilize it:
- Potash fertilizers. The most popular types are: potassium chloride, potassium sulfate, and potassium magnesia. A sufficient amount of potassium in the soil will provide better adaptation to temperature, tolerance of moisture deficiency, accelerate metabolic processes. Dosage - 0.15 kg per 10 m 2.
- Superphosphate fertilizers. There are several types: monophosphate, granular, ammoniated. Necessary to strengthen the root system, slow down the aging of the plant, nourish well. Dosage - 0.25–0.3 kg per 10 m 2.
- If necessary, lime the selected area (5–14 kg of lime per 10 m 2).
- After these procedures, fertilize the area with humus (4 kg per 1 m 2).
Do not forget to re-dig the site again in spring and add organic fertilizers (manure, humus) and mineral mixtures to the soil, for example, the same superphosphates. Avoid nitrogen fertilizers. Since the beans are legumes, they themselves are capable of releasing a sufficient amount of nitrogen into the soil. An excess of this component will lead to a proliferation of green mass to the detriment of flowers.
The best predecessors for decorative beans are wheat and barley. After them, the soil remains a sufficient amount of moisture and nutrients necessary for the full growth of the plant.
Rules for the care of decorative beans
To provide abundant flowering of decorative beans and protect it from diseases, you need to follow a few rules:
- If possible, try to remove dried leaves and flowers.
- Regularly feed your plant with mineral fertilizers (superphosphates) and organic matter. Manure works well, but it should not be fresh.
- Keep the beans in a constant, slightly moist soil. Try to water between the rows, avoiding moisture on the plants to avoid the appearance of fungal diseases.
- Mulch the soil after watering to prevent the appearance of a crust. Straw, sawdust, wood chips are well suited for mulch.
- For more abundant flowering and disease prevention, use growth regulators (Zircon - prolongs flowering and helps to endure adverse conditions, Krezatsin - enriches with vitamins). Preparations should be used strictly according to the instructions.
Diseases of decorative beans
Like all cultures, decorative beans are also susceptible to various diseases. The most common anthracosis and bacteriosis.
Anthracnose is a fungal disease that develops most rapidly in wet cold weather. With anthracnose, the plant is covered with brownish spots, then the leaf flesh turns yellow and dies. Also affected pods. To protect your plant from this disease, follow these rules:
- For sowing, choose strong, healthy beans with no signs of illness (brown or brown spots), soak them in potassium permanganate.
- If signs of anthracnose appear on one of the plants, then try to cut the affected areas, because the disease is infectious.
- As a treatment, apply the spraying of beans with 1% Bordeaux liquid.
Anthracnose develops rapidly in wet cold weather
Bacteriosis is a disease caused by various types of bacteria. The most obvious sign is that yellow spots appear on the leaves, which then turn brown in the center. The emergence and progression of the disease depends on the initial presence of bacteria in the beans. As a preventive measure, it is necessary to warm the seeds with hot air (60 ° C) for 1.5 hours. Adverse conditions may accelerate the course of the disease. As a treatment, experts recommend depositing mineral mixtures in the soil (they increase the resistance to the disease) and spraying with 1% Bordeaux mixture.
Consider that it will be possible to plant the beans again in the affected area only after 3-4 years.
The leaves of the beans affected by bacteriosis are covered with yellow spots
Growing decorative beans at home
If you do not have a garden, then you can grow decorative beans at home - for example, on the balcony. In this case, you can sow the seeds directly into the ground. To grow decorative beans at home, you will need a pot of at least 3 liters and a support. When sprouts reach 20–25 cm in height, pinch the growing point if you want your plant to be bush-like.
To prevent the beans from suffering from excess UV, provide them with a faint shadow. Water as necessary, as the beans harm both excess and lack of moisture. Top dressing - complex mineral fertilizers, for example, diammofoska (a mixture of potash and phosphate fertilizers, dosage - 3 g / l 1 time in 10 days). The best varieties for indoor growing: Violetta, Raspberry jingle, French, Golden nectar.
Decorative beans are often used to decorate balconies.
The basic rules for the care of decorative beans are simple. Fulfilling them, you can easily achieve good results in the cultivation of this wonderful plant - both in the garden and at home.
Characteristics of decorative beans
Growing decorative beans will not bring much trouble. This unpretentious plant easily copes with the role of a decorative element of landscape design. When culture blooms, it gives an unusual charm to anyone, even the simplest cottage.
As a rule, the culture lags along the walls. The main thing is to make her a solid support, which will not break under a mass of greenery. Decorative beans grow intensively, the bushes reach 5 meters.
Another purpose of the culture is to saturate the soil with nitrogen. This element accumulates in the roots of plants. Many gardeners prefer to plant beans between the rows of potatoes, thus increasing its yield by 70%. In addition, the plant prevents the development of late blight, and its foliar mass is used as compost and fertilizer.
The fruits of decorative beans are edible, they are rich in vegetable protein, zinc, vitamins A, B, C, E, iron, calcium and other beneficial trace elements. Only purple beans are not used in cooking.
Varieties of decorative beans
If you define varieties of decorative beans to taste, then even the most avid gourmets will not be able to feel the difference. The same applies to the size and shape of the fruit. The only difference between varieties is the color gamut. Curly beans has many varieties:
- Purple Beans Named in honor of the color of flowers. Gardeners prefer this culture for its attractive appearance. The variety is used as a decorative ornament, its fruits are inedible.
- Variety of beans Golden nectar. It is characterized by an unusual yellow-gold color of the shoulder blades. Suitable for those who love asparagus beans. In cooking, the immature pods of this culture are used.
- Spanish white. It is characterized by large beans, which makes it stand out against other shelling varieties. Its fruits are large, they quickly prepare, because they have a thin skin. This variety is great for cooking borscht, stews, canning and stewing. Eat only grain, the pods of this variety are not edible.
- Borlotto beans Already by name it can be determined that Spain is the birthplace of this variety. Nevertheless, she fell in love with domestic gardeners. This curly variety blooms with red flowers, gives flat fruits with a marble dark red pattern. From one pod extract 4-5 grains. As the fruit ripens, a dark pattern appears.
- Variety of beans Green giant. Among other varieties of green beans, this species is distinguished by large pods. Their length reaches 22 cm. They have a sweetish, delicate taste and are characterized by the absence of parchment, as well as fibers. Another advantage of the variety is that it fruits fruits in stages, gardeners harvest before the onset of the first frost.
- Variety of grain beans Violet. Shelling varieties that, under favorable conditions, reach a three-meter length. Ripe grains are characterized by a dark purple color. Tellingly, the pods of this variety also have a soft purple color. Such a culture will be the "attraction" of any site.
- Bean Variety Purple Queen. Characterized by beautiful purple flowers and the same color of beans. 50 days after the emergence of seedlings, gardeners harvest the first crop. Grain varieties are white, characterized by a very delicate flavor.
- Curly Fire-red beans. Another name is Winner or Turkish Beans. This is the most unpretentious variety of legumes. Actively grown as decoration. Its bright red flowers and bright green greens will breathe life into even the most dreary building. And the fruits of this culture are also decorative. Their color varies from white to light lilac with a black pattern.
- Bluhilda. Variety with purple flowers, pods and even leaves. True, the latter acquire a dark purple hue with time. This is a late-ripening culture; it is grown in a seedling manner in the middle belt. It blooms for a long time, almost to the first frost. The pods reach 23 cm in length. What is characteristic, during the heat treatment they turn green. Perederzhivat them on the bed is not recommended, otherwise they will become rigid.
- African bean Vigne. The most fruitful variety of asparagus beans, but loves care. The length of its pods reaches 1 meter in length. Its peculiarity is that it blooms at night. During the day, it closes its purple flowers, transforming them into unattractive yellow-brown buds. Up to 200 beans can be harvested from one bush of this type of bean.
Decorative beans are not resistant to cold. Therefore, its planting is possible only after, when the temperature of the soil at a depth of 7-10 cm will not be lower than 10 degrees. This is the beginning, the middle of May, it all depends on the region. In order for the culture to grow better and be less exposed to various evils, the seeds undergo preliminary preparation before planting. To do this, they are soaked in a solution of potassium permanganate for 10-15 hours. To stimulate growth, many gardeners add a special liquid.
First of all, under the beans you need to choose a well-lit area. In a dark place, full-fledged growth of culture is impossible. The best precursors of legumes are tomatoes, cabbage, cucumbers. Prepare the soil in the fall. It is deeply dug up and fed with potash or superphosphate compounds. This procedure contributes to the good development of plants and the rich color of their flowers. Also in the autumn humus is introduced into the soil, and in spring they are fed with mineral fertilizers. Sour soil before planting lime.
Beans can grow and produce good crops anywhere, but in wet cold weather conditions, the crop is more vulnerable to diseases and pests.
Note! The soil for planting decorative beans should not be oversaturated with nitrogen. No nitrogen fertilizers are added to it. Otherwise, the harvest will be reduced due to the excessive development of green mass.
How to sow the seeds of decorative beans
Before sowing the soil must be moistened. 3 grains are poured into each well. The distance between the holes is at least 20 cm, between the rows - at least 40 cm. To create more comfortable conditions, the planted area is covered with a film. Also, this method will protect against possible frost.
In the southern regions, sowing can be done twice a season. In this case, preference is given to early ripening varieties, the growing season of which takes no more than 10 weeks.
Planting decorative bean seedling method
For rassadnogo growing culture planted in late May. It is best to plant seeds in pots filled with peat. In each tank planted one grain. For the development of plants requires an optimal temperature (from 18 to 22 degrees). In such conditions, the seeds will grow quite quickly. When the plants reach 10 cm, they necessarily provide support. Shoots do not pinch.
Not yet developed plants are transplanted into the open ground. Otherwise, they will not be able to quickly adapt to new conditions, which will adversely affect the process of their further growth.
Care of decorative beans
Beans absolutely do not tolerate cold temperatures. Even adult plants can be adversely affected by cold, not to mention young seedlings. Therefore, immediately after the landing of the culture, the area is covered with a film. This will provide the necessary conditions for growth and protect against low temperatures, because weather conditions are known for their inconstancy, especially in recent years.
Regular watering is of paramount importance in the development of culture. Especially during hot and dry weather. The beans are watered immediately after the formation of a dry crust on the ground. Before flowering watering is carried out more often, plants should receive moisture at least twice a week.
Also, the plants are watered after each weeding. You can water directly from the spout of the watering can, water is poured into the middle of the rows. It is important that the water is purified and does not contain impurities.
Immediately it is worth noting that the beans are not fed with fresh manure. For these purposes, use organics or superphosphate compounds. It is unacceptable that the mixture fell on the leaves of plants, otherwise they can get burned. Therefore, dry dressing laid out directly on the soil, and the liquid gently make between the rows, using a watering can.
The mulch will greatly benefit the culture. Gardeners use sawdust, hay or straw for this purpose.
Curly and asparagus cultivars need binding garter. A special support is built near them (wire, net or thick twine). Some gardeners, not wanting to mess with the poles, drive wooden pins 1.5–2 m high near the bushes. In the process of plant growth, their stems are sent to a support, after which they twist on it themselves.
Like any garden crop, decorative beans can be subject to diseases and pests. The most common diseases of culture are:
- Bacteriosis The name of this disease speaks for itself. It is caused by various types of bacteria. Характерная особенность заболевания заключается в появлении на листьях желтоватых пятен, в центре которых со временем появляются коричневые участки. Причина развития бактериоза заключается в том, что патогенные микроорганизмы изначально присутствуют на семенах фасоли. Поэтому в качестве профилактики этого заболевания семена прогревают около двух часов при температуре 60 градусов. Шансы поражения бактериозом повышаются при неблагоприятных погодных условиях.To prevent the disease, soil application of 1% Bordeaux liquid and mineral compounds is used.
- Anthracnose. It is a fungal disease that develops in wet and cold weather. The disease manifests itself as the formation of yellow spots over the entire surface of the plants. The leaves turn yellow and die over time. As a disease prevention, it is necessary to carefully select the seeds before planting. There should be no signs of illness on them. Before disembarking, they are soaked in a weak solution of potassium permanganate. If the disease appears on at least one of the leaves, the affected area must be removed, since anthracnose is very contagious. When the disease is detected, the beans are sprayed with Bordeaux liquid.
It is important to remember that pathogenic microorganisms tend to persist in the soil. Therefore, it will be possible to re-plant the beans at the same site not earlier than in three years.
Most often, the decorative beans are attacked by the whitefly, aphid, germ fly. However, pests can overtake the culture not only in the process of growth. Often bugs are turned up in beans that are stored. This refers to grain grains, which are especially often put in storage. Bugs lay on the grains of the larvae, which leads to their decay and blackening.
To avoid insect attacks, it is important to harvest in time. If the pods are cracked, they are more likely to cause pests. If small bugs have already bred, then the fruit must be determined for a few days in the freezer or steamed. Store the grain in a dry and airtight place. If it is a glass jar, then it should be tightly closed with a lid.
In the process of growth, decorative beans can be treated with agrochemicals no more than once, strictly observing the proportions that the manufacturer specifies on the package.
Advantages of decorative beans
- The plant grows very quickly after planting, so it can decorate a large area of the garden plot. Gardeners plant curling beans near fences, gazebos or on any other vertical surface. And since the plant grows quickly and can reach a height of 5 meters in a short period of time, it is necessary to prepare a support in advance or to strengthen an existing structure so that it does not fall under the weight.
- Climbing plant unpretentious in the care, so it is often used in the garden plots beginner gardeners and gardeners.
- The roots of the plant are rich in nitrogen, which in necessary quantities enters the soil, thereby enriching it. Therefore, they often plant beans near potatoes. This neighborhood increases the yield of potatoes by 70%.
- The beans themselves are not only rich in microelements and vitamins, but also low in calories. The beans include zinc, iron, calcium, magnesium, chromium, and a whole group of vitamins A, B, C, E. Just remember that food can be eaten only varieties of edible decorative beans.
- The leaves of the plant also have their advantages, they are often used for the preparation of composts.
In order for the seedlings to grow and grow strong before planting in open ground, experts advise sowing decorative beans in late March. But before starting to sow, it is necessary to prepare containers in advance, it is best to use peat pots, which can be bought at any specialized store. Pods do not need to be first germinatedtherefore, unsprouted seeds are placed in pots to a depth of no more than 1.5 centimeters. In each pot you need to put one seed. Next, you need to moisten the soil and leave it alone before germination. For maximum comfort, seedlings should be in a room with a temperature of +18 to +22 ⁰ C.
When the plant reaches 10 centimeters in height, it will be necessary to make a support for it. To transplant seedlings in open ground to a permanent place is necessary before inflorescences begin to form on it. And also for better adaptation, the seedlings are planted together with the ground in which it grew.
Planting in open ground
It is necessary to plant curling beans with seeds in open ground when the threat of night frost passes. The main landmark for novice florists is planting cucumbers, which, like beans, are afraid of frost. Therefore, sowing needs to be done in the first half of May, when the soil warms to the required temperature (from +12 to +14 ⁰ C). A landing site is chosen such that it is well warmed by the sun. As well as experts advise planting beans in the area where they had previously grown potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers or cabbage. Seeds for planting will need to be prepared in advance, for this, the beans are poured with a solution of potassium permanganate (1%) and left to stand for 20 minutes.
After the expiration of the seeds are planted in the ground for 3 beans in each well to a depth of no more than 2 centimeters. The distance between the pits should be about 30 centimeters. Simultaneously with the landing, you also need to immediately install a support with a height of at least 3 meters. It is better to use wooden structures as a support, as the beans do not curl around plastic and iron.
Although curly beans and unpretentious care, it still requires timely watering, weeding and fertilizer. In addition, the young plant is afraid of low temperatures, so if necessary, the young will need to be covered with foil. The optimum temperature at which the plant will grow normally is +18 ⁰ C. In case this figure is lower, we need warming.
Watering is very important for decorative beans, especially in the dry season. Feature of watering plants lies in the fact that you need to water carefully from the watering can in the middle of the garden so that water does not fall on the inflorescences. It is better to use warm water, settled and without chlorine.
Timely feeding the plant is also important and will only benefit. As a top dressing beans it is best to use organic compounds. Fresh manure can not be used. Experienced gardeners often fertilize in advance the place where they will plant the beans. It is especially effective to mulch with hay, sawdust, or straw. But you also need to remember that when using complex fertilizers, which contain superphosphate, you need to make sure that not a single drop of the substance gets on the leaves and flowers of the plant, because when it hits the leaves, the plant can get burned, which in some cases will be difficult somehow fix it.
Varieties of curling decorative beans
If you want to decorate the site, but do not have the desire to mess with capricious ornamental cultures, curly beans - the best way out. This plant effectively envelops any surface, successfully climbing up hills, for example:
- facade of a house or other structure,
- fencing plot.
Her flowers have an extremely bright color, which immediately catches the eye. The following shades are especially loved by domestic gardeners:
These shades of colors can provide you with different varieties. Consider the most popular among them.
Russian gardeners especially appreciate the varieties of ornamental beans, giving large purple and red flowers
Grade number 1 - "Violet"
Violetta - a variety that belongs to the category of early ripening. Scourge in this plant formed long, after flowering, they are covered with pods of medium size and bright color, which are characterized by:
These fruits are usable, and go well in soups, salads and hot dishes, but you cannot prepare beans for the winter.
Decorative variety "Violetta"
Grade number 2 - "Bluehild"
This varietal variety also belongs to early-ripening plants, and the length of its branches is even longer than that of the Violetta. Flowering begins about 60 days after planting in the ground. In addition to the purple shade of flowers, the eye will be pleased with the similar deep color of the pods.
Pods bean variety "Bluekhilda"
Grade number 3 - "Fire Queen"
The desired type of decorative beans requires from the moment of germination only 50 days until the harvest ripens. Interestingly, it is often used for the food component, as it gives twisted purple pods that can be up to 18-20 centimeters in length.
Pods bean varieties "Ash Queen"
Grade number 5 - "Purple King"
For a short period of ripening, the seeds of this variety of decorative beans turn into undersized and compact bushes covered with flowers and pods of the shade mentioned by us.
Fruits bean "purple king"
Grade number 1 - "Fire Whirl"
This hybrid variety is classified as mid-season. The length of its branches is very solid, it can reach about 3 meters, while it is overgrown with thin branches and a large number of leaves.
Variety of beans "Fire Whirl"
Grade number 2 - "Little Red Riding Hood"
This decorative bean is one of the champions in the length of the lashes, which can reach a value of 3.5 meters. During the ripening of the crop, small and neat pods are formed, suitable for human consumption.
Flowering varieties "Little Red Riding Hood"
Grade number 3 - "Fire Falls"
This variety has the following feature: it pleases gardeners, bright fiery colors, flowers the longest. At the same time, the length of its whips can reach 5 or even sometimes more than meters. Forms green pods, characterized by valuable taste.
Fiery waterfall beans
Grade number 4 - "Winner"
This perennial variety ripens on average 80-85 days after planting in open ground, while forming during the growing season:
- bright scarlet flowers
- green pods, having a length of up to 30 centimeters.
Fruits of this bean are suitable for the use in food and are formed very plentifully.
Now that we have learned which varieties are most often used by Russian gardeners and gardeners, let us proceed to consider the procedure for growing decorative curling beans.
How to bloom decorative beans varieties "Winner"
How to grow seedlings of decorative beans from seeds
In order for your plant to withstand all the difficulties of living in an open field, not protected from the environment, it is best to grow it from seeds directly at home, planting in the garden already in the form of grown seedlings.
Peat pots or tablets allow you to transplant seedlings without damaging the roots of plants
The best packaging for this crop is peat tablets, which, when combined with moisture, turn into pots. The fact is that such a container can then be dug into the ground without removing the earthy lump from it, that is, without injuring the roots of the plant.
What are peat tablets?
Preparation of bean seeds for planting is carried out in three main stages.
Table 1. Preparatory stages before planting decorative bean seeds in pots or other containers
So, the first stage is the selection of seed for growing seedlings. Here's what you need to do after self-harvesting or buying seeds:
After you have only high-quality seeds, you can proceed to the next stage of preliminary preparation.
Disinfecting plants still in seed condition will help you to prevent the development of diseases in them during the period of formation of seedlings and the adult shrub.
So, to rid the seeds of beans from ailments, it is necessary to mix the solution:
The concentration of the solution should be equal to about 1-2%, that is, in the tank you get a slightly pink liquid. Do not overdo it, otherwise you can harm the plant.
Keep the seeds in solution for at least two hours, after which they must be washed and dried in order to continue further processing.
To activate the system of seeds, and to prepare it thereby for further germination, you can also by soaking, only this time the environment for placing seeds will be simple water, preheated.
Keep the grains in the water to swell, then they can pull out.
Seedlings of decorative beans
After the preparatory procedures are completed, you can proceed directly to the landing.
Provided that you choose not individual pots as a container, but a total, large capacity, then you will need to leave a distance of several centimeters between the grains (preferably at least 4-5). In order for future seedlings to have a place to develop the root system, and at the same time not to bind with the neighbor's roots.
It is necessary to close the beans to a depth of at least 3 centimeters, while 2-3 seeds are sown per recess.
In order to grow seedlings without any problems, from the moment of planting until the very last day, coming before planting in open ground, you will need to keep the container with germinating seeds in a room where the temperature is maintained between 18-22 C.
A month after sowing, it will already be possible to plant the beans on the street, but if for any reason you cannot do this, be sure to equip the support with grown lashes.
It is possible to plant seedlings into the soil no earlier than each leaf has two leaves.
Here are the conditions necessary for transplanting plants to open ground:
- on the beans must be formed at least two true leaves,
- frosts must go through forever.
In each region, the date of the possible return of frosts is different, therefore, be guided solely by the weather conditions of your place of residence, determining the time of landing.
Sowing decorative beans in the ground
If you do not want to mess with the seedlings, and are ready to start planting beans right in the open ground, you need to:
- carry out the preparatory activities described in the previous section,
- wait until the earth’s thickness to a depth of about 10 centimeters warms by at least 14–15 ° C.
So, the warming of the earth to the above level occurs:
- in the south, usually in early May,
- in mid-latitudes at the end of May,
- in the north in the beginning-middle of June.
Under certain conditions, decorative beans can be planted immediately in open ground
Planting plants in the ground is almost identical to planting in a rassnetnuyu container, however, now increasing:
- depth touched (up to 3 centimeters),
- distances between landings (20-30 centimeters),
- distance between rows (50 centimeters).
It is desirable to cover the bed with beans before the emergence of seedlings with a film, so you protect it from the unstable conditions of the outdoor environment.
Planting decorative beans, provided that you live in the southern regions of the country, can be made approximately twice during one growing season, however, only if early-maturing varieties are chosen for planting.
Fertilizing the land before planting
Before planting the beans need to fertilize the earth with various fertilizers
Before planting beans, you first need to fertilize the soil on which it will grow. For this purpose, the following substances are used on the planting area of 10 square meters:
- potassium fertilizer, about 150 grams,
- superphosphate, 250-300 grams.
At the same time, it is possible to intervene in the earth with humus at the rate of 5 buckets of a substance per area previously indicated. Simultaneously with the introduction of fertilizers should be a deep digging of the territory.
Let's sum up
Decorative beans - an entertaining culture that not only pleases the gardener's eye, but also is able to bring you nutritional pods containing a large amount of protein and fiber. As they say, it provides food for both body and soul. The valuable product of this crop can be stored in winter or used fresh, and flowers should be enjoyed for a long part of summer.
Decorative bean planting and care
Curly beans perfectly copes with the task of an attractive, but not capricious, element of landscape design. Braiding a facade or fence, this woven culture with bright flowers can transform the appearance of any hacienda and give a modest cottage a special charm.
Among Russian gardeners, two varieties of this plant are most in demand. This is a decorative bean curly purple and fiery red. The first includes several varieties, which during flowering appear mottled pods with purple-yellow colors and a length of 15 cm, and the second - a separate variety with densely pubescent red flowers in combination with heart-shaped foliage.
Curly beans: varieties
Purple beans among domestic summer residents are often called "Georgian" or "Drakensky languages", although none of the most popular varieties are so called:
- Violet is a very beautiful early-ripening variety, forming very long branches, dotted with bright pods. Soft and juicy fruits without parchment fiber are edible.
- Bluekhilda is another early ripe variety with a large length of branches. Not two months after planting, as an intensely colored yellow-violet garden becomes the focus of the entire area.
- Сорт PurpleQueen или по-народному «Пёрпл Куин» созревает за 50-55 дней и имеет хорошую урожайность, поэтому нередко возделывается как овощная культура. Существуют низкорослые гибриды с высотой в 40 см. Слегка закрученные стручки насыщенного фиолетового цвета достигают 20 см в длину.
- Модница. Среднеспелый сорт с вегетацией в 80 дней. Кустовой сорт, не поднимающийся выше 50 см. При созревании вырастают белые стручки со штрихами фиолетового оттенка.
- Purple King is another fast-ripe shrub variety of purple beans. Compact bushes overgrow purple blades in the second month of growth.
Among the domestic summer residents, the common beans are also curly, the varieties of which equally well combine the decorative and fruit qualities:
- The fire vortex is a hybrid with an average growing season that releases branches up to 3 meters in length with thin elongated shoots and a large green mass. It has trifoliate leaves and long green shoulder blades.
- The Little Red Riding Hood is a decorative climbing bean growing up to 3.5 meters in length. When ripe, beautiful, medium-sized pods appear, with a delicate structure without parchment fiber.
- Fiery waterfall is a long-flowering variety with thick heavily climbing branches growing up to 5 meters in length. Harvests of delicate green blades.
- The winner is a mid-season variety (85 days of growing season) with flowers of fiery red color and green fruit shovels up to 30 cm long.
The variety of fiery red decorative beans is a perennial. Heavy and heavily winding branches can reach three meters in length. During flowering, heart-shaped leaves beautifully frame heavily pubescent flowers with bright red colors.
Curly decorative bean cultivation
Decorative beans: care
In general, the technique of growing this type of bean is based on the principles of cultivation of all leguminous plants:
- for stability after sprouting shoots, they must be folded up and laid in the right direction,
- beans well takes fertilizing from organic matter, except for fresh manure,
- it needs lush, well-drained ground for fast and lush growth, so carrots, potatoes, onions and tomatoes are excellent sideratami,
- beans should not be moisture deficient, but excessive watering leads to a strong growth of leafy stalk mass,
- from the cooling of the already sown grain saves covering the impenetrable film or other non-woven material,
- loosening the ridges with straw, sawdust, wood shavings or straw increases the yield,
- in the absence of organic fertilizers, mineral complexes enriched with superphosphate can be used,
- soil compaction and crusting should be avoided, mulching it after watering,
- To stop the growth of a branch, just pinch at the tip.
Harvesting usually falls on the first weeks of autumn, although the exact dates depend on the characteristics of the cultivated variety. Before storing the beans, it is recommended to dry them for 3-4 days in the open sun, and then put them in a dry cool place, scattering them in paper bags.
Decorative haricot is a simple vegetable crop that surprisingly combines the beautiful with the healthy. Growing it with proper care will give the owners a valuable product for the winter, and the neighbors will be the subject of envy during the flowering period of the crop.