Before purchasing a seedling, it is important to correctly find a comfortable place for it and learn how to properly prepare the soil mixture. These factors will be the basis for the future excellent development and delightful blooming of the "rose tree".
Favorable conditions: a quiet place with light penumbra from tall trees. Good illumination is required in the morning and in the evening, and from 11.00 to 16.00 an obligatory shade or protection from the sun's rays.
Therefore, for planting rhododendron Katevbinskogo "Grandiflorum" it is better to choose the north or east side.
The selected part of the garden should not be podtaplivatsya in the spring when the snow melts and not be swamped.
Neighbor selection and landing distance
The neighbors of “Grandiflorum” should have a core root system, since it has a superficial one so that there is no nutrient deficiency.
Good environment: spruce, larch and pine (as in nature). And also a pear, an oak, a pine, an apple-tree, a sweet cherry. The ban: elm, birch, willow, chestnut, maple, linden.
- The minimum distance to large shrubs and trees: 2-3 meters, from a building up to 7 years (then the lime is almost not released from the solution) - 1.5 meters. When landing in a row - 130-180 cm.
Soil acidity and soil mix for planting
Optimum acidity of soil for rhododendron, pH: 3.0-4.5. In a neutral environment, the growth and flowering of the Katevba rhododendron is significantly inhibited.
The main components of the nutrient substrate: heather land, sour high-moor peat, deciduous land (humus) and pine needles. The presence of all components is not necessary, it is more important to observe the approximate ratio: 50/50 organic matter and garden soil from the excavated pit.
- High peat, garden soil (loam or sod land) and sand 3: 2: 1. Reliable option - the "gold standard".
- High peat, leaf ground and coniferous bedding, sand - 3: 2: 1: 1.
Additionally, you need to add 30-40 grams of complex mineral fertilizers.
Rhododendron Katevbinsky "Grandiflorum" (Grandiflorum)
Instructions for planting rhododendron Katevbinsky "Grandiflorum"
- Liberally pour the seedling, and if the root ball is dry, then soak in a bucket of water for 40-50 minutes so that all the bubbles with the air come out and it is saturated with moisture.
- Dig a planting hole about two times larger than the root seedling (depth - 34-40, and width - 45-60 cm).
- Make a drainage layer at the bottom of the pit of red broken brick, sand, fine gravel, pebbles or crushed granite - 7-8 cm.
- Pour a little soil mixture (8-10 cm layer) and pour the hole with 4-5 liters of water so that the bottom layer is well soaked.
- Then place the seedling so that the root neck is 3-5 cm higher than the ground level. And after compacting the soil mixture and watering the base of the bush will be just at ground level. Gradually fill the substrate and compact it.
- Pour the rainbow circle with 6-8 liters of water. If the soil is very settled, then add the mixture.
- Pour a 6-8 cm layer of mulch from peat, heather land, pine needles or leaves of oak, birch or linden to preserve moisture, increase acidity and amount of humus.
It is impossible to sleep the root collar, it is better to sprinkle it with coarse sand so as not to rot.
- Cover the sapling with a newspaper cap, cloth or net for 7-12 days. Then hammer in a stake for support, tilt it towards the winds and tie the seedling.
See the special article for more details:
When is it best to plant rhododendron?
Experts recommend planting rhododendron in April - mid-May or from September to mid-November - this is the most favorable time.
In regions with a cold climate (Midland, Moscow Region, North-West, Leningrad Region, the Urals and Siberia), it is best to land in spring.
By autumn the rhododendron will get stronger, it is better to take root, which will increase its chances of a successful wintering.
Care after landing for the rhododendron Katevbinskim Grandiflorum
After planting, the plant needs proper watering, since moisture is required for adaptation and development. The most critical period lasts until August, when it becomes very hot, and it rains less and less.
- The plant has a small root ball, which dries quickly, so the flower needs to be watered often - 4-6 liters of water every 2-3 days and spray - preferably daily in the morning or in the evening.
- According to most experts, the right watering is more important than fertilizing fertilizer. But after 15-20 days after planting, when he takes root, rhododendron of Ketevba Grandiflorum, it is advisable to feed him 10-15 grams of complex mineral fertilizer.
- From mid-September to November, abundant watering contributes to a more successful wintering of the plant. If dry autumn and little rain, then water every 5-7 days, 6-8 liters of water.
- Before frost (late September - early October), spray the plant with a copper-containing drug (copper sulfate, copper chloroxide), “Bordeaux mixture” or “Fitosporin” to prevent fungal diseases.
- At the beginning - mid-November (after the arrival of the first cold weather) sprinkle a 10-15 cm layer of mulch (peat, needles), and on top cover it with lapniknik or stretch white sackcloth, agrofibre or lutrasil on stakes (wire frame).
How does the katevbinsk Grandiflorum winter? + Reviews
Winter hardiness of the hybrid variety “Grandiflorum” is up to –32 ° C, it is also very enduring. Therefore, such a preparation for winter will allow you to see it in spring healthy in the Moscow region, the Leningrad region, and in most cases even the Urals with Siberia.
A sufficient amount of moisture will strengthen the "rose tree", fungicide treatment will save you from diseases, and winter shelter will save you from frost and burns from the bright spring sun.
How to remove the shelter in the spring after winter and further care in detail, see a separate article: “CARE FOR RHODENDRON IN OPEN GROUND».
According to the reviews of flower growers, rhododendron Katevbinsk Grandiflorum grows well, blooms profusely, is quite light and easy to clean.
In addition to the stunning beauty of the inflorescences, the hybrid variety is highly valued for its high winter hardiness and endurance.
The best proof of words is the fact that “Grandiflorum” is the world's most popular variety of rhododendron with a very rich history.
ADDITION TO ARTICLE:
We wish you to successfully plant Grandiflorum and enjoy its beauty for many years!
This is one of the most winter-hardy and tall varieties. He feels great in the penumbra, blooms very chic, closes the foliage with flowers, the real “Rose tree”.
- The crown is dense, usually in the form of a semicircle, its diameter can reach 2 m.
- Leaves - shiny leathery leaves it has a dark green color, elongated ellipsoidal shape (can reach 15 cm in length).
- Bark - on the stem and branches can be dark gray or brown.
- Flowers in Rhododendron, Katevbinsky is similar in shape to broad bells of a soft lilac color with yellow patterns; in hybrid varieties there is a very large variety of colors, there are: white, pink, red, crimson and others. The inflorescence is very lush, it consists of 20 pieces of flowers, and each flower has a size of about 5 - 6 cm in diameter.
- The roots - are located shallow, not lower than 40 cm from the surface.
What is the difference from other species?
In Rhododendron Katevbinsky, unlike many other types of evergreen Rhododendrons, inflorescences have a wonderful delicate aroma. It is also worth noting that during the flowering period, it blooms so luxuriantly that it won the name "Rose Tree".
- Hybrid variety Katevbins Burso - this is one of the most winter-hardy species, withstands up to 30 degrees of frost, likes to grow in width. Purple-purple flowers are collected in large lush inflorescences.
- Purpureum hybrid - spherical shrub with beautiful purple inflorescences (the color is very juicy), large inflorescences - 15 flowers each, without smell.
- Album (Catawbiense album) - this species has a slightly different shape - it extends upwards, reaches a height of 3 m, large flowers of its white color with a yellow core.
- When and how - flowering of Rhododendron Katevbinsky occurs in May - June, lasts about one month. The flowering is very intense, the inflorescences consist of 15 to 20 large flowers of various shades.
- Care before and after flowering - water well and do not forget about feeding, thanks to them the bush will not be depleted.
- What to do if it does not bloom is better to transplant to a better place and water well.
What should be the soil?
A loose fertile soil is needed, preferably slightly acidic (maybe acidic), moist, but without stagnant water.
Planting can be different: seeds and seedlings. When buying seedlings, it is better to choose a single root, you can plant it in spring and summer, it is better to go to a permanent place in the garden in partial shade.
- Seeds can be sown from January to March in the nutrient soil (necessarily loose), do not dig them deep, you only need to press lightly. Water very carefully, it is best to spray water.
- Capacity with seeds before germination should be covered with glass and provide lighting 12 hours a day using fitolampy.
- After the emergence of seedlings, remove the glass, continue to maintain humidity and light, and when the 3 leaves grow, then seedlings sprout in separate containers.
- In the spring or early summer, these “babies” can be planted in a garden in a suitable place protected from the winds (or a year later in the spring).
They will begin to bloom in 2 or 3 years, with this planting method you can get a plant with improved properties.
The lowest temperature that this shrub is able to withstand is 30 degrees of frost, and the highest is 30 degrees Celsius, the optimum is from minus 10 to plus 25 degrees.
Rhododendron is very moisture-loving, in extreme heat it is imperative to deeply water about 2 to 3 times a week. It will also be useful in the heat to carry out the sprinkling of a bush from a hose only over the leaves. Water should be soft, better acidified.
- Twice in a season, organic supplements should be applied in this form - one bush along a bucket of cow manure and rotted compost.
- At other times, fertilize with water extract of organic matter, it is also good to add double superphosphate during the budding period, flowering will be even more magnificent.
Remove only faded buds.
Replant the plant is best in the spring.
- You need to decide in advance on the place and prepare the landing pit, it should be wide enough and deep enough - about 2 times the root system of the bush.
- Add a nutrient substrate of peat, humus and well-rotted manure to it, mix everything up and add drainage.
- Shrub located in the center of the pit, gently sprinkle from all sides of the nutrient mixture, we tamp and pour.
- Top need to pour a layer of mulch - you can needles, sawdust or expanded clay.
- Before planting, the roots should be well saturated with water.
How to prepare for winter?
For the winter, you must:
- Zamulchirovat pristvolny circle of shrubs, before it is well shedding it with water (before frost).
- You also need to build a reliable support of wooden stakes in the form of a hut, you can still use covering material.
- Layering - a strip of bark is removed from the lower branch (incised) and this place is pressed to the ground, fixed with a bracket. The soil in this place must necessarily be loose, so that rooting easily occurs. A year later, the young seedling is ready for self-planting.
- Seeds - sow on seedlings in winter, and planted in open ground is better in a year.
- Cuttings - cut them in the spring from the apical parts, the ground requires light and loose, greenhouse conditions. This process is quite long, rooting takes place for almost half a year.
Diseases and pests
Diseases that can occur in Rhododendron Katevbinskogo, mainly due to improper soil (too dense) and water stagnation. Because of this fungal diseases such as chlorosis, rust or spotting may occur. It is urgent to adjust the watering and, if necessary, transplant the shrub, and also treat it with iron chelate.
"Favorite" insects - pests:
For the treatment you need to apply any fungicide - "Diazin" or "Thiram".
Absolutely all types of rhododendrons are distinguished by a unique feature. In addition to its beauty, many still bring utilitarian benefits, are able to heal, quench their thirst with the help of tea from their wonderful flowers. Unfortunately, for some reason, some people are afraid to plant this miracle of nature on their land and it is completely in vain. You just need to follow the advice and everything will work out.
Rhododendron Katevbinsky or in Latin Rhododéndron catawbiense is a representative of the Vereskov family and, perhaps, most popular view of evergreen rhododendrons.
The homeland of the plant is the eastern part of North America, where the shrub grows on the mountain slopes, forming extensive flowering thickets in large open spaces or under the canopy of tall trees.
Rhododendron Katevbinsky in 1809 settled in Europe, where it was introduced by the very first of all the genus Rhododendrons. Thanks extraordinary decoration and excellent winter hardiness He gained immense popularity not only in all European countries, but also in Russia.
Plant actively used for breeding new rhododendron varieties that are not afraid of harsh winters. On the basis of the Katevbinsky rhododendron, varieties such as “Grandiflorum”, “Roseum Eleganse”, “Album novum” that are widespread in Russian latitudes are bred.
Rhododendron Grandiflorum (Katevbinsky) is a large-leaved shrub with a lush rounded crown, reaching 4 meters in height.
Plant is a long-lived and is capable of up to 100 years to please the grower. The elongated ellipsoidal leaves of the plant are very decorative. They are painted in dark green and cast a glossy shine.
However, most of all rhododendron Katevbinsky is valued for the luxurious bloom that has won him the title of "rosewood". Shrub flowers in shape resemble large bells up to 6 cm in circumference. They are collected in a lush racemose, in which you can count up to 20 such bells.
More information about this shrub can be in the photo below:
Shrub begins to bloom in May. Flowering lasts a month, after which the plant tied fruit in the form of seed pods. Seeds ripen in October.
Rhododendron Katevbinsky gets on the site of the gardener most often in the form of a sapling, purchased in the garden center.
Wherein for successful cultivation This shrub is important the correct choice of seedlings. On sale often there are specimens brought from Holland and France with a warm climate. Such seedlings are unlikely to take root in our climate zone.
For Russian latitudes, it is desirable to choose rhododendrons grown in similar conditions, for example, in nurseries in Finland.
It is best to stop the choice on a two to three year old sapling with a root system placed in a container. Before buying a bush must be inspected. In healthy rhododendron, the leaves have a smooth green color without signs of chlorosis or necrosis.
Plant a plant possible in the spring, as well as during the summer until the end of August. You should choose a place where a lot of diffused light. Ideal plot in the penumbra under a high spreading tree. The bush should grow at a distance of no closer than 2 meters from the tree.
It is not desirable that the rhododendron is located near the trees that have a superficial root system, they will oppress the rhododendron. The best neighbors of the shrub are spruce, pine and larch. It is necessary that the site was protected from cold winds.
Like all heather, he needs a loose, peaty and humus-rich soil with an acidity of pH from 4.5 to 5.5. For its preparation is best to take brown peat with a suitable acidity. Three parts of peat need to be mixed with two parts of coniferous litter and one part of coarse sand.
If necessary, pine litter is replaced by rotted leaves or rotted (not fresh!) Sawdust obtained from coniferous trees. This composition of the soil It has the correct acid reaction, breathability, moisture content and is not caking. You can also use the purchased substrate for rhododendrons.
Rhododendron Katevbinsky has compact root system therefore does not need a big landing hole. Its optimal dimensions are 60 cm in diameter and 40 cm in depth. The pit is recommended to be prepared a couple of weeks before planting. For such a pit requires about 8 buckets of fertile soil. It is thoroughly mixed, they fill the landing pit and tamped.
Next, on the site of the planting hole, they dig out the hole to the size of the root ball, put a seedling in it and cover the roots with the extracted soil in such a way that there are no voids between them.
When landing root neck is not buried. The bush should be planted at the same depth as it grew in the container. At the end of the work, the ground is well shed and mulched with pine needles or chopped wood chips. При посадке следует очень осторожно обращаться с корневым комом и стараться не повредить живущую на корнях грибницу, которая обеспечивает растение полноценным питанием.
Требования по уходу
Как и всякому растению, рододендрону Катевбинскому (грандифлорум) при посадке и уходе, нужны регулярные полив и прополка.
At the same time, in no case can the soil be loosened - the shrub exists in close symbiosis with mushrooms, and careless loosening can damage the mycelium so useful to the plant.
For the same reason, weed weeds around the rhododendron should be manually. If weed has grown under a bush with very long roots, special care is required to remove it from the ground. You can also use a brush to brush the weeds with a herbicide to kill them.
Each large bush will take about 50 liters. When watering it is important to observe breaks, waiting until the next portion of water is absorbed into the ground. The most preferable option is early morning or evening watering with rainwater.
Hard water, for example, from a well, can be softened and acidified by adding a little acetic acid (1%) to it at the rate of 2 tablespoons per 10 liters of water or citric acid - 3-4 g per 10-liter bucket. Another simplest acidification method is the use of colloidal sulfur. For young rhododendron, 1-2 times a year is enough to pour a package weighing 40 g into the near-stem circle, and for a bush of at least 1 m - 2 packs.
Another way to soften water is to add brown peat to it. The mixture is thoroughly stirred and defended during the day. During hot weather and drought, sprinkling is very useful for rhododendron. An important condition is that ash, dolomite, lime and other substances alkalizing the soil should not fall into the root zone feeding zone.
When using conventional fertilizers, the plant is fed as follows: in early spring ammonium nitrate (10 to 15 g / l) is applied, before the appearance of buds - the mineral complex, and in the last days of August - potassium sulfate, which increases the frost resistance of the bush. Fertilizer should be applied necessarily in the form of a solution and in a moist soil. Chlorine and calcium should be excluded from supplements.
In winter, snow melt, temperature drops and frost represent certain danger to rhododendron - its bushes can break.
To avoid this, the radical circle must be mulled for the winter.
Also, a large-sized bush should be tied up and fastened on a support - for example, a hut of stakes around the shrub wrapped with non-woven material such as a spunbond is perfect.
When snow falls, rhododendron is desirable to fall asleep young snowball. If necessary, you can bend down its high branches, so that they too are “wrapped up” with snow. In the spring, after the snow melts and the earth thaws, the covering material is removed.
Rhododendron can multiply in several ways:
- Seeds which is best sown on seedlings in January. Sow seeds superficially, they germinate in the light at a temperature of about 20 ° C. Transplantation in open ground - in the spring of the second year of life. The root collar can not be buried.
- Layering. With this method, a small piece of bark is removed from the branch, after which it is pressed against the nutrient and loose earth and fixed with a bracket. For the year grows quite large layers. A year later, you can separate it and put it on a new place.
- Cuttings which, unfortunately, take too long to take root - it takes from 4 to 6 months.
Pests and diseases
Rhododendrons fairly stable to pests and diseases. The most frequent problem is soil alkalization, from which the leaves become sick with chlorosis - their veins turn yellow.
This condition is easily corrected by timely acidification of the soil. More serious is the case when the plant is damaged by a fungal or viral infection, why rhododendron fades.
It is important to timely cut off the diseased branches, disinfect the sections with coal or garden pitch, and then water the plant twice or three times with an interval of 7 or 10 days with the Trichodermin solution. In case of severe damage, any systemic fungicide can be used. And if they attack leaf pests, an insecticide like "Aktara" will come to the rescue.
Characteristic and description
Azalea Katevbinskaya is an evergreen shrub, one of the most vigorous and winter-hardy varieties. In the year he adds in height of 6-8 cm, an adult plant can reach 2-3 meters in height. Dark green leathery and shiny leaves also have impressive size - they grow up to 15 cm long. The barrel may be dark gray or have a brown tint.
The flowers look like wide (6 cm) bells of lilac or lilac color with a yellow-red pattern. In their inflorescence can be up to 20 pieces. Hybrid forms of azaleas Katevbinskoy boast crimson, purple, red, white, pink and blue flowers.
Azalea shallow root system - 30-40 cm. It develops mainly in litter and humus.
Types of rhododendron Katevbinsky
- Album (CatawbienseAlbum)
Pink buds of this species have the shape of a funnel and are marked with white, green or brown specks. Like all azalea flowers, they are odorless, but infest with inflorescences (13-20 flowers in each).
- Grandiflorum (Catawbiense Grandiflorum)
One of the most common and reliable varieties. Its flowers, blooming in June, have a light-purple tinge with greenish spots, and the upper petals are decorated with a golden-brown pattern. The bush grows thick and powerful, a spreading crown of compact inflorescences crowns the trunk with dark gray bark.
- Bursault (CatawbienseBoursault)
The dark gray trunk of this rhododendron is crowned with a spreading crown of dense dark purple blossoms with greenish-yellow spots. The height of the shrub usually reaches one and a half to two meters.
- White (CatawbienseCunningamWhite)
Numerous white flowers of this species are decorated with yellow-green specks. It happens that it blooms twice in the summer. In case of freezing in winter, it is easily restored.
Rhododendron Katevbinskaya grandiflorum - planting and care
The best time to plant is spring. When purchasing seedlings, it is important to make the right choice: you need to choose the first option from your own rooted and grafted seedlings.
Azalea - photophilous plant however, you should not choose an open place for it - from the direct rays of the sun the plant can burn. It is better to plant it in sheltered from the wind in the penumbra, for example, under the canopy of trees. Rhododendron loves water very much, so it will be useful before planting. put the seedling in the water.
At the place chosen for planting you need to dig a hole 50 x 70 cm. Root system does not need to be buried - it should rise 2-4 cm above the soil level, taking into account the subsequent subsidence.
Rhododendron loves fertile, fresh, slightly acidic or acidic soil. It should be loose, enriched with organic matter. Peat and leafy ground mixed with sand and rotted pine sawdust will do. Good drainage and annual mulching with peat and pine needles are needed. They will retain moisture and protect the roots from weeds and damage.
Azalea does not tolerate heat and dry weathertherefore, abundant and deep watering is necessary in summer. However, do not allow waterlogging and stagnation of water - his plant also can not stand. Twice or thrice a week it is recommended to water it with soft acidified water.
- fertilizer / dressing
It is recommended to feed young shrubs in early spring and after flowering. Adult plants are enough to fertilize once a season. The dose of top dressing is one bucket per root and includes rotted cow manure and decomposed compost.
It has a beneficial effect on the health of the plant and mineral fertilizers with NPK in a ratio of 2: 1: 1.5 (ammonium sulphate, superphosphate and potassium sulphate) - 30–40 g per square meter. It should also be added in spring; young plants should be given it in liquid form.
After flowering, you can fertilize a mixture of phosphorus and potash fertilizers (2: 1) - this will well affect the process of formation of buds next year. However, it is better not to postpone feeding at the end of summer and later, otherwise new shoots will grow that will freeze in winter.
Rhododendron blooms in late May - early June and gladdens gardeners with bright colors for 3-4 weeks. The diameter of the lush crown with proper care of the plant, can reach two meters. After flowering, all wilted inflorescences must be removed so that they do not interfere with the formation of new buds.
Pruning is not a mandatory procedure - it can retard growth and flowering. However, if you want to give the crown of rhododendron neatness, you can cut it in May. You can replace the trim by pinching.
- breeding methods
Katevbinsky rhododendron is grown from seeds that ripen in late October. They adapt well to local conditions, and the color of the resulting plants will vary. In this way, you can get multicolored flowers and make the flowerbed as diverse as possible.
You can also propagate by rhododendron with semi-lignified shoots 7–9 cm long. They are cut in the middle of spring and in the middle of summer so that the cut is oblique. The 3 bottom sheets should be removed, leaving a tip of 0.5 cm, the remaining leaves should be cut half in length.
Planted shoots to be in a substrate of 3 cm coarse sand and 10 cm of coniferous soil. A drainage layer of 2-3 cm will be pebbles and broken shards.
- autumn care - preparation for winter
At the end of the summer, colloidal sulfur will be useful in the soil: it will slow down the growth of fungi and acidify the soil. It is also recommended to treat rhododendron with a fungicide against fungi. Continue watering until the ground freezes.
- how to hide rhododendron
In winter, it is necessary to protect the evergreen shrubs from the sun and wind. It is enough to shelter from sticks, boards or boxes. On top of all this you need to wrap non-woven material. If rhododendron grows in the shade, you can take a chance and leave it for the winter without shelter.
Rhododendron Grandiflorum (Katevbinsky)
There is an opinion that Grandiflorum rhododendron is a very capricious plant, and only an experienced gardener can grow it in its area. Yes, perhaps this is true, because such a handsome man needs special care and attention.
However, given some features of care, you will be able to "tame" such an amazing creation and make it an indispensable decoration for the garden.
Homeland katevbinskogo rhododendron
The unique shrub belongs to the Vereskov family and is considered one of the most popular evergreens of its kind. Its homeland is called the eastern regions of North America, where the flower massively conquers the slopes of the mountains, creating continuous flowering thickets on large open areas or under the canopy of tall trees. At the beginning of the 19th century, a tropical resident appeared in the European space, where he quickly gained great popularity and respect. Due to the presentable appearance and good resistance to our winters, the flower has become a very valuable find for connoisseurs of exotic vegetation living in harsh conditions.
In addition to the Grandiflorum variety, such species as Rhododendron Daursky and Caucasian.
Features flowering Katevbinskogo rhododendron
Large shrub with lush flowering and rounded crown grows up to 4 meters in height, and its lifespan reaches 100 years. Of particular decorative value are elongated ellipsoidal leaves, which are characterized by a dark green color and the presence of reflux with a glossy shine.
Flower growers also treat the plant with respect at the expense of luxurious inflorescences with characteristic pink tones, which gave rise to the name "rose tree".
Shrub flowers have the shape of bells and a diameter of 6 centimeters in circumference. In one racemes up to 20 such bells, which look simply amazing.
As for the color palette of rhododendron Grandiflorum, it is presented in different shades, including:
- light purple
Flowering shrubs begins in May and lasts until mid-June, after which seed boxes appear near the inflorescences. Ripening occurs in October.
Other landing features
Despite a fairly strong and unpretentious immunity, certain varieties of rhododendrons need enhanced care and proper handling. If you want to grow a culture on your site, it is important to carefully study such features as:
- soil composition
- drainage system
- watering regularity
- air humidity indicators
- no drafts or strong winds,
A huge variety of varieties reacts poorly to exposure to drafts and contact with direct sunlight, so when growing a crop at home it is important to choose the right place for further growth of the flower. It is very good if in its quality a plot near a lush coniferous tree with taproot will be used. Such a shelter will be a good protection from the wind and summer unbearable heat, and a comfortable soil composition will allow the young shrub to develop more actively and efficiently.
Do not plant rhododendron near fruit crops.because they are able to aggressively influence its growth and take many valuable substances and nutrients from the soil. As a result, it can cause the death of a blooming handsome man.
If there is no opportunity to plant a shrub in a suitable place and provide it with ideal conditions for normal development, make a small temporary shelter for rhododendron, which will help it avoid the damaging effects of winds and direct ultraviolet radiation.
Rhododendrons are characterized by an underdeveloped fibrous root, so planting them to a great depth is not recommended. Small plants rooted loosely in grooves 30 centimeters deep. Larger ones are in half meter. Do not forget that rhododendron reacts badly to excessive waterlogging of the soil, therefore the arrangement of the drainage system must be carried out taking into account many landing rules. As a drainage, claydite or natural pebbles perform well.
- Large shrub, height from 2 to 4 m, less often - 6 m. In a year it grows on average by 10 cm. It has a semicircular and dense crown. The diameter of the crown in an adult shrub, can reach, with proper care, 2 m.
- The long-liver, he lives more than 100 years.
- It has a brown, unlike Dahurian, shade of bark.
- A leaf like an ellipse is longish, from 6 to 15 cm in length and 5 cm in width. In its upper part - dark green with glitter, and below - pale, with clear veins.
- Blooms R. Katevbinsky from May to June. The flowers resemble bells and are lilac-purple, white, light purple or purple-red shades. They are quite large - 6 cm in circumference and there are up to 20 pieces in the inflorescence. During this period, the plant is unimaginably beautiful.
- Fruits in the form of boxes that ripen around October.
The most famous hybrids based on R. Katevbinsky, which are quite widespread in our country:
- Rhododendron catawbiense "grandiflorum" (rhododendron catabiences grandiflorum),
- Rhododendron catawbiense "Album novum" (Album Novum)
- Rhododendron catawbiense "Roseum Eleganse" (roseum elegance).
Katevbinsky rhododendron always plays a major role in the garden, attracting the eye, stimulating a festive and solemn mood.
Shrubs are planted at the gazebo, benches, they are decorated with bends of paths, create colorful compositions, alternating the plant with different perennials and ornamental plants. Beautifully look, planted near trees or shrubs with a dense crown, for example, thuja or pine.
Rhododendron catabiences grandiflorum tolerates shade well, but still prefers lighted places. Diffused light under the canopy of trees or the shadow of the wall of the house, also suitable, although such a place may affect the flowering.
This perennial does not like drafts, so you should definitely take care of protection from draining winds.
The soil for him, too, must meet certain criteria. Well, if it is sufficiently moist and loose, rich in organic matter. Before disembarking, R. was good to put in the water - he is a big fan of moisture. Do not forget to take seriously the acidity of the soil! It should be sour or slightly acid. Peat mixed with sand or rotted pine sawdust is allowed.
What properties rhododendron Katevbinsky won the hearts of many breeders? It is its stability and adaptation to the cold climate. But in the northern areas it is still necessary to take care of the frame shelter for the winter, especially young plants.
Abundant deep watering is required in strong heat - the bush does not tolerate dry time. Therefore, 2-3 times a week, water it with acidified soft water.
Shrub demanding fertile soil. More often it is necessary to feed young plants - after flowering and in early spring, and less often adults - once a season.
In May, you can trim the crown to give it beauty and elegance. But do not forget that it delays flowering and growth. Pinching is permissible instead of trimming.
With proper care, rhododendron Catevba blooms profusely and continuously, and will always give you pleasure with its beauty. Very good, he is paired with another rhododendron - Daurian, which you can read about in our other article: Daurian rhododendron